Re-write Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhateverMang

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am re-applying to medical school this year and I was wondering if I should re-write my entire personal statement. I think that it is pretty good and I really don't want to re-write it all over again but if its essential for me to do it in order to have any shot then I'd gladly do it. What do you think? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's pretty good then I def wouldn't rewrite the whole thing. However, I would rewrite parts of your Ps to reflect the changes in your app since you applied. tweak it !!

top said:
If it's pretty good then I def wouldn't rewrite the whole thing. However, I would rewrite parts of your Ps to reflect the changes in your app since you applied. tweak it !!

Seconded.

Members don't see this ad :)
WhateverMang said:
Hi all.

I am re-applying to medical school this year and I was wondering if I should re-write my entire personal statement. I think that it is pretty good and I really don't want to re-write it all over again but if its essential for me to do it in order to have any shot then I'd gladly do it. What do you think? Thanks.

maybe you can tie in some things you have done this past year into the new ps? Or maybe tie in thoughts about why you are a better applicant this year?

this is just an opinion, but I'd send them a new PS, - of course you'll encorporate things from the previous one, but I'd make it sound differently than last yrs.
just my 2cents..

ironmanf14 said:
maybe you can tie in some things you have done this past year into the new ps? Or maybe tie in thoughts about why you are a better applicant this year?

I'd re-write. If you're re-applying, what have you been doing this past year? You should incorporate it because hopefully you were engaging in something to strengthen your app. And no offense, but if the PS didn't get you in last year, why would you think it would get you in this year?

RDood said:
I'd re-write. If you're re-applying, what have you been doing this past year? You should incorporate it because hopefully you were engaging in something to strengthen your app. And no offense, but if the PS didn't get you in last year, why would you think it would get you in this year?

i agree. i have also heard adcoms state that essays should be different.

sonyvaio2700 said:
I didnt rewrite my AMCAS for two reasons:

1. I applied late (secondaries finished Dec! so near or at the deadlines)
2. My MCAT was ridiculously low

Even though, with these drawbacks, i was still on 5 pre-interview hold lists and got 2 interviews. So, I dont think it was my essay that was holding me back. In addition, my PS reads like a story, and changing/tweaking it would just hurt the style. I also applied to other schools (not the same as last year), and I dont want them to think I am a reapplicant (even though some schools ended up asking me).

Again, it's a risk....and I'll tell you how it goes in oh-say 6 months or so :)...

P.S I did change my secondaries quite a bit though!

Yeah I'm in pretty much the same boat. I applied late last year but I still got 2 interviews as well. I think that by applying earlier this year I have a better shot. I think I will tweak it though and add some more updated information. Thanks for all the great feedback guys!