RE: Credit hour amount counts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biozeta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the number of credits one takes during a semester count as long as one is full-time? Say I take 13 credits. Would med schools rather I take a heavier load (15-17), or does it not matter as long as I'm filling my pre-reqs on time? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

if you're taking 13 units a quarter/semester and managing a 3.4 and someone else is taking 20 units and manages a 3.4, they will be favored. The idea is that if you struggle with a fairly small course load you may not be an ideal candidate for medical school. If you do well and can get sufficient units to graduate it won't hurt anything
if you have to work to support yourself i think they take that into account as well

I would keep your average number of credits at around 14, but you can take 13 credits for a couple semesters if you need to. It is always better to take fewer credits and get better grades than more credits with worse grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the number of credits one takes during a semester count as long as one is full-time? Say I take 13 credits. Would med schools rather I take a heavier load (15-17), or does it not matter as long as I'm filling my pre-reqs on time? Thanks!

Common wisdom around here suggests that grades are what matter most. If you're taking 13 credits a semester and pulling a 3.7 that will put you in a better position than someone taking 19 credits a semester and pulling a 3.4. However, you will be expected to have extracurriculars, perhaps even slightly more than other individuals because you have less academic obligations.

Of course, the ideal would be someone that took higher credits and maintained high grades, but I think you should focus on keeping your GPA strong first.

Personally, I've found there to be very little between a 15 credit vs 13 credit load. It shouldn't be so hard to get those extra two credits in. The key to high credit load semesters is picking your schedule smart. When I took a heavy load, I would make sure to mix in a few classes that I knew were easy either by reputation, ratemyprofessor, etc.

I agree with narmerguy, and would like to add that no adcom is going to take the time to look at the specific number of credits you took each semester and judge your GPA accordingly. The difficulty of a given credit load can vary wildly depending on the type of classes you're taking and whether you're taking labs. Moreover, some students are forced to stick to the minimum credit load because of work or other obligations.