RE: taking the DAT--how late is too late?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyteeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I signed up to take the DAT july 21st but i was thinking if i would postpone it till september, would that be too late:confused: for the 2009 class?!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend all applicants aim to take it by early August.

Once September rolls around, most schools have already sent out first round invites, and may will have already started interviews.

I took DAT around mid Aug, didn't get the first interview until Nov 31st (i think that's the exact date). The rest of my interviews were in Jan-March.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you!

also...regarding interviews... i will be leaving for the month of november and december to europe, do you think that would be a problem with the interviews? can you postpone them? how does it actually work?:scared:

should i mention it somewhere on the application, the leave?!

I took the dat on july 30th, and I was offered interviews for most of the schools I applied to b4 nov. 31st (except two). I also submitted my aadsas app on july 17th and got most of my secondaries/fees in by the end of aug.

I would aim to finish everything by mid-late august. Obviously, it would be best to get everything done as early as possible.

Take it by the first week at July if you can. If you're going to Europe, understand that you'll want pre Dec 1st interviews or your chances of getting in are severely diminished.

thank you!

also...regarding interviews... i will be leaving for the month of november and december to europe, do you think that would be a problem with the interviews? can you postpone them? how does it actually work?:scared:

should i mention it somewhere on the application, the leave?!

Well, some schools let you choose your interview dates, while some just hand them to you so it all depends on the school.

Either way, I would suggest you not to postpone your interviews since late interviews can often result in waitlist instead of acceptance.

September sounds pretty late. I am taking it late June and I've been worrying if I was too late.
You should probably take it at your scheduled time unless you have no time what so ever.

nope not too late! I took mine nov 1 and turned everything in like mid nov. all my interviews were feb-april and I got accepted into all the schools I interviewed at. my stats were solid but not stellar. so my 2 cents are take the dats when u are ready so you will do well, then, they can't turn you down!

nope not too late! I took mine nov 1 and turned everything in like mid nov. all my interviews were feb-april and I got accepted into all the schools I interviewed at. my stats were solid but not stellar. so my 2 cents are take the dats when u are ready so you will do well, then, they can't turn you down!

ignore this

To those of you that are re-taking the DAT have you used Topscore Pro...And if you did, was your official DAT score higher than your Topscore scores or were they pretty right on with your official DAT score?

Either you got extremely lucky, or you are just making up false information.

If you submitted everything by mid November, that means schools probably won't see your application until late November/early December.

Feb-April interviews are in fact, pretty darn late. You probably weren't even interviewing for an actual spot on the roster, but rather a waitlist position instead.

Took my DAT August 18th or so? I still got plenty of interviews, guess it depends on how strong your app is tho, the stronger it is the later you can probably take it and still stand a good chance of acceptance.

Funny of you all that are so quick to say that I am making things up. I was never on any waitlist. I heard back from all the schools I interviewed at (4 schools, I applied to 8) within 2 weeks of my interview. Therefore, I dont think I was on a waitlist for very long. I knew that I would be taking my DATs late and turning in my app late that is why I only applied to a few select schools, but I attribute my acceptances on being able to do well on the DAT. If you have any further questions feel free to PM me.

I haven't searched, but I'm sure this question has been asked ad-nauseum. But...I've heard late-August is fine for even October interviews. Am I wrong?

I haven't searched, but I'm sure this question has been asked ad-nauseum. But...I've heard late-August is fine for even October interviews. Am I wrong?

Depends on the school and your score, but yes, you are correct for the most part. :)

I hope we're right. I need time to study, man.

Can you say your DAT scores and your GPA, to have an ideal.

I signed up to take the DAT july 21st but i was thinking if i would postpone it till september, would that be too late:confused: for the 2009 class?!

You can actually find this information on some of the schools' websites. They actually tell you when the latest is. Some schools' information might not be so valid, especially due to the competitive nature of our field. For example, they will say Dec 1st, but we all know that's a no no. However, I have found that for most schools, generally the response sounding the most logical is latest Aug 1st.

What I can advise you do is go to each website or email/call the adcoms.