reaallly worried - admission revoked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfer86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so i've been accepted to dental school, paid my deposit and all of that.

My only problem is that this semester I might have my grades as low as a 2.5 GPA which means that my cumulative will go from a 3.4 to a 3.3.

I have had a lot of interviews as well as a strong credit load. Along with research and all of the organizations I've been working with, this has taken up way too much time and my grades have suffered.

How likely is it that they will revoke my admissions?

Should I pay deposit at multiple schools just in case... or will that make them more likely to revoke my deposit (will they know i did that)?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that they will not know until May...although it isn't likely that your admission will be revoked, each school has different policies and you should check with each before deciding whether or not to pay your deposit. Update your transcripts when the fall grades come in, do better in the spring and by May you should know if a school was revoking your admission or not. Holding multiple spots would decrease the likelihood of you not being enrolled next fall, although again, is probably not necessary. The non-refundable deposits add up and could make the application process unnecesarily expensive.

why would they not know until may if i send my transcripts in now?

Members don't see this ad :)
that's what i'm thinking .... but i'm worried that I might be bringing negative attention to my file when they may not care in the first place. maybe i should try to call as a general applicant who was just wondering how many students a year get their acceptances revoked... man this is a terrible situation! i should be chillin now worry free!

Asking about the conditions of your acceptance is a valid question - I wouldn't worry about the 'negative attention'. Besides, they can't revoke an acceptance because you asked a question :p

does anyone actually know someone who has lost their admission? No one i know has actually seen it happen... but it seems to be such a big issue

did your school tell you what grade you had to achieve in the classes? for example, some letters say to maintain a b average in remaining coursework, some same c, etc... i would just call to make sure...

Alright so i've been accepted to dental school, paid my deposit and all of that.

My only problem is that this semester I might have my grades as low as a 2.5 GPA which means that my cumulative will go from a 3.4 to a 3.3.

I have had a lot of interviews as well as a strong credit load. Along with research and all of the organizations I've been working with, this has taken up way too much time and my grades have suffered.

Should I pay deposit at multiple schools just in case... or will that make them more likely to revoke my deposit (will they know i did that)?

I'm in the same situation as you are.... getting at least 3 c's and my gpa is going down by at least 1.2 points. From what i read, the general consenus is don't get below c- and u'll be fine.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=347879&highlight=revoking+acceptance

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=351189&highlight=revoking+acceptance

The title of this thread is very misleading. Congrats for getting my attention

I don't think I would worry. I doubt its the first time someone's grades have slumped after finding out they got accepted. My bet is its more common place than you think.

I agree that the title of this thread is very misleading. Having a tough semester like you had may even help you when dental school starts. 3.3 compared to 3.4 is about the same to me. I wouldn't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
it seems like a lot of people are worrying about this topic. how many points are you guys gpa dropping after Fall 2007 ? Mine is dropping by like .15 which i think is big. don't ya'll think?

I don't think they can revoke admission unless you failed a pre-rec, or you didn't fulfill the requirements they want you to. Most schools make you sign a form saying you will pass your pre-recs pretty much. I know a lot of people that get into dental school, and then mess around the rest of their year and lower their GPA's. They don't care.

This is by far my worst semester, and its not only that I slacked after getting accepted, but so much energy went into my application. Then you have to attend interviews, and I worked a little bit extra to pay for the travel. When its all said and done, my classes had to suffer because they weren't my only priority.

This is by far my worst semester, and its not only that I slacked after getting accepted, but so much energy went into my application. Then you have to attend interviews, and I worked a little bit extra to pay for the travel. When its all said and done, my classes had to suffer because they weren't my only priority.

dang, i feel you

I'm glad you posted this too because I'm in the SAME position too...I think though that we will be fine because schools do not want to revoke you. I think as long as you get above C-'s (so as long as you at least get a C or C+ in classes, you should be fine). I got a C+ in a pre-req but I think it's good enough. I'm glad I didn't get a C because then it would have been more of a tricky situation in terms of whether or not that is acceptable.

Whatever happens, talk to them about it. Explain your situation, and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Whatever happens, talk to them about it. Explain your situation, and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Yup. *Generally* speaking, you really just need to pass all your pre-reqs and earn any degree you claimed you'd earn. As tamkhan and others implied, though, you probably don't want to place your future in the hands of a bunch of strangers who don't even use our real names. :)

Still, I can't imagine any of the scenarios presented here being a problem. I'm sure if you speak to the Dean of Admissions, (s)he'll just chuckle, tell you to do your best (they have to encourage good academic behavior) and not worry.

Very Likely!!!...YES!!!:smuggrin: (freudian slip?..wink)

No just kidding, I would check with the school. In the past I've usually seen school tell you about the grades you must recieve in order to maintain your admission status.

Ok, so I finished my undergrad and pre-req last May. Last Fall, I enrolled one grad school biology course from local college. It went good until the final I could not focus on the final b/c I got into d-school and bombed it and got C+ which lowers my grade about 0.02. Do you guys think I should update my grade to AADSAS? When I submited my app I said nothing about grad school course b/c at that time I was not thinking to take grad course. If I shut up about it, do school will know my grad course grade? or should I update my records honestly and feel good about it? Sorry for Hijacking the thread, op. Any advice?

Ok, so I finished my undergrad and pre-req last May. Last Fall, I enrolled one grad school biology course from local college. It went good until the final I could not focus on the final b/c I got into d-school and bombed it and got C+ which lowers my grade about 0.02. Do you guys think I should update my grade to AADSAS? When I submited my app I said nothing about grad school course b/c at that time I was not thinking to take grad course. If I shut up about it, do school will know my grad course grade? or should I update my records honestly and feel good about it? Sorry for Hijacking the thread, op. Any advice?

The deadline to update AADSAS is Feb 1st, so I don't think you can do it anymore.

The deadline to update AADSAS is Feb 1st, so I don't think you can do it anymore.

Yup, I just found out I passed the deadline. Does that mean I don't have to submit my final transcript to d-school?

You still do, just not to AADSAS. For example, Louisville wants a final transcript before 6/15.

Then, do you think it would be ok to send those grad school course grade?
Thanks, jiagabodo.

Yup, I just found out I passed the deadline. Does that mean I don't have to submit my final transcript to d-school?

As a rule of thumb. If it is past the deadline the schools will want the official transcripts sent directly to them.

I don't think a school you have been accepted to really cares about the academic update. I know some just want to see your transcript when you finish spring semester.

I don't think a school you have been accepted to really cares about the academic update. I know some just want to see your transcript when you finish spring semester.

You are probably right, unless something serious pops up like a crime or institutional action.

so what happened, did s/he get rejected, or still attending!!!!!!!!!! no updates???????