Read if you're taking step 1 in the near future!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obiwan

Attending Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
THIS WAS SENT BY OUR STUDENT AFFAIRS OFFICE... BE PREPARED

"A small number of multiple-choice items with associated audio and/or video clips will be introduced into the USMLE Step 1 Examination beginning in mid- to late May 2008. No more than 5 items with associated media clips will appear in a single examination. The 2008 USMLE Orientation Materials include a small number of multiple-choice items that contain exhibits involving audio and/or video clips. Instructions for practicing with items with associated media clips on Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3 are provided in the Tutorials for each Step examination in the orientation materials.

Items with associated media were introduced into Step 2 CK in 2007, and into Step 3 in March of 2008. As of May 2008 all three multiple-choice question components of the USMLE examination will include items with associated audio and/or video"

Members don't see this ad.

THIS WAS SENT BY OUR STUDENT AFFAIRS OFFICE... BE PREPARED

"A small number of multiple-choice items with associated audio and/or video clips will be introduced into the USMLE Step 1 Examination beginning in mid- to late May 2008. No more than 5 items with associated media clips will appear in a single examination. The 2008 USMLE Orientation Materials include a small number of multiple-choice items that contain exhibits involving audio and/or video clips. Instructions for practicing with items with associated media clips on Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3 are provided in the Tutorials for each Step examination in the orientation materials.

Items with associated media were introduced into Step 2 CK in 2007, and into Step 3 in March of 2008. As of May 2008 all three multiple-choice question components of the USMLE examination will include items with associated audio and/or video"

i just got this e-mail tonight. don't really know what to think of it.

Although, I have to admit, I am curious as to what kind of things they would present in this type of question.

Members don't see this ad :)
since this is the first year of it being implemented into the Step 1, most assume that the audio (i.e. mitral stenosis with a nice opening click) or video questions will be either very straight forward and easy or part of the 50 experimental questions

since this is the first year of it being implemented into the Step 1, most assume that the audio (i.e. mitral stenosis with a nice opening click) or video questions will be either very straight forward and easy or part of the 50 experimental questions

actually, i kind of assumed that they would all be experimental, while the USMLE takes a look at how people do the first time around. after all, no one is specifically studying audio content, even if they are "gimme" questions.

i sometimes see them being referred to but what exactly are the experimental questions? and how do you know that there are 50 of them?

This doesnt sound like a big deal at all. I mean, it says there will be no more than 5 items like this on a single examination. Five questions is not many. And as people have mentioned, they will probably be experimental.

heart rubs/murmurs
lung consolidation/ hyperresonance
Bruits
wheezing
nasty dripping chlamydia

easy stuff!

I wish it were that simple. "Buzz-words" are a thing of the past on the Step I...

They will be the audio/video version of buzzwords though.

i sometimes see them being referred to but what exactly are the experimental questions? and how do you know that there are 50 of them?
No one knows exactly how many they have, but about 50 of them are questions that have never been used before, so they test them out for a little while before using them as part of the scoring to determine how well they perform. Think of it as a phase III question trial.