Re: Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gluteus maximus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
Welcome back!! How did the interviews go? Share some of your experiences.
GM

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
There are some interview comments in a thread started by mhdousa. Very few comments though-I guess there aren't many future peds in cyberspace. or maybe folks in the more competitive specialities are a bit more nervous.

University of Ark: Worked hard intern year, but residencts commented that second year was very cush. Has "hospitalist-like" team made up of upper level residents which takes heat off other teams during peak months. PD very nice and genuine.

University of Tenn: Works very hard, but residents seemed to love it. Will see EVERYTHING. Good comraderie (Sp?). St. Jude-big cancer research-very nice.

St.Louis Univer: Laid back residents who seemed very happy. Good 80hr plan. Building new patient tower. Good patient path-medicaid population.

Wash U: Very nice physical plant. Seems the residents were a bit research oriented (quite a few MD/PhDs). New peds research facility. Lots of subspecialty experience

Can anyone comment on Wash U vs SLU?
What type of feedback have you guys been getting?
C'mon. The ROL clock is tickin', even FP thread has some action!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have gotten feedback from most of my interviews, some were thank you notes for my thank you note, and others were more generic "glad you considered us, hope you enjoyed the visit, feel free to ask questions" types. I did get a few personal cards from residents or interviewers. I am just wondering if this is what everyone else is getting also?

First off, I DID NOT interview at SLU, so I can not say anything about it objectively. I did interview at Wash U.

First reputation you were asking about, no doubt that Wash U has a better reputation nationally as far as an academic center and national leader.

At Wash U on interview day we rounded with team. Very freaking busy, no teaching on rounds, residents sharp as a tack, I saw teamwork. The upper level was very concerned about even distrib of patients. Nice residents. Not the most laid back place.

Wash U has very few months that are not q4 and I think that makes it rigorous.

PD Keating is the nicest guy you will ever meet.

Lunch conference was great, led by a third year, no obnoxious people.

Overall Wash U I think suites someone who gets off on being very busy and learning from brut volume.

Hosptial beautiful, private patient rooms. Doing some expansion of NICU (oh god, more patients)

SLU--again, know nothing about it other than they did not fill through the match last year and talked to a couple of people on the interview trail who said it is definately not in the same league as Wash U.

Hope this helps. I liked Wash U but I feel that I would get burned out there and I need a little more "hand holding" and more personal teaching.

Good luck.

Thanks jdog. Your reply was very helpful..

Michigangrl and GM, are you guys gonna post?