real DAT score - need advices for low PAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by graceunhye, Aug 5, 2006.

1. graceunhye

graceunhye New Member

Pre-Dental
    PAT: 17
    QR 19
    RC 18
    bio 22
    chem 25
    ochem 27
    TS 24
    AA 22

I did not do well on PAT. I was very strong on it during practice so I did not worry about PAT at all. But real Pat is a lot lower than other pracice tests. Also, I felt it was very easy when I did actual PAT. So it's strange...
    I am worrying about this PAT. The score bothers me.
    Do you have any idea about how it will affect on getting into a dental school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Arsenalista

Arsenalista Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    With your other scores being so high (nice job!), I really don't think you should worry about your PAT score. Your science scores are remarkable. Relax and drink a beer. :)

4. indentition

indentition Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

that's still a pretty good TS/AA, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in the same boat as you; my PAT was relatively low.

5. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

How were you topscore scores, how would you compare the sections to topscore would you say easier or harder than topscore?

6. graceunhye

graceunhye New Member

Pre-Dental
    My pat on topscore was about 21 and 20-23 on Kaplan. I took Kaplan course. Their practice exams are harder than topscore. Do you have any idea about how much Pat affect on admission?

7. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I told myself I was going to re-take if I scored 17 or below on any section. Well, I scored a 17 in QR, but people convinced me that QR was probably the least important section. PA is weighed a little heavier in my mind. I'd consider re-taking, but that's just me.

8. If you retook, what would that really do? I mean, ...you've probably gone through ALL practice problems already for PAT. It's not like you can study for that section. I'd just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

9. thehipster

thehipster Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think your scores are fine. Even though PAT is important at some schools, it won't keep you from getting accepted. It all depends on where you are applying

10. wireless_doc

wireless_doc Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If retake, you'll run high risk of lowering your other scores. That is much worse than having 17 on PAT.

11. Mackchops

Mackchops Toothy grin
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You absolutely need to retake. I mean, look at the people on SDN here! They are obviously all posting honest results and certainly represent the average applicant to dental school. So by this logic, your low to mid twenties don't mean a thing and are actually cheapened by your average PAT score. In fact, I'll bet adcoms laugh at you for trying to apply with such a mediocre application. Better practice your burger-flipping skills!

Wait. I just remembered that today is OPPOSITE DAY! So the truth is the OPPOSITE of everything I just wrote. How amusing.

Don't fret or I may have to hate you...

12. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Since when is 17 a bad score? Many ppl get average of 17 or sometimes even lower.

13. bwestern

bwestern Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ya i agree with everyone else. i think ur scores are great, i wouldnt retake them. i would just maybe be heads up if your applying to UoP or UW because they have the highest average PAT scores, which means they proably put more weight on the PAT score. but ur AA and TS will definitely make up for your PAT score.