Reading material on the policy and business of healthcare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read some threads on people urging pre-meds to learn more about the negative aspects of medicine in America. Does anybody have any suggested readings to really learn what you'll have to deal with as a physician? (I've seen the recommended reading list, I could only spot a few books about this)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking for like a "healthcare for dummies" type book maybe start with "Understanding Healthcare" by Richard Saul Wurman. It's pretty basic and isn't so much about policy as it is about understanding healthcare costs (ie: emergent care) in the US. It was interesting to see the amount of money that goes into pharmaceutical research vs. the money made for particular diseases.

There's some comparison of US costs vs. those countries that have universal health care.

I also read over Barrack Obama's "The Plan" but the section on healthcare is short and the remainder of the book covers other policies (the economy, education and foreign policy etc.)

Both really basic.

Edit: Just noticed the part about "things you deal with as a doc" which neither of these books touch on. I know I'm super helpful!

Last edited:
I've been reading "Understanding Healthcare Policy" by Kevin Grumbach, super easy read, its mostly about how health insurance works and the different types of ways to get paid but it can help with the "how would you reduce healthcare costs?" type questions at interviews.

I read Americas new health care law and what it means for us all by the writers of the Washington post. Really condensed the information and I rocked the questions about healthcare changes during my interviews.

I read Americas new health care law and what it means for us all by the writers of the Washington post. Really condensed the information and I rocked the questions about healthcare changes during my interviews.

Currently reading this book as well. It's definitely better than I was expecting.