Re-starting First Year of Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chibiutena

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i had a really hard time starting dental school my first year and essentially failed 2 courses first and second semester. I think despite my bio degree, I was very unprepared (at a lower tiered undergrad, you get away with a lot), school turned out to be pretty self-taught and I was wrestling with a number of things including depression and anxiety (which actually may or may not have come with school) which I have doctors referral and therapist meetings for.

I think a lot of my problems stem from the additional pressure of my family who live 10 minutes away. I think my school may allow me to repeat first year there second time around but I was wondering how difficult would it be to re-enter first year at another school at this point? Or another school where all their science courses aren't taken first year? I have no problem with the clinical aspects (the ones I care about) and have the wax-ups, casts and preps to prove it.

Is it too late now?

Members don't see this ad.

i had a really hard time starting dental school my first year and essentially failed 2 courses first and second semester. I think despite my bio degree, I was very unprepared (at a lower tiered undergrad, you get away with a lot), school turned out to be pretty self-taught and I was wrestling with a number of things including depression and anxiety (which actually may or may not have come with school) which I have doctors referral and therapist meetings for.

I think a lot of my problems stem from the additional pressure of my family who live 10 minutes away. I think my school may allow me to repeat first year there second time around but I was wondering how difficult would it be to re-enter first year at another school at this point? Or another school where all their science courses aren't taken first year? I have no problem with the clinical aspects (the ones I care about) and have the wax-ups, casts and preps to prove it.

Is it too late now?

Save your money. If you find 1st year dental school hard just wait until you are a practicing dentist...

Save your money. If you find 1st year dental school hard just wait until you are a practicing dentist...

The life of a practicing dentist is hardly as grueling as that of a dental student. You can forget about transferring to a different school at this point, especially if you didn't do so hot your first year there. I don't know of a single dental school that will not make their students take science classes their first two years. That's pretty much your foundation of knowledge for the rest of your dental career.

There are always people who, for whatever reason, don't quite get it right their first year. I know a few who took a year off, got back on their feet, and are now doing fairly well. Don't count yourself out just yet. Work hard. Every first year student is in for a rude awakening when they realize how much of a leap it is from undergrad to dental school. Just don't think that by transferring to a different school, you can get off on doing the hard stuff. We all have to go through the same initiation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who did it for med school..... it works just go back ready to work and have a new plan. Maybe move out into your own place and distance yourself fo rhte time being.

We had a guy in our class who was repeating. I don't know how much he improved, but he made it through on his second try.

I can't see any reason another school would take you, plus you would be better off staying put anyways. If you repeat, you will have seen everything before which I would imagine would be quite helpful.

You have the advantage of having already been through the same lectures, studied the same books and manuals, taken the same tests, and you even know what classes gave you trouble so that you can prepare for them over the summer. If you can't pass at your school the second time around then you can't pass anywhere.

If I were you, I would also be concerned with the fact that you were unable to adapt to the demands of dental school and step your game up after failing the first class or two. I got destroyed on my first two major science tests in first year, scoring in the mid 50s on both, but I tried to figure out where I went wrong and changed my game plan and didn't fail another test the rest of the year.

If you are allowed to repeat first year, this is what I would do:
1. Try to master the material for the two fall classes that you failed over the summer break.
2. Spend a lot more time studying during the school year. This means less time in front of the t.v., playing video games, on the internet, with the SO, or with family.
3. Ask classmates for help. While you are making those Fs, there are plenty of classmates making As. Get tips from them on what they are doing to master the material to the point of making As. Sometimes you'll find that they might make nice reviews or take better notes than you and they'll send you their study material.
4. Study with a partner or a group. It helps prevent you from blowing off planned study times since you are letting someone else down if you do. It is also good because you are more likely to verbalize the material when explaining it to your partner, which helps you retain it more. Also, your study partner is likely to think of things to remember that you wouldn't have thought of or help you figure out how to memorize stuff with whatever method they come up with if it's better than yours.
5. Shoot for an A on these classes that you struggle in. If you're only trying to pass, you're setting yourself up to fail again.