Reactivity + stability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raiden2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a question about peptides and amino acids. Breakup of peptides to form amino acids is thermodynamically stable usually because of the increase in entropy. However, amino acids are more reactive due to the functional groups. So is it possible for amino acid to be more stable and more reactive?

Seems like a paradox.

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a question about peptides and amino acids. Breakup of peptides to form amino acids is thermodynamically stable usually because of the increase in entropy. However, amino acids are more reactive due to the functional groups. So is it possible for amino acid to be more stable and more reactive?

Seems like a paradox.

Are the thermodynamics that simple? What about enthalpy? To break bonds in endothermic so with enthalpy AND entropy positive wouldn't the Gibb's free energy depend upon temperature or am I overthinking it?

Are the thermodynamics that simple? What about enthalpy? To break bonds in endothermic so with enthalpy AND entropy positive wouldn't the Gibb's free energy depend upon temperature or am I overthinking it?

Yup you're right. But I believe EK mentioned somewhere that it is generally the case that peptide hydrolysis to form amino acids is thermodynamically stable. I have to go look for the page now

Yup you're right. But I believe EK mentioned somewhere that it is generally the case that peptide hydrolysis to form amino acids is thermodynamically stable. I have to go look for the page now

Oh okay. Hm, why would amino acids be more reactive? Since even even in a polypeptide, there's still one end with an amino group and one end with a carbonyl group. Is it just because it's smaller?

Oh okay. Hm, why would amino acids be more reactive? Since even even in a polypeptide, there's still one end with an amino group and one end with a carbonyl group. Is it just because it's smaller?

Yea my bad, should have mentioned polypeptides