re-entering clinical rotations 6 months late (10 year total) or delay graduation (11 years total)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ganglia777

Reaction score
Due to me finishing my PhD off-cycle, I can either re-enter 6 months late or delay graduation by a year.

Since my PhD almost 6 years (partially my fault and partially my advisors fault that it took this long), it would have taken me a total of 10 years to finish both degrees if I start clinicals off-cycle in January. I'm afraid I won't be up to par with the current 3rd year students, and am legitimately afraid that I may fail a rotation due to having forgotten how to do a physical exam, etc. However I feel like I would be better at playing politics, being well liked, etc. than the average med student, having worked in a corporate environment before. I have the option to wait until the next year's 3rd year students enter, but then it would have taken me 11 years to finish both degrees.

Is there any disadvantage when it comes to applying for residency (pathology) if it took 11 years to finish the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Only disadvantage I can realistically think about is if your board scores will expire (I think the current limit is 7 yrs). You can check w/ the state-specific requirements for licensure to see if they'll grant exceptions (e.g. check on FSMB).

I was under the impression that entering the clinic, one should put themselves at the best advantage to shine and show the residency programs that they have what it takes to successfully complete their clinical training. With that thought in mind, I don't think that a 10 or 11 MD/PhD will make a huge difference if your clinical grades and board scores are up to snuff.

Curious to see what the people further down the path will say.

Only disadvantage I can realistically think about is if your board scores will expire (I think the current limit is 7 yrs). You can check w/ the state-specific requirements for licensure to see if they'll grant exceptions (e.g. check on FSMB).

I was under the impression that entering the clinic, one should put themselves at the best advantage to shine and show the residency programs that they have what it takes to successfully complete their clinical training. With that thought in mind, I don't think that a 10 or 11 MD/PhD will make a huge difference if your clinical grades and board scores are up to snuff.

Curious to see what the people further down the path will say.
piggybacking here:

I believe the "expiration" counts from your step 1 date; if you're taking 11 years total, then step 1->3 would be 9-10 years, depending on how soon after graduation you take step 3. Many states also do MD/PhD exemptions. The hardest part of "delay" is that step 1 score rise and increasing competition, depending on what your residency plans are. However, this is more of a issue with the addition of all phd years in comparison to your new medical school class rather than the difference between 10 and 11 years total.

also random @eteshoe : how far along are you in this journey?

Reactions: 1 user
piggybacking here:

I believe the "expiration" counts from your step 1 date; if you're taking 11 years total, then step 1->3 would be 9-10 years, depending on how soon after graduation you take step 3. Many states also do MD/PhD exemptions. The hardest part of "delay" is that step 1 score rise and increasing competition, depending on what your residency plans are. However, this is more of a issue with the addition of all phd years in comparison to your new medical school class rather than the difference between 10 and 11 years total.

also random @eteshoe : how far along are you in this journey?

@nonamesleft I think i'm about 1/2 through the PhD (hopefully just another 2 yrs or so). First project hit a wall but second project starting gaining traction. Also got my F30 so I'm not too stressed about taking a little bit extra time. From your sig, I assume you're back on the wards?