Reading non CARS passages worth the time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

Is it even worth reading the passages for the other 3 sections that are not CARS I kind of get the feel that lot of questions in those sections don't really have to do with the passage. Is it a waste of time to read the passages for those sections?

Members don't see this ad.

No. They give you passages for a reason. Even though you might be able to answer some questions without reading the passage, it will be impossible to perform well.

The way you read science passages should be different than reading CARS. In a science passage, you should be paying attention to any enzymes, inhibitors or pathways they mention. You should also read to figure out the general theme of the experiment they are running. Look at what each figure is trying to tell you and if there are any patterns you notice.

You read the CARS passage for the main idea or argument. The details matter less here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
No. They give you passages for a reason. Even though you might be able to answer some questions without reading the passage, it will be impossible to perform well.

The way you read science passages should be different than reading CARS. In a science passage, you should be paying attention to any enzymes, inhibitors or pathways they mention. You should also read to figure out the general theme of the experiment they are running. Look at what each figure is trying to tell you and if there are any patterns you notice.

You read the CARS passage for the main idea or argument. The details matter less here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
So should I read the passages for the non CARS passages before attempting to answer the questions or just read the major enzymes, inhibitors, and that stuff and data and figures?

Yes You should read before doing questions. These are things to highlight and focus on when reading, as you practice you will start realizing what's considered mere fluff and what the MCAT really likes.

For example, If they mention any particular Amino Acids that surround the enzyme; you should immediately highlight that and expect a question to be asking you about possible similar Amino Acids.

Always read, however speed can be adjusted accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i absolutely think you need to read the sections. i would think at most 20% of the questions would be answerable without reading the passage. now i guess you could read the question and then look for the relevent info. but still i think that ultimately you are reading the passage one way or another........... note: i'm not exactly sure of the official exam but practice exam has questions without passages too but i'm just commenting on passage-based questions...

i have to thank you for twigging my mind to something. when i first saw "real" MCAT bio/BC questions, i almost wanted to cry. they give me a headache just reading them........ but because of your original question, i've started reading the passages backwards i.e. look at the charts/graphs first and understand them and then go to start of question. i think starts of questions are far too jargony (sorry for poor grammar) and by the time you get to the bottom your eyes have glazed over. so read the end of question to get a real feel for question and then fill in the earlier details (which often aren't that important)... i'd say this is a way to implement your original comment.

what's the difference between reading all the key words/charts/graphs and reading the passage? i do understand that all the naming of compounds and the language used in the passages is mentally taxing.