Re: UConn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tintin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
It's been eight weeks since my interview and no news yet. Has anyone heard back in the past month or two?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! We are on Spring Break this week -yah!

I'm sure admissions is hard at work though. I know someone who received a letter last week stating that they would be reviewed again sometime in the next month. This time of year gets tough at all rolling admissions schools, they have lots of acceptance letters out and they are waiting to hear back if people are coming or not.

Be patient and good luck!

Thanks for the info Beanbean!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope things are well with you...I know how hard it is waiting to hear something.

I'm sure Jeff will echo my sentiments that is is wonderful to have a free week. I believe he went to Florida with some of our classmates. I am just here at home with the kids.

Deirdre

Anyone know much about the wait list process at UConn? I heard a rumor that I was to be placed on the out of state wait list. Is this nearly equivalent to a rejection, or do I have a decent shot at getting in? Does anyone - in state or out of state - know how much waitlist movement there is at UConn?

I believe they rank the wait list into three tiers (I am not really sure about this - I came through the post bacc program and we interview after everyone else)

I don't know if there is a separate out-of-state list. From what I have heard: 1st tier you stand a good chance of getting an offer; lower tier not much of a chance. Middle tier - I don't know how much they pull from here.

Good luck!

I am in out of state applicant that interviewed in early Feb at UCONN. A friend of mine who interviewed a week after who is in state..just recieved word that he got in. His waiting period was only 3 weeks...what is going on?

i interviewed back in october. in december they sent me a letter saying that my application would be reviewed again in february/march...still haven't heard anything back. looks like I'm getting no love from UConn.

Hey Deirdre,
I just got a response back from Dr. Sanford via e-mail saying that I would be reviewed again after more interviews are completed (late March, early April). I guess that means more waiting for me. Thanks for your support!

Doesn't UConn have a second look weekend in April? Does anybody know when that is?

There is a second look weekend - I saw notices about it, but I can't remember when it is.

I am an in-stater, heres my story for what its worth

last year int in late Jan, heard 3rd week in march, got a waitlist letter, third tier...
and fyi, third tier = almost no chance of getting in, like 2%.

But i was optimistic, i called to find out my chances, and they said that last year they got through most of the middle tier, and im guessing took one or two people from third tier max if any. Once i told the dean in a phone convo that i was in the third tier and he was immediately like OH, well then, theres not much we can do for you this year...

And i should mention i got NO email titled "application update" last year, just the third tier waitlist snailmail.

This year i got what sounds like the same email as you guys.

I interviewed Dec 1st, heard they would review me again in March on february 6. Just waiting since then.

SO to sum up, i think that if no letter comes soon telling me that I am on the lower third (like it did last year this time with a later int), that means I am either upper or middle, which is a good place to be.

But I do think it is possible that such a letter will come, cuz I think that they just dont break down the waitlist into tiers until around now. So i think the answer lies in the very near future.

Congrats bean on getting into UConn.
Some of my good friends at UConn Med were through the post-bacc program.

I think you will really love UConn. I did.
The professors are great, the students are wonderful and the education is top-notch.
the graduates go to great residencies.
One word of advice: Dr. Grasso is really a "teddy bear" in disguise. Don't let his schtick fool you. He probably cares too much about the students doing well.

Good luck.

John Shanley
UConn Med Class of 2002