This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8YearsLate

Sub Canus lupus familiaris
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I'm writing this because A) I finally just the last of my apps and B) I know there's gotta be someone who needs to hear it today.

I am not a genius. I skipped most of high-school because I was made fun of constantly. Which I didn't understand. I wasn't super-nerdy or super-anything really. I was just poor, and very quiet.

I dual-enrolled to finish high school. College was a much better fit, but I still had a lot of issues. I got kicked out of my home as a teen by my dear tosspot of a father, over something neither of us remember. I moved in with a stranger, then another stranger, then another. I worked 40+ hours a week. I partied a lot because I didn't know what else to do. The people around me, the ones who didn't bully me, partied a lot.

I have no idea what my high school GPA was. I showed up late to my SAT because the city bus was late. Somehow I did well enough to get a scholarship. When I went to get my diploma, they asked for ID because I'd been there so little. What time I did spend on campus was usually in in-school-suspension for being late.

The boyfriend I met straight out of HS was a bit of a train-wreck. I spent a couple years trying to fix him before we had a kid together. He decided to split not long ago. Fortunately, I got to keep the awesome kid.

Somewhere in there I figured out how to use my brain to get a good job. I made sure I didn't become like my lamentable parents, whom I love(d), but were severely under-qualified.

When I first dual-enrolled, I wanted to be a doctor. But I quickly realized that there was no way I could make it happen as the dumb kid I was at the time. And that's not self-deprecation, that's just what it was. I remember walking out of my first chemistry midterm crying, not recognizing a single character on the page.

The friend who had been driving me to the chem class died shortly thereafter of an overdose. He said he only majored in chemistry so he could learn to make drugs. I didn't believe him. I knew he wanted the same thing I wanted.

I spent 10 years afraid of science, and my dreams.

I was told, "Don't do it," "Pick another field," and "It's not practical for someone in your position."

Some of the people who told me that were soon after writing my letters of recommendation.

I just submitted my applications, and you know what? Whether or not I make it doesn't matter at this moment. For one single minute in the past 3 years I feel like I can just breathe.

The fact that I got to this point...well, it's like that moment in the movies where that person with a crap hand is standing in front of the long shot and the movie ends right there. And you think, "Well, maybe it works out and maybe it doesn't, but...they already won."

That being said, I know what I'll be doing this time next year. When you have the kind of life that already spent all your tears...medical school looks like a cool breeze on a hot summer day.

See you guys when I have that A.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 24 users
Someone just liked this and reminded me of it - 6 (DO) IAs, 5 As, and 1 WL later :) Keep the faith, guys. Putting down a deposit tomorrow. Which means I'm hitting the pawn shop now. Just kidding. But almost seriously.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
Congrats on your A's. Very well deserved.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, you have a great story! Would you mind sharing some of your stats? I’m working on reapplication and love hearing these stories!!

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations, you have a great story! Would you mind sharing some of your stats? I’m working on reapplication and love hearing these stories!!
503, 3.75/3.65, 500+ hrs volunteering in different spheres, 100+ hrs shadowing, two mission trips (thanks, GoFundMe!), no research, very sad hobbies list lol.

Reactions: 2 users
:O at gofundme-funded mission trips
Yeah, you'd be surprised how much people want to help when it's for a good cause. My system was this: set up the Go Fund Me for the total trip cost (i.e. $1500), describe everything and how they'll be directly helping, as well as getting everyone's e-mail so you can share a Google Drive Album of all the photos from the trip so they can truly be a part of it. I would also make the first anonymous donation myself with what I had saved for the trip (i.e. $200) to get the ball rolling, and basically forced family members and friends to each donate $20-50 etc. So basically hustle in the first couple days to get about 1/3 of the pot going. Once its there, I would share on social media and craigslist and wherever would let me throw a link up. You'd be amazed how fast it moves after that. People want to contribute to something that looks like it's going to succeed, so don't let it sit at $0 for two weeks and expect it to take off. It's like jamming some money from the register in the tip jar to get other people to tip. I also sold candy and stuff to raise money for it. Coworkers helped a lot on that front. Also, if people relate to the people you're serving, they'll be more likely to contribute and share with family and friends. I also did a fundraiser when Venezuela couldn't get supplies in because I had a direct line to get the supplies into the country. So people donated, I posted the receipts, and then had the woman at the clinic take photos of the supplies arriving. Lots of my contributors for that one were Venezuelan-Americans who wanted to help but didn't know how.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how much people want to help when it's for a good cause. My system was this: set up the Go Fund Me for the total trip cost (i.e. $1500), describe everything and how they'll be directly helping, as well as getting everyone's e-mail so you can share a Google Drive Album of all the photos from the trip so they can truly be a part of it. I would also make the first anonymous donation myself with what I had saved for the trip (i.e. $200) to get the ball rolling, and basically forced family members and friends to each donate $20-50 etc. So basically hustle in the first couple days to get about 1/3 of the pot going. Once its there, I would share on social media and craigslist and wherever would let me throw a link up. You'd be amazed how fast it moves after that. People want to contribute to something that looks like it's going to succeed, so don't let it sit at $0 for two weeks and expect it to take off. It's like jamming some money from the register in the tip jar to get other people to tip. I also sold candy and stuff to raise money for it. Coworkers helped a lot on that front. Also, if people relate to the people you're serving, they'll be more likely to contribute and share with family and friends. I also did a fundraiser when Venezuela couldn't get supplies in because I had a direct line to get the supplies into the country. So people donated, I posted the receipts, and then had the woman at the clinic take photos of the supplies arriving. Lots of my contributors for that one were Venezuelan-Americans who wanted to help but didn't know how.

incredible work!

Hi Friends,

I'm writing this because A) I finally just the last of my apps and B) I know there's gotta be someone who needs to hear it today.

I am not a genius. I skipped most of high-school because I was made fun of constantly. Which I didn't understand. I wasn't super-nerdy or super-anything really. I was just poor, and very quiet.

I dual-enrolled to finish high school. College was a much better fit, but I still had a lot of issues. I got kicked out of my home as a teen by my dear tosspot of a father, over something neither of us remember. I moved in with a stranger, then another stranger, then another. I worked 40+ hours a week. I partied a lot because I didn't know what else to do. The people around me, the ones who didn't bully me, partied a lot.

I have no idea what my high school GPA was. I showed up late to my SAT because the city bus was late. Somehow I did well enough to get a scholarship. When I went to get my diploma, they asked for ID because I'd been there so little. What time I did spend on campus was usually in in-school-suspension for being late.

The boyfriend I met straight out of HS was a bit of a train-wreck. I spent a couple years trying to fix him before we had a kid together. He decided to split not long ago. Fortunately, I got to keep the awesome kid.

Somewhere in there I figured out how to use my brain to get a good job. I made sure I didn't become like my lamentable parents, whom I love(d), but were severely under-qualified.

When I first dual-enrolled, I wanted to be a doctor. But I quickly realized that there was no way I could make it happen as the dumb kid I was at the time. And that's not self-deprecation, that's just what it was. I remember walking out of my first chemistry midterm crying, not recognizing a single character on the page.

The friend who had been driving me to the chem class died shortly thereafter of an overdose. He said he only majored in chemistry so he could learn to make drugs. I didn't believe him. I knew he wanted the same thing I wanted.

I was told, "Don't do it," "Pick another field," and "It's not practical for someone in your position."

Some of the people who told me that were soon after writing my letters of recommendation.

I just submitted my applications, and you know what? Whether or not I make it doesn't matter at this moment. For one single minute in the past 3 years I feel like I can just breathe.

The fact that I got to this point...well, it's like that moment in the movies where that person with a crap hand is standing in front of the long shot and the movie ends right there. And you think, "Well, maybe it works out and maybe it doesn't, but...they already won."

That being said, I know what I'll be doing this time next year. When you have the kind of life that already spent all your tears...medical school looks like a cool breeze on a hot summer day.

I needed to read this right now...thank you!!

You appear to be the kind of individual who DESERVES to be a doctor. As well as anything else you aspire to do for that matter. Best of luck.

Thank you all for your kind support. Genuinely, I would not be where I am without SDN. There are so many nuances to this process that simply can't be Googled. I live in a town where I literally have not met a single other person pursuing medical school. SDN has been an incredible source of information and support, and I appreciate you all!

Thank you all for your kind support. Genuinely, I would not be where I am without SDN. There are so many nuances to this process that simply can't be Googled. I live in a town where I literally have not met a single other person pursuing medical school. SDN has been an incredible source of information and support, and I appreciate you all!
I relate to the part of being scared of science...I'm embarrassed to admit it and afraid I'll be attacked but there it is.

I know I can do it if I put my mind to it tho. I have had a lot of people tell me I would never even work a job and I do. So I don't listen to the people who tell me I can't do something anymore. Because even if I fail at least I tried. That's the way I see it anyways.

I relate to the part of being scared of science...I'm embarrassed to admit it and afraid I'll be attacked but there it is.

I know I can do it if I put my mind to it tho. I have had a lot of people tell me I would never even work a job and I do. So I don't listen to the people who tell me I can't do something anymore. Because even if I fail at least I tried. That's the way I see it anyways.
Why would multiple people be telling you you would never have a job?

Why would multiple people be telling you you would never have a job?
I’m have aspergers and the year my father and Grandma died I had this case manager who was awful. (Edit: Now that I am thinking more about it...she was also new to her job back then so maybe she has had more experience by now. So it could be unfair for me to say she was “awful”)

I obviously that was not in a good place but I don’t think it warranted her saying that I would never function as an adult.

I was like 9-10 when this all happened...tbh I don’t remember if it was just her or multiple people so I probably should not have said a lot of people. It may have felt like that tho bc I did view her as important.

Looking back now, most people were not like that throughout my school years.

However, this particular incident stuck. Possibly because it was a very hard time in life for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I’m have aspergers and the year my father and Grandma died I had this case manager who was awful. (Edit: Now that I am thinking more about it...she was also new to her job back then so maybe she has had more experience by now. So it could be unfair for me to say she was “awful”)

I obviously that was not in a good place but I don’t think it warranted her saying that I would never function as an adult.

I was like 9-10 when this all happened...tbh I don’t remember if it was just her or multiple people so I probably should not have said a lot of people. It may have felt like that tho bc I did view her as important.

Looking back now, most people were not like that throughout my school years.

However, this particular incident stuck. Possibly because it was a very hard time in life for me.
Well, I work in education, including many students with special needs, and am ESE certified. I can say with confidence that Aspergers is an asset in 9/10 scenarios and you need to approach it as such in your application process! It is something to be envied in many lights, so embrace it. And good luck! PS, f*ck that counselor, my first pre-med advisor was the one I mentioned saying I should choose another path. She's the one who didn't have a job when I went back to tell her I succeeded.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Well, I work in education, including many students with special needs, and am ESE certified. I can say with confidence that Aspergers is an asset in 9/10 scenarios and you need to approach it as such in your application process! It is something to be envied in many lights, so embrace it. And good luck! PS, f*ck that counselor, my first pre-med advisor was the one I mentioned saying I should choose another path. She's the one who didn't have a job when I went back to tell her I succeeded.
I adore this post and thank you for it...just what I needed!! Merry Christmas no matter what you celebrate (hope it's ok to say that)!!

Hi Friends,

Wow, this is a very well written post! Congrats on your acceptance! It seems like you went through a lot.