RE: student visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markdc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually managed to get a student visa processed as of yet? I'm getting this uneasy feeling about mine. (ie. visualizing myself getting turned back at the airport). The student visa is pretty much the last outstanding detail for me in a big list of details that I had to take care of. I want to leave for a vacation with no worries...

Has anyone ever not had their student visa processed in time for school?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question of my own.

My passport is about to get expired...and i still have my student visa on my old one...can i get the visa transfered to the new visa in Canada or do i have to wait until i return to Australia...and if i have to wait does that mean i have to carry my old passport with me??

markdc -- I just checked online and my visa came through today. I think mine took about 8 or 9 working days from when I got all my medical stuff done. I applied online in Canada. I'm sure yours will come through soon - I think sometimes there is just a bit of a delay in the processing of blood tests and that sort of thing. I guess they just have to be sure you don't have cooties. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by redshifteffect
I have a question of my own.

My passport is about to get expired...and i still have my student visa on my old one...can i get the visa transfered to the new visa in Canada or do i have to wait until i return to Australia...and if i have to wait does that mean i have to carry my old passport with me??

I was wondering about this myself. I actually postponed my student visa app by a week or so since I decided to renew my passport well before it expired. I just didn't want to deal with such a hassle but it is unavoidable if you are in a 6 year program.

If you have a piece of paper I would think it would be ok. However, from what I understand, the visa is electronically linked to your passport number so it is probably neccessary to update it with Australia.

Originally posted by markdc
I was wondering about this myself. I actually postponed my student visa app by a week or so since I decided to renew my passport well before it expired. I just didn't want to deal with such a hassle but it is unavoidable if you are in a 6 year program.

If you have a piece of paper I would think it would be ok. However, from what I understand, the visa is electronically linked to your passport number so it is probably neccessary to update it with Australia.

My main concern is that they won't allow me to travel on a student visa that is on an expired passport...what do you think?

Originally posted by markdc

Ditto. Got my new passport back about 10 days ago, just had my xray and med exam results sent to them Monday. Glad to hear that 8-9 days is possible -- the "official" expected timeline the embassy gives you is "4 weeks, a little shorter in practice if electronically filed".

red - call your embassy, you certainly don't want to do the wrong thing when it comes to passport/visa and the such (and then tell us what the scoop is!)

-pitman

I got notified two days ago, visa is linked to my passport number.

jack

i gotta question about visas. i'm wanting to study abroad this summer in australia so I know I need to get a student visa, but are you allowed to work while you're in australia? or do I have to get a work visa also?

Originally posted by lytesnsyrens
i gotta question about visas. i'm wanting to study abroad this summer in australia so I know I need to get a student visa, but are you allowed to work while you're in australia? or do I have to get a work visa also?

on the email they sent me, it says I'm not allowed to work, but I can apply for a working VISA once i start school

-------------
YOUR VISA CONDITIONS

NO WORK ? Condition 8101

You can not work in Australia on this visa.

Note: After you have commenced your study in Australia, you may make an
application for a student visa with permission to work.
----------------

Here's the deal with that. YOu have to go to the DIMIA office to "switch" your visa to a work visa. You can only do this within Australia but it has certain conditions (it will cost you about $50). If you are working at a legitimate job (not cash under the table) you are only allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours. However during the summer this changes to an unlimited number of hours.

Originally posted by redshifteffect
Here's the deal with that. YOu have to go to the DIMIA office to "switch" your visa to a work visa. You can only do this within Australia but it has certain conditions (it will cost you about $50). If you are working at a legitimate job (not cash under the table) you are only allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours. However during the summer this changes to an unlimited number of hours.

thanks. once i switch it over to work visa, can i still study there? i mean, since it won't be a student visa anymore?

thanks. once i switch it over to work visa, can i still study there? i mean, since it won't be a student visa anymore?

It's still a student visa! The only difference is that you now have a 20 hour work permit along with your student visa. Though keep two things in mind it may be difficult for you to find a job as an international and that you may not have enough time to work.

Hi, just wanted to double clarify. This work permit thing is NOT a work visa. Please do not go applying for a work visa. It is a work permit for a student visa, as RSE mentions. If you switch to a work visa, you will be in big trouble.

Lytesnsyrens,

What will you be studying in Oz? Where will you be?

-pitman

well, right now i'm only premed and i would hope to be taking organic chemistry there. i'm wanting to go to school in Perth, since i have family there that i haven't seen in forever.

well, right now i'm only premed and i would hope to be taking organic chemistry there. i'm wanting to go to school in Perth, since i have family there that i haven't seen in forever.

So it sounds like you want to take the 6-yr undergrad course at UWA. If you're currently studying for a bachelor's degree, make sure UWA will allow you to have one -- I think some of the Aussie 6-yr programmes do, others don't.

Is that really you in the photo?

-pitman