reading section on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedyx3

I'm Columbian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok what is the best way to tackle the reading section on the DAT.?

1) FIrst read each excerpt in its entirety and then answer the questions.

2) Go right to the questions without reading the text first and refer to the text as you answer each question.

Why would one technique be better then the other? Also if yuou were to go with techinque #2 how would you tackle questoins on the general overall ideas of an excerpt.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Going with technique 2, clearly the best choice, isn't exclusive of your being able to answer general overall idea questions. You simply can't afford to waste time reading the whole passage. Skim very quickly to gain a frame of reference and familiarize yourself with the location of concepts within the excerpt. This will be enough.

Hey, even if you read the whole thing very slowly and carefully, it is still possible waste time looking for a single word. And it's still very easy to mischaracterize the author's overall tone. But by reading fast, you will gain a sense of the pasage, and still have time to search around for answers.

Freddy,

I TOTALLY AGREE with the earlier post. You don't have time to read each passage in the detail you need. best thing is to skim and identify key words. When you get to the questions just look through the passage and you WILL find the answers no problem.
I did this for my DAT and got mid 20's (i didnt study for the reading sectino either).

remember relax, skim, go to the questions identify key words and answer the questions. you'll do fine