Re: Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crawgator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and just have a couple of questions to all who will listen- I have currently accepted into a PA program, but having a couple of doubts about job availablity once I graduate. I was actually accepted into into a BSN program where I reside, but chose to drop out of nursing school after one week with intentions of going to PA school. Already I am starting to have doubts regarding salary also, so any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm also assuming that as an RN, you have a greater ability to specialize if you so choosed. I recently spoke with the Nursing director, and she told me that I would have to fill out an appeal form to be considered for admission. Would any of you think that I would still have a chance to get in knowing that I voluntarily dropped out not due to my grades but only for school purposes. Any input regarding such a dilemma would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll speak from my own experience.

My first go-round with nursing school, I took the six weeks of summer classes, then when it was time to start classes in the fall, I got cold feet and didn't go. I called the director and told her I wanted to drop out. I had to reapply and petition the next year to be able to go back. When I went back, I had some family and personal issues the first semester of school and ended up making a D in one of my classes. I had to sit out a semester and petition to be able to retake the class. However, I chose to attend another school instead.

It sounds like you need to decide what you want to do and then do it. What kind of experience do you have with patients if you are planning to go to PA school? I've heard it's difficult to do well as a PA if you've never dealt with patients before, whether as a RN, MA, EMT, paramedic, etc.

You can either specialize as a RN or be a generalist, and if you don't like one specialty, you can always change. I work in ICU and plan to go back to school in a few years to be a CRNA.

Where I live RNs start around $15-17/hr. The pay is better in some areas, worse in others. With the shortage of nurses willing to work at the bedside, salaries will probably go up, if the hospitals can't keep finding more new grads to burn out before their time.

The PAs that I know had their jobs before they graduated. They mostly work for surgeons and assist in the OR and with seeing patients both in the hospital and in the office.

Hope this helps.

Dixie,

Great to know that you are from Louisiana also. I want to thank you for all of your helpful advikce. I am currently a Hospital Corpsman in the USN and have about 10 yrs of hands-on expierence. I have worked alongside both PAs and RNs. Anyway, I have to go to my school(Southeastern) and pick up the appeal form today to petition for readmission. I hope that I will be considered, knowing that my grades are above avg and the only reason that I dropped out during the first week of classes was my acceptance to PA school. I'm just worried that if I do the PA route, the opportunity for employment will be slim to none if you know what I mean. Almost forgot to ask you about your exp with this appeal process-- what do they consider? Can they disapprove my application for the upcoming class knowing that I already meet all of thier requirements? I can't see how if thier application process is GPA based. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I got your PM and I'll save your e-mail and PM mine back to you.

I went to UL-Lafayette and graduated in Dec. 2001. It was not there that I had to appeal; it was at University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. All I had to do was write a letter explaining my actions and reapply. I didn't have to go before a committee or anything; they sent me a letter telling me that I could return to school the next year. I hope things go well for your appeal.

If you really want to be a PA, though, you should go for it. The PA role was invented with corpsmen in mind, from what I understand. I'm sure it definitely pays more. Do you know any doctors that would be looking for a PA or a NP? I know of several PAs and NPs who already had their jobs lined up long before they graduated.

You could always get your RN, work for awhile and then go back to school to be a PA. You will definitely have a job if you graduate as a RN.

I wish you luck, and I will be e-mailing and PMing you soon.

Konni (DixieRN)