real DAT score - need advices for low PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graceunhye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT: 17
QR 19
RC 18
bio 22
chem 25
ochem 27
TS 24
AA 22

I did not do well on PAT. I was very strong on it during practice so I did not worry about PAT at all. But real Pat is a lot lower than other pracice tests. Also, I felt it was very easy when I did actual PAT. So it's strange...
I am worrying about this PAT. The score bothers me.
Do you have any idea about how it will affect on getting into a dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

With your other scores being so high (nice job!), I really don't think you should worry about your PAT score. Your science scores are remarkable. Relax and drink a beer. :)

that's still a pretty good TS/AA, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in the same boat as you; my PAT was relatively low.

graceunhye said:
QR 19
RC 18
bio 22
chem 25
ochem 27
TS 24
AA 22

I did not do well on PAT. I was very strong on it during practice so I did not worry about PAT at all. But real Pat is a lot lower than other pracice tests. Also, I felt it was very easy when I did actual PAT. So it's strange...

How were you topscore scores, how would you compare the sections to topscore would you say easier or harder than topscore?

Members don't see this ad :)
teefRcool said:
How were you topscore scores, how would you compare the sections to topscore would you say easier or harder than topscore?

My pat on topscore was about 21 and 20-23 on Kaplan. I took Kaplan course. Their practice exams are harder than topscore. Do you have any idea about how much Pat affect on admission?

graceunhye said:
QR 19
RC 18
bio 22
chem 25
ochem 27
TS 24
AA 22

I told myself I was going to re-take if I scored 17 or below on any section. Well, I scored a 17 in QR, but people convinced me that QR was probably the least important section. PA is weighed a little heavier in my mind. I'd consider re-taking, but that's just me.

graceunhye said:
QR 19
RC 18
bio 22
chem 25
ochem 27
TS 24
AA 22

If you retook, what would that really do? I mean, ...you've probably gone through ALL practice problems already for PAT. It's not like you can study for that section. I'd just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

I think your scores are fine. Even though PAT is important at some schools, it won't keep you from getting accepted. It all depends on where you are applying

If retake, you'll run high risk of lowering your other scores. That is much worse than having 17 on PAT.

You absolutely need to retake. I mean, look at the people on SDN here! They are obviously all posting honest results and certainly represent the average applicant to dental school. So by this logic, your low to mid twenties don't mean a thing and are actually cheapened by your average PAT score. In fact, I'll bet adcoms laugh at you for trying to apply with such a mediocre application. Better practice your burger-flipping skills!

Wait. I just remembered that today is OPPOSITE DAY! So the truth is the OPPOSITE of everything I just wrote. How amusing.

Don't fret or I may have to hate you...

graceunhye said:
QR 19
RC 18
bio 22
chem 25
ochem 27
TS 24
AA 22

Since when is 17 a bad score? Many ppl get average of 17 or sometimes even lower.

ya i agree with everyone else. i think ur scores are great, i wouldnt retake them. i would just maybe be heads up if your applying to UoP or UW because they have the highest average PAT scores, which means they proably put more weight on the PAT score. but ur AA and TS will definitely make up for your PAT score.