Reading nonscientific literature to maximize my MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zombiesatebrian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I probably won't be studying for the new MCAT until summer 2015, so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how much reading I should do a week until then to really hone my reading comprehension skills on the new verbal. Anyone recommend any good books or websites? If you think your "reading habits" helped you in your MCAT, do you recommend a set number of reading? e.g. 1 book a week, 3 articles a day, etc

Members don't see this ad.

I probably won't be studying for the new MCAT until summer 2015, so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how much reading I should do a week until then to really hone my reading comprehension skills on the new verbal. Anyone recommend any good books or websites? If you think your "reading habits" helped you in your MCAT, do you recommend a set number of reading? e.g. 1 book a week, 3 articles a day, etc

Read a well-written newspaper every day (NYT, Wall Street Journal, or something British that isn't a tabloid) and try to read a book a week.

Not for the MCAT, just for your own edification.

I don't believe that reading by itself will help increase your mcat score unless perhaps you English is your second language. Effectively attacking mcat verbal requires a specific technique. To extract useful information from a passage and apply it to verbal questions under the time constraints of the test requires a different style of reading than that of a casual reader. Most people need to change something about the way they read to increase effectiveness in mcat verbal, thus causal reading may strengthen bad reading habits and make it more difficult to mold your approach once you actually prepare for the mcat. Just a ersonal opinion!