DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
just wondering if it is worth sending secondaries to reach schools.....

for instance my friend:

28Q 4.0 science/ 3.85 AO

underrepresented minority (half white and half mexican/hispanic)

applied to Hopkins, Columbia etc. but has no where near the mcat scores...

how much does being an underrepresented minority help you out to get into schools...........also does being (HALF mexican) qualify as a underrepresented minority? :confused: :confused:

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well $30 is already invested. I'd say drop the extra $75 and see where the interviews come from.

About the Ads
OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
technically half mexican= mexican...but what if she looks totally white.....would it be wise to claim underrepresented minority..... :confused: ....since a photo is sent with some secondaries.....wont they think you are a big Fat liar... :scared:

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
That's a pretty sensitive issue in this day and age; I doubt they'd be bold enough to question her. They certainly aren't going to ask for family trees or a blood sample though.

I'd be much more concerned about the sub-30 score. Yet why not apply to a few reaches? Worst case, she's out money. Best case, she's at her dream school.

ChymeChancellor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
DR. EUGENIC said:
technically half mexican= mexican...but what if she looks totally white.....would it be wise to claim underrepresented minority..... :confused: ....since a photo is sent with some secondaries.....wont they think you are a big Fat liar... :scared:
Ask yourself this... What makes you half-hispanic? I know it is biological, but in your daily life do you participate in cultural activities and have you experienced the hardships of Hispanics?

I guess either way I would claim it if I were you. With those numbers you'll need all the help you can get to get into those top schools.

OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
ChymeChancellor said:
Ask yourself this... What makes you half-hispanic? I know it is biological, but in your daily life do you participate in cultural activities and have you experienced the hardships of Hispanics?

I guess either way I would claim it if I were you. With those numbers you'll need all the help you can get to get into those top schools.

that being the entire point.....is being an underrepresented minority...enough to warrant putting up $500 for the 5 reach schools......or should she just settle for a mid tier that shell surely get in to....

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
If this turns into a you-know-what thread, I'm bringing out the equiine corpses.

ChymeChancellor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Dr Durden said:
That's a pretty sensitive issue in this day and age; I doubt they'd be bold enough to question her. They certainly aren't going to ask for family trees or a blood sample though.

I'd be much more concerned about the sub-30 score. Yet why not apply to a few reaches? Worst case, she's out money. Best case, she's at her dream school.
OK, this irritates me. Why do URM's get easier admission at schools like Harvard, Yale? Those type of schools are heavy into academic medicine and research. How the **** does increasing the minority population there help research, etc.? It doesn't. Does sitting next to some black student make me learn any better? Probably not.

"Oh yeah... I'm a minority and I went to Harvard. Let me now go practice medicine in the ghetto for little to no pay."

Yup.. that happens all the time. ;)

I can see URM's having easier acceptance rates at state schools where their mission is to provide care to underprivelaged but give me a break.

OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
ChymeChancellor said:
OK, this irritates me. Why do URM's get easier admission at schools like Harvard, Yale? Those type of schools are heavy into academic medicine and research. How the **** does increasing the minority population there help research, etc.? It doesn't. Does sitting next to some black student make me learn any better? Probably not.

"Oh yeah... I'm a minority and I went to Harvard. Let me now go practice medicine in the ghetto for little to no pay."

Yup.. that happens all the time. ;)

I can see URM's having easier acceptance rates at state schools where their mission is to provide care to underprivelaged but give me a break.

so what your saying is that it will help her to put URM......even for middle tier too?

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you, ChymeChancellor:

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
Being a minority helps at every tier, for better or worse.

Rafa, break out the corpses. (edit: I see you beat me to it.)

About the Ads

ChymeChancellor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
DR. EUGENIC said:
so what your saying is that it will help her to put URM......even for middle tier too?
It will help for everywhere. Sorry about that post. It just bothers my that people use their race just for easier admission and that is not exactly what it is intended for.... well.... I guess it is to increase the amount of URM's practicing in their community.

I don't want to start on this debate because it won't go anywhere and will get shut down.

Claim you are Mexican. How can it hurt.

BTW I know a lot of Hispanics that I didn't even know were Hispanic until they told me. an adcom won't care if you don't look like a Mexican. But if you want you could wear a sombrero and eat a taco in you picture! :p

ChymeChancellor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Rafa said:
Thank you, ChymeChancellor:

My favorite hobby is beating the dead horse! I even put it on my AMCAS!!!!

BTW

Does community college credits hurt us?

What is better, a high GPA or MCAT?

Does an being an ivy league graduate help us?

OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Dr Durden said:
Being a minority helps at every tier, for better or worse.

Rafa, break out the corpses.
oh he meant that ......bashing of URM....thats not the point of this thread.....im trying to help my friend.....we both want to go to the same school.....my mcat is 34R 4.0/3.94......i just wanted to know if she should list URM to help her get into schools that i will get into since her scores are lower.......

oh and a side note......if schools dont check......what is to stop every devious applicant to claim URM?

ChymeChancellor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
DR. EUGENIC said:
oh he meant that ......bashing of URM....thats not the point of this thread.....im trying to help my friend.....we both want to go to the same school.....my mcat is 34R 4.0/3.94......i just wanted to know if she should list URM to help her get into schools that i will get into since her scores are lower.......

oh and a side note......if schools dont check......what is to stop every devious applicant to claim URM?
Well under the box she would have to put it or put "other." It was so hard listing that I was white... I didn't know if I should do it or not. :rolleyes:

ChymeChancellor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
DR. EUGENIC said:
well if schools dont check......what is to stop deviant applicants from listing URM.... :confused: :confused:
EVERYONE APPLY URM!!!! WE WILL ALL GET INTO HOWARD!!!

About the Ads

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
OP = original poster = you

I was just idly entertained by the fact that your name matches up with an often justified concept in many famous racist movements.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
Status
Pre-Medical
^ Indeed. I'm waiting for "Dr. Mendele" to start asking questions about med schools with "avante garde" policies toward human research.

edit:

ChymeChancellor said:
My favorite hobby is beating the dead horse! I even put it on my AMCAS!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
And to answer your question, the only thing stopping applicants is their sense of integrity. I'm sure people have gamed the system in the past.

HairyCow

Sweeping the Nation
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Those dead horses always make me giggle in a sad sort of way. Thanks, Rafa.

But I think undead horses would be more fitting. You really can't kill them, and they feed on brains.

Mutt

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Your friend has an excellent chance at getting into a reach school if he's Mexican/URM - and he need only be half so.

Throughout your application process you will hear of numerous underqualified students gaining acceptances to top schools and they are almost always URM's. Do a low MCAT search on mdapplicants.com for some of those reach schools and note the ethnicity.

P.S. Please don't try and pull an opinion out of this reply, I'm just answering the OPs question.

OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Mutt said:
Your friend has an excellent chance at getting into a reach school if he's Mexican/URM - and he need only be half so.

Throughout your application process you will hear of numerous underqualified students gaining acceptances to top schools and they are almost always URM's. Do a low MCAT search on mdapplicants.com for some of those reach schools and note the ethnicity.

P.S. Please don't try and pull an opinion out of this reply, I'm just answering the OPs question.
thanks mutt...you are the only one on this thread that has really posted some true remarks without all that "beating a dead horse stuff" duly appreciated...

perhaps you could answer this.....i had stated that he is mexican.....but im not sure.....whats the difference between mexican american and hispanic......she is very light skinned so does that indicate hispanic.......(both are URM though)...

About the Ads
OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
DR. EUGENIC said:
thanks mutt...you are the only one on this thread that has really posted some true remarks without all that "beating a dead horse stuff" duly appreciated...

perhaps you could answer this.....i had stated that he is mexican.....but im not sure.....whats the difference between mexican american and hispanic......she is very light skinned so does that indicate hispanic.......(both are URM though)...
bump

Mutt

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
DR. EUGENIC said:

Although you can be both Mexican-American and be Hispanic, I think the difference between Hispanic and Mexican American is that Mexican-American is very specifically Mexican and "Hispanic" indicates that you are have some claim to Latin American origin; i.e. Guatemala, Costa Rica, Uruguay, Peru, Bolivia, and on and on etc.

I can only speculate as to the reason why med schools make a point of differentiating but it might have something to do with the US populations of Mexican-Americans vs. "Hispanics" and the potential that they (med schools) believe students from those backgrounds will ultimately end up serving people with that commonality.

As far as skin-color, that is, oddly enough, under the "Race" section of the AMCAS app. where your friend will need to put "white" if they are so.

ryandote

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
BrettBatchelor said:
Well $30 is already invested. I'd say drop the extra $75 and see where the interviews come from.

Your 30$ is a sunk cost, you should never base future decisions on money that has already been spent. The cost of submitting a secondary now against the benefit of submitting a secondary should be your only consideration.

OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
ryandote said:
Your 30$ is a sunk cost, you should never base future decisions on money that has already been spent. The cost of submitting a secondary now against the benefit of submitting a secondary should be your only consideration.

WELL thats the question....is it worth it?

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
this thread is exhausting to read

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
why the heck would you bump a thread 37 minutes after you posted?

bottom line is: if you can claim URM status, you should go for reach schools. you are golden and are more highly desired than many other applicants. you never know what can happen.

jocg27

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
technically half mexican= mexican...but what if she looks totally white.....would it be wise to claim underrepresented minority..... ....since a photo is sent with some secondaries.....wont they think you are a big Fat liar...
DR. EUGENIC said:
None of it has anything to do with skin color. The range of skin color in Latin America is as great as it is in the United States. There are blonde, blue eyed "white" families in Mexico and other Latin nations who have been there generations and would consider themselves nothing other than Mexican or whatever the case may be. There are black people of African descent, since Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dom Republic, others have had histories of slavery very much similar to our own. Furthermore, in many places after slavery was abolished, cheap Asian labor was brought in to work the sugar, etc crops slaves had previously done. For example, there are, believe it or not, far more Chinese in Cuba than you might expect. The president of Peru from 1990-2000 was Alberto Fujimori, born in Peru and of, yes, Japanese descent. There are people with various amounts of Native backgrounds (most Mexican immigrants to this country are mestizos and fall in this category, and therefore the only type of Mexican person most people in the United States knows exists).

This is why many people prefer the term Latino to Hispanic. All people of Latin America can take ownership of it, unlike Hispanic, which refers to Spain, the colonizer and the ethnicity of the elite and ruling class through much if not all of the history of the region, and ignores the African, Indigenous and (really!) Asian aspects of nearly all the nations south of our own..

Anyone who would look at a picture of someone and decide whether or not they are Hispanic enough needs to learn some history.

My mother is Cuban and my father is of Norwegian/German ie 'white' descent. I look white and have a Norwegian surname. My parents divorced before I was 2, I didn't see my dad for years, until I was a teenager and then once a month, and my mom worked constantly. I spent every day growing up in my Cuban grandparents house, speaking Spanish, eating Cuban food for dinner. Who is anyone else to look at me and decide before even talking to me what I am and where I come from?

Also, with respect to URMs, it's worth noting that not all Latinos are considered underrepresented in medicine. Cubans are one example, and I believe some South American ethnicities as well. So, no I don't just insist on my Cuban heritage to "sneak in on the minority card" or whatever, because it doesn't actually help me out all that much. It is just part of who I am and I don't want it forgotten just because I have blue eyes and a white name.

jocg27

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
so shouldnt the schools demand a blood test..........or dont they do background checks before you start in the fall
This is ridiculous due the reasons in my post above. There is no blood test to determine whether you are Latino any more than there is to determine whether or not you are a citizen of the United States.

OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
jocg27 said:
This is ridiculous due the reasons in my post above. There is no blood test to determine whether you are Latino any more than there is to determine whether or not you are a citizen of the United States.

BUT what if they ask me to speak spanish? do i just make up soem random weird sounds...and hope that they themselves dont speak spanish... :idea:

Returnednds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
jocg27 said:

maybe they can measure the amount of tapatio in your blood

jocg27

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Returnednds said:
maybe they can measure the amount of tapatio in your blood
I laughed when I read this and can appreciate that it's a joke, but it's kind of my point. Latin America, like Asia, is far more diverse than people realize, and lumping dozens of countries and cultures together at a time can have real consequences in delivering health care.

Our perceptions of these places are very colored by the immigration patterns from these places, which in turn are shaped by politics and culture, both here and in these other places. For decades this century we had strict limits on Asian immigration to this country, and these quotas allowed disproportionate numbers of professionals to enter. Many Asian-Americans we know are these people and their children. There is a sterotype of Asians as studious, professionals, doctors and engineers, etc, you can add your own. Much Latino immigration to this country has been less well controlled and poor people coming, sometimes illegally, for economic reasons from the country that borders us, Mexico, because its easier to come from Mexico which borders us, than, say, Chile, which is thousands of miles away. So, we stereotype Hispanics as poor, often lawbreakers, and salsa eaters, because that is what people eat in northern Mexico.

When we think about it with our head, we all know there are poor people in Asia, and I'd hope most people know there are doctors, lawyers, engineers and businesspeople in Latin America, and also that many immigrants from Mexico and the rest of Latin America are, in fact, legal. But these stereotypes are a product of what we see, it has nothing to do with how things actually are.

I went on a little longer than I planned, but the point of this is that Cubans, nor the other Spanish-speaking countries in the Caribbean, nor lots of south americans, don't eat much tapatio. Nor do they eat tacos or burritos, nor is anything especially spicy. Tequila is not only just from Mexico, it's largely from one particular part of Mexico (Tequila). I could go on.

so sorry, I do realize it was a joke and I hate to be the uptight guy, but I have been on a 'cuban food isn't tacos!' crusade for years and just wanted to make a point.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
Status
Pre-Medical
^ Never be afraid of going on too long when you're saying something important. Good post. :thumbup:

SexyLexie729

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2004
Status
I would say apply as a URM. I consider myself Hispanic even though I don't look "Hispanic." My father was born in Mexico and my mother is Puerto Rican. It doesn't matter what you look like. I am sure ADCOMs are smart enough to realize that Hispanics can be white, black, brown, etc.

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
BUT what if they ask me to speak spanish? do i just make up soem random weird sounds...and hope that they themselves dont speak spanish... :idea:
hahahah i hope you're joking because...that's just pathetic man.

OP
DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
SexyLexie729 said:
I would say apply as a URM. I consider myself Hispanic even though I don't look "Hispanic." My father was born in Mexico and my mother is Puerto Rican. It doesn't matter what you look like. I am sure ADCOMs are smart enough to realize that Hispanics can be white, black, brown, etc.

WAIT...if your father was born in mexico.....then wouldnt you be mexican american..?

About the Ads