Re-Invention / Comeback WAMC and School List (Long Post)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomChance

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit of a comeback(?)/reinvention(?)/career changer(?)/WAMC(?) all in one. Quite a long post – there is a TLDR at the bottom!

Undergrad:

Went to my state school and didn’t do well. I had some significant hardships with a recovering drug addict/alcoholic father and a continuously relapsing mother from high school until my junior year of college. My undergrad performance went as follows:

Fall 2012 Term: 2.58

Spring 2013 Term: 3.00

Fall 2013 Term: 3.15

Spring 2014 Term: 3.16

Fall 2014 Term: 2.72

Spring 2015 Term: 3.27

Fall 2015 Term: 3.68*

Spring 2016 Term: 3.80*

Undergrad Cumulative: 3.14; Undergrad Science: ~3.09

I joined an undergraduate research laboratory and also presented my findings at our universities’ undergraduate research conference

Also note: In Fall 2014 I received a “C-“ in Organic Chemistry I; in Spring 2015 I received a “B+” in Organic Chemistry II, - I imagine this may preclude me from applying to any institutions that require “1 year” of Organic Chemistry because they require a “C” or better grade to fulfill that prerequisite.

Post-Undergrad:

After graduation I worked for a pharmaceutical company as a quality control consultant on a stage 2 non-inferiority clinical trial. I worked with them for about seven months under my contract (it was decent money to keep afloat!) while simultaneously pursuing my EMT-B certification because I was super-interested in EMS and emergency medicine. Right after I received my NREMT and BLS certifications – I also received a job offer from a Harvard/MGH lab to join as a Research Technologist. I decided to put the EMS tract on hold, and I moved to Boston. I spent two years in research and I co-authored nine publications (e.g. Nature, Anesthesiology, Anesthesia & Analgesia, etc.), with another manuscript currently in peer-review. I was never higher than third-author, so I don’t know how much weight these publications hold.

I thought about potentially pursuing a PhD. Toward the middle of my second year at the lab – I went on a vacation to a foreign country and received a severe infection that required me to fly back to the United States for treatment where I had a stint in the ICU. This re-energized my interest in medicine, and is the topic of my personal statement.

Graduate:

I left my Harvard/MGH lab and enrolled in one of the better-known SMP programs *cough*BUMAMS*cough* to see if I was prepared for medical school. After two years, I graduated with my master’s of science this past May with a gGPA: 3.63 (I believe the sgGPA: is also 3.63) and my graduate thesis (conducted under my previous Harvard/MGH lab) received a letter grade of “A’.

Post-Graduate:

During late October of 2019, I began working per-diem evening/night shift as a medical technologist in clinical microbiology in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine for one of the major hospitals in Boston, while also working on my master’s thesis. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit – I increased my hours - and have since been hired-on as a full-time medical technologist in clinical microbiology and molecular diagnostics. Over the past few months – I have directly tested thousands of patients across multiple platforms for SARS-CoV-2, as well as performing my regular duties with mycobacterium tuberculosis testing, RAPID Gram Stains, RAPID HIV testing, RAPID blood testing, GI-Panels, Meningitis-Panels, and a host of other testing for infectious diseases.

Other EC’s:

• Since 2011 I have been an active member of an ALS research fund that has raised over $335,000 to directly support ALS research at an unnamed medical school. In 2016 I was promoted to an official committee member. This past year I created our first website so that we can increase the life-span of our fund, and potentially reach a new demographic.
  • I worked part-time throughout high school and college at a maternity store for five years (from 2010-2015)
  • I spent my undergrad sophomore year summer in the Bakken oil fields as a Non-Destructive Testing Engineer Level 1 in order to help pay for my college tuition.
  • >40 hours Physician Shadowing
  • EMT-B and BLS certification. I never utilized it – but I included it anyway because it taught me a lot about the EMS system and emergency medicine – and there were multiple clinical rotations that had direct patient care.
MCAT:

Took the MCAT three times, the first time was so that I could apply to MAMS. Studied pretty much the same way for the first two – and did poorly– but changed my study methodology from content review to just heavy practicing for my third take:

03/24/2016: 501 (122/127/128/124)

06/15/2019: 503 (127/126/126/124)

06/27/2020: 512 (127/126/129/130)

Letters:

• Committee Letter from BU MAMS
  • Letter from my previous PI who is very high up at MGH and HMS.
  • Letter from my current department Chief
School List:

BOLDED
– Schools where I think I may get some in-state/regional love. I was born/raised in NH but I have lived/worked/studied in MA for the past ~4 years.

Allopathic:

BU

Georgetown

Drexel

Albany

Tufts

Tulane

Miami

Case Western

Duke

UCSF

Columbia

Dartmouth

George Washington

New York Medical College

Vanderbilt

Mount Sinai (Icahn)

Hofstra

Stony Brook

Harvard

Rush

Wayne State

Rosalind Franklin

Loyola

Cincinnati

EVMS

Temple

Wash. U

Virginia

Northwestern

Saint Louis

UMASS

Stanford

Michigan

Columbia

Duke

USF

John Hopkins

Yale

Chicago

Jefferson

Mayo

California Northstate

Creighton

Michigan State

Oakland Beaumont

Quinnipiac

Rochester

Wright State

Central Michigan

Osteopathic:

Oklahoma State

Michigan State

Ohio

PCOM

AZCOM

CCOM

Des Moines

Rowan

Kansas City

NYITCOM

UNECOM

Rocky Vista

TLDR:

uGPA: 3.14

usGPA: 3.09

smpGPA: 3.63

MCAT: 501 -> 503 -> 512

LizzyM: 68.30

Okay EC’s / 9 pubs / good letters. 27 and non-URM

Any and all advice is appreciated – particularly and lower-tier MD schools you might think I could be in range for.

-RC

Members don't see this ad.

Vermont.
I don't expect you'll get much love from Harvard or BU, but it's worth a shot!

Reactions: 1 users
You have several schools on your list that are unrealistic reaches with your stats as well as state public schools that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
BU
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYIT
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
ACOM
PCOM (all schools)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@LunaOri I only have Boston University included because if you have graduated from their BUMAMS program, you are only compared against other BUMAMS applicants for the cycle instead of against the general applicant pool. I have added Vermont! Thanks for the tip – I am unsure if they have a regional preference or not, but maybe I’ll get some neighboring state love. As for Harvard? My PI strongly encouraged me to apply MD/PhD to Harvard since he’s a chaired professor there and hopes I can come back to do my PhD under him – but I know it’s just a donation.

@Faha Thanks for the list! I have updated my school list below:

Allopathic:

George Washington

Georgetown

Albany

Boston University

Harvard

Tufts

Drexel

Tulane

Miami (Leonard)

Dartmouth

New York Medical College

Wright State

Rush

Rosalind Franklin

Loyola

Cincinnati

EVMS

Nova

Temple

Washington University (?)

Virginia Commonwealth

Saint Louis

UMass

California Northstate

Michigan State

USF

Jefferson

Creighton

Oakland Beaumont

Quinnipiac

Rochester

Vermont

Medical College of Wisconsin

Seton Hall (Hackensack)

TCU & UNTHSC

Wake Forest

Osteopathic:

Oklahoma State

Michigan State

Ohio

PCOM

AZCOM

CCOM

Des Moines

Rowan

Kansas City

NYITCOM

UNECOM

Rocky Vista

ACOM

Perhaps I can also call on the wise @Goro - I tried to follow your reinvention guide as I went through this path, but I am a little bit shy of the marks you targeted. Or the wise @gonnif , @LizzyM , or @Catalystik for WAMC/School list advice.

I am taking the Casper test tomorrow and am pre-writing secondaries - I am on tract to have all secondaries completed by labor day.

Reactions: 1 user
@LunaOri I only have Boston University included because if you have graduated from their BUMAMS program, you are only compared against other BUMAMS applicants for the cycle instead of against the general applicant pool. I have added Vermont! Thanks for the tip – I am unsure if they have a regional preference or not, but maybe I’ll get some neighboring state love. As for Harvard? My PI strongly encouraged me to apply MD/PhD to Harvard since he’s a chaired professor there and hopes I can come back to do my PhD under him – but I know it’s just a donation.

@Faha Thanks for the list! I have updated my school list below:

Allopathic:

George Washington

Georgetown

Albany

Boston University

Harvard

Tufts

Drexel

Tulane

Miami (Leonard)

Dartmouth

New York Medical College

Wright State

Rush

Rosalind Franklin

Loyola

Cincinnati

EVMS

Nova

Temple

Washington University (?)

Virginia Commonwealth

Saint Louis

UMass

California Northstate

Michigan State

USF

Jefferson

Creighton

Oakland Beaumont

Quinnipiac

Rochester

Vermont

Seton Hall (Hackensack)

TCU & UNTHSC

Wake Forest

Osteopathic:

Oklahoma State

Michigan State

Ohio

PCOM

AZCOM

CCOM

Des Moines

Rowan

Kansas City

NYITCOM

UNECOM

Rocky Vista

ACOM

Perhaps I can also call on the wise @Goro - I tried to follow your reinvention guide as I went through this path, but I am a little bit shy of the marks you targeted. Or the wise @gonnif , @LizzyM , or @Catalystik for WAMC/School list advice.

I am taking the Casper test tomorrow and am pre-writing secondaries - I am on tract to have all secondaries completed by labor day.
hahaha good luck on the casper, I am taking it today too.

Here is a more realistic list

George Washington
Georgetown
Albany
Tufts
Drexel
Tulane
Miami (Leonard)
New York Medical College
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
EVMS
Nova
Saint Louis
UMass (maybe)
Creighton
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall (Hackensack)
TCU & UNTHSC
Wake Forest
Your state school

DO
Ohio COM
PCOM
AZCOM
CCOM ( but check their tuition)
Des Moines
Kansas City
LECOM
NYITCOM
MUCOM
UNECOM
VCOM
Rocky Vista
ACOM
TUNCOM
TOURO. NY AND MT
CUSOM

Harvard in the other top schools on your list will be donations. They don't need the money, take your SOS out to dinner once the COVID-19 crisis is done.

Relying on your research Bona fides to get you into a top school is not realistic.

Being a three-time MCAT Taker and getting a top score that's right around median telegraphs to me that your best chances will be with DO schools rather than MD

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users