Ready to submit AMCAS - what do you think of my list of schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MediCynical

Custom User Title
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background
- 24 yo, caucasian male
- Undergrad c3.28, s3.22 & 31 MCAT (PS 12, VR 9, BS 10) - retaking July 29th and hope for 35+
- Loyola SMP - GPA 3.876 - (5 A, 3 A-)
- 160+ clinical volunteer hours
- 1100+ hours as a phlebotomist
- 70 hours shadowing
- tutoring, mission trips, and various other non-medical community service activities
- NO research

Schools (28)
Drexel
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
University of Illinois - Chicago
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane U
Oakland University William Beaumont SOM
Mayo
U of Iowa
Wake Forest
Uniformed Services
University of Toledo
The Commonwealth Medical College
Jefferson Medical College
George Washington University
Georgetown U
New York Medical College
Temple
Virginia Tech
Hofstra U
U of Cincinnati
St Louis U
Albany
U of Wisconsin
U of Colorado

Additions, deletions?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks pretty good. Unless you are a CO resident I would eliminate that school as OOS tuition is ~80k/year. Also, I believe Rush takes mostly instate students so you may want to eliminate that school.

Unless you are scoring significantly higher than a 31 on your practice tests I would not retake the MCAT. A 31 is a good score.

Also, moving to WAMC.

Looks pretty good. Unless you are a CO resident I would eliminate that school as OOS tuition is ~80k/year. Also, I believe Rush takes mostly instate students so you may want to eliminate that school.

Unless you are scoring significantly higher than a 31 on your practice tests I would not retake the MCAT. A 31 is a good score.

Also, moving to WAMC.

Thanks for the advice

Unfortunately my MCAT was taken in 9/2007 so it will be expired at some schools. I have not taken a practice test yet but will be studying 8-10 hours/day as I have no job

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo really emphasizes research. Do you have something unique that might appeal to them in its place?

Well, I am actually going to be starting a volunteer clinical research position this fall that's 8-10 hours/week... but other than that no. It's a long shot, but it's the only in-state school for me besides the University of Minnesota so I'm going to apply :D