Reading Board Review Books alongside class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vette2k10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first year here. What do you guys think about reading board review books alongside classes during first year? For example looking over a physiology review book each weekend while taking physio. Has anyone who has already taken Step 1 tried this method?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure knock yourself out SO LONG as you're covering the material in class. I wouldn't do anything more than reading because chances are you're going to have to re-learn it next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
i read BRS physio during MS1 and found it really helpful as a read-in-one-sitting review after i've studied my lectures.

Hey guys, first year here. What do you guys think about reading board review books alongside classes during first year? For example looking over a physiology review book each weekend while taking physio. Has anyone who has already taken Step 1 tried this method?

Haven't yet taken Step 1 (~5 months for me), but I've had good results doing what you mentioned. Using First Aid / Rapid Review / BRS in tandem with what we're doing in class has been great for me.

Helps to go over class material and then see the same stuff presented in a different, sometimes easier, way in a review text.

Everyone is different, but I personally feel like I have to spend time with the major source and course notes before I start thinking about any abbreviated text. Some could get you through a course, but most are kind of in the middle with the amount of details. It isn't enough for a course but it is too much to use as a practical board source.

I also have a difficult time since many of the books kind of assume you read through and studied in more depth, so they rush through some parts that are confusing if you didn't spend time with the details to understand.

The only board review book I would recommend looking at during first year is BRS Physio. That book is amazing. Learning it well alongside your course material will give you a great mastery for the course and also an amazing framework for second year path. This is assuming you have a more traditional curriculum where you don't get to the important step 1 topics (path, pharm, etc) until second year.