RE: Research Opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

Ahmad04

Well, I missed the deadline this year, but there is this awesome research opportunity next year, that I'd love doing. The only thing that drives me away from it, is that it requires dedication of 20 hours a week. Is that alot? Cuz I compare it to other research opens, and they all ask for around 5-6 hours a week, and you get alot more money 'n stuff. For the first quarter, you don't get any stipend, but credit...I guess. After that, I think you get around $1500 per quarter. If you take up on the offer, I think you're required to put in I don't know 3-4 quarters, and that means a publication at the end of the year.

Is this worth it? Or should I just pursuit another one? Cuz I know for sure I'll love it, but I don't want to feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, let me get this straight. You work 20 hours a week (half a real job), you get paid $4,500-$6,000 (3-4 quarters), you're guaranteed to get your name on a publication, and you'd really like the work you'd be doing. Yeah, I can see where that set up would give you pause. I can see you have a difficult decision ahead of you. Please let us know what you decide.

That's awfully narrowminded. The majority of medically relevant research (like most clinical research) doesn't involve time-consuming molecular and cell biological projects, and a lot can be done in 5-6 hours a week, assuming you're not the only person working on a project. In fact, isn't this the way most undergrads get their research experience? And aren't undergrads the cream of our applicant pool?

Anyway, Ahmad, don't worry about being taken advantage of. Undergraduate research experience usually isn't paid for (unless you're getting some kind of grant for it). But 20 hours is a lot for someone taking a full course-load--THAT should be your major concern. It sounds like you're motivated to participate in this project, and if you can handle having less free time, then I would suggest that you definitely get involved in it. It will be WAY beneficial in the long run even if you aren't able to keep up your social life during the next year.

Originally posted by coldchemist

In fact, isn't this the way most undergrads get their research experience? And aren't undergrads the cream of our applicant pool?

Wow, that's kind of sour although I do agree with coldchemist. I heard so much of this kind of half-a$$ experience when I was an undergrad. But still, I believe you reap what you sow. hah hah!