Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
After doing a search for surgical texts, I've noticed a lot of people comment on the various qualities of the various texts they like/dislike (i.e. basic science heavy, clinical, anatomic, etc). However, whenever I try to read my textbook (currently Sabiston), I find myself waking up with my head against the book after about 17 minutes or so, and only having read two paragraphs. So my question is, which book do you find to be the most readable? Which book gets to the point and is easiest to read? Which book can I read through, not take an hour to read a page, and get what I need to know out of it? Thanks in advance!

blue2000

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
I think Cameron is the most readable, in that I'm able to read several chapters in a sitting and feel focused at the end. OTOH, it's light on the physiology and all the more basic sciency stuff.

Oh, ACS is readable too, and pretty data driven, which is nice.

Buzz Me

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would stick to Sabiston, Schwartz or Greenfield for your junior years as they all contain enough basic science. Cameron, Maingot and Mastery are aimed more for upper-levels as they're more clinically oriented.

Darksmurf

I'm the boy smurf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
Has anyone ever perused "The Surgical Review: An Integrated Basic and Clinical Science Study Guide" edited by Paige Porrett et al?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads