Readable Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After doing a search for surgical texts, I've noticed a lot of people comment on the various qualities of the various texts they like/dislike (i.e. basic science heavy, clinical, anatomic, etc). However, whenever I try to read my textbook (currently Sabiston), I find myself waking up with my head against the book after about 17 minutes or so, and only having read two paragraphs. So my question is, which book do you find to be the most readable? Which book gets to the point and is easiest to read? Which book can I read through, not take an hour to read a page, and get what I need to know out of it? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Cameron is the most readable, in that I'm able to read several chapters in a sitting and feel focused at the end. OTOH, it's light on the physiology and all the more basic sciency stuff.

Oh, ACS is readable too, and pretty data driven, which is nice.

I would stick to Sabiston, Schwartz or Greenfield for your junior years as they all contain enough basic science. Cameron, Maingot and Mastery are aimed more for upper-levels as they're more clinically oriented.

Has anyone ever perused "The Surgical Review: An Integrated Basic and Clinical Science Study Guide" edited by Paige Porrett et al?