Re-Taking Mamm. Phys. I at UC, why won't prof let me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerpetualStudent

Hopeful
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After receiving a C in mamm. phys. I., I decided it would be beneficial to re-take the course. Unfortunately I took the lower-division biology classes at community college, and despite learning the same topics, was not given credit for all of the equivalent ones at the University. In order to enroll for mamm. phys. I the professor needed to waive my pre-requisites. She knew that I had already taken her course and said that she was sorry, but since there's so many people already on the wait-list, she wouldn't be able to waive them. I pay so much money to this school, I don't really think it should be up to here whether I am able to repeat this course. I really don't want to take Bio 2 at the university, just to meet the pre-requisities.

Do you think there is a policy preventing her at a UC school from waiving the pre-requisites twice, or is she just personally holding me back so that other people can get into the course?

I was so disappointed to learn this as I was hoping to re-place the grade for osteopathic schools and also to help with the MCAT. Should I try another teacher in spring quarter? Any advice on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think there is a policy preventing her at a UC school from waiving the pre-requisites twice, or is she just personally holding me back so that other people can get into the course?

Bingo. This is the same conclusion I arrived at.

Any advice on this?

Yes. Contact a lawyer, preferably one from ACLU.

If it must be done, you could always talk to her immediate superior (department head?) or just wait till another semester when she isn't teaching

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you just tried too late since you said that there were too many people on the wait-list. Were you expecting her to put you in the front of the line?

Take something else.

It sounds like you just tried too late since you said that there were too many people on the wait-list. Were you expecting her to put you in the front of the line?

Take something else.

The thing is I can't even go on the wait-list without her waiving the pre-requisites for the course. But it seems that she isn't even doing that, thereby preventing from having any kind of chance of even taking the class in the fall. I'm going to see if I can find out the information from the biology department tomorrow. The fact that I haven't taken the pre-req really leaves me at her mercy, but after paying so much money to this school, it really frustrates me to not even have the chance to take the course again before the mcat. In addition to this, she's teaching all of the other physiology courses I was considering taking as well.

i go to a small liberal arts school and the most frustrating thing is that bio classes fill up fast and not everyone who wants to take them has the opportunity to. one of the classes im enrolled in next semester had over 60 ppl sign up for 24 slots. how is a teacher supposed to deal w/ this? they don't have enough time in their schedule to break it up into two classes, so they need to find a way to decide who gets to take the class. seniors and majors get priority, then ppl who signed up for the class in previous years but were waitlisted, then non-majors who want to take the class for some other requirement, then non majors who want to take the class for fun. i hate to sound harsh, but somebody who has already had the opportunity to take the class and took it but didn't do well doesn't rank very high on that heirarchy. everyone else is also paying the same amount of money to take the same classes, and you already got to take this one! let someone else have the opportunity to take the class.. to study, go over your notes (or maybe ask the professor for the slides/handouts- she might even let you audit if you ask nicely) and pick a different class to take

Just take Bio 2 if it has a lab. You have to do the prereqs anyway, right?

After receiving a C in mamm. phys. I., I decided it would be beneficial to re-take the course. Unfortunately I took the lower-division biology classes at community college, and despite learning the same topics, was not given credit for all of the equivalent ones at the University. In order to enroll for mamm. phys. I the professor needed to waive my pre-requisites. She knew that I had already taken her course and said that she was sorry, but since there's so many people already on the wait-list, she wouldn't be able to waive them. I pay so much money to this school, I don't really think it should be up to here whether I am able to repeat this course. I really don't want to take Bio 2 at the university, just to meet the pre-requisities.

I was so disappointed to learn this as I was hoping to re-place the grade for osteopathic schools and also to help with the MCAT. Should I try another teacher in spring quarter? Any advice on this?

It's against TOS to post identical threads in multiple forums. Cross with pre-DO.