Ready for upcoming cycle? Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CapCrunch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after graduating in 2013 with a sub 3.0 s/cGPA, I decided immediately to enroll in a DIY post-bacc program (retakes mostly and an upper-div pathology course = A). After 23 credits I have earned a 3.91 s/cGPA. This has raised me up to a 3.14cGPA/3.04sGPA. In addition, my last 34 credits are at a 3.89. I'm enrolled in a retake of organic, which if all goes well again, should raise me to a 3.2/3.11. I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on April 5, but am considering delaying, especially if I feel I'm not yet ready for this cycle (Applying strictly DO).

NY resident

As far as ECs:
- I spent a semester in a dry lab focusing on ion channels
- Roughly 50 hours in soup kitchen
- Leadership position in campus-based community service organization in which I spent another 50 hours or so volunteering in the local community.
- 2 Alternative Spring break trips to account for another 100 hours of community service.
- 6 months (100 hours or so) volunteering in hospital clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are MD schools that reward reinvention, and NYMC and Albany are two of them. Make sure you ace the MCAT.

You're fine for any DO program, including mine. So, take a look at NYCOM and the two NY Touros, plus PCOM and LECOM.

So after graduating in 2013 with a sub 3.0 s/cGPA, I decided immediately to enroll in a DIY post-bacc program (retakes mostly and an upper-div pathology course = A). After 23 credits I have earned a 3.91 s/cGPA. This has raised me up to a 3.14cGPA/3.04sGPA. In addition, my last 34 credits are at a 3.89. I'm enrolled in a retake of organic, which if all goes well again, should raise me to a 3.2/3.11. I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on April 5, but am considering delaying, especially if I feel I'm not yet ready for this cycle (Applying strictly DO).

NY resident

As far as ECs:
- I spent a semester in a dry lab focusing on ion channels
- Roughly 50 hours in soup kitchen
- Leadership position in campus-based community service organization in which I spent another 50 hours or so volunteering in the local community.
- 2 Alternative Spring break trips to account for another 100 hours of community service.
- 6 months (100 hours or so) volunteering in hospital clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that's way more optimistic than I was expecting...especially from someone with actual knowledge of the process.

Thank you for the motivation to end my 5 minute study break and get back to my MCAT studying!

Reactions: 1 user
Have you calculated your GPAs using the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy? Non-Texas DO med schools only count the most recent grade when you retake, assuming the course credits are the same or better.

DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

Don't forget to get in some physician shadowing. And keep up the clinic volunteering.

Unfortunately, that is accounting for grade replacement. Not being a TX resident, I feel as if my efforts to apply to TX schools would be futile.

I forgot to add physician shadowing to my EC's, but I will also be working on a physician LOR ASAP.

My mistake- I thought you were hinting at applying to TX DO schools. I have been, and plan on taking full advantage of the forgiveness policy for all other DO programs. Thanks, again.

Reactions: 1 user
There are MD schools that reward reinvention, and NYMC and Albany are two of them. Make sure you ace the MCAT.

You're fine for any DO program, including mine. So, take a look at NYCOM and the two NY Touros, plus PCOM and LECOM.
I'm in a similar situation w/ similar numbers

I'm in a similar situation as CapCrunch w/ similar numbers too. I was wondering how imperative it is for us low stat guys to apply day one of the app cycle. Would I be at a significant disadvantage if I don't apply until July when I get my MCAT scores back?

July 1 is OK, Aug 1 is getting late, Sept 1 is too late, from what I've seen.

I'm in a similar situation w/ similar numbers

I'm in a similar situation as CapCrunch w/ similar numbers too. I was wondering how imperative it is for us low stat guys to apply day one of the app cycle. Would I be at a significant disadvantage if I don't apply until July when I get my MCAT scores back?

July 1 is OK, Aug 1 is getting late, Sept 1 is too late, from what I've seen.
Are those dates you listed for sending in your application? Or are they dates for having everything in, verified, ready to be reviewed?

ie if I apply in June but won't get MCAT scores back til August. Then per your criteria, I'm getting late?

Submission.Verification is in the hands of AMCAS, right? They apprently work on a schedule that's different from everyone else's

Are those dates you listed for sending in your application? Or are they dates for having everything in, verified, ready to be reviewed?

Yes. The key thing is earlier = better.

ie if I apply in June but won't get MCAT scores back til August. Then per your criteria, I'm getting late?