Real Estate internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon9301

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would doing a real estate internship in my gap year look really bad? I have a connection and it pays way more than other jobs that I would be able to get. My apps are about to go in, so whatever I do this year won't be on my apps, it just will probably be talked about in interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say. It would depend on how strong your overall application would be. The internship sounds like an interesting opportunity.

anyone else? my fear is that they say to themselves a) if he was really passionate about medicine he would have gotten a job in a hospital. b) if he says hes doing real estate to get money to pay for rent/med school, what does that say about how he will prioritize money later in life?

Members don't see this ad :)
@LizzyM @Goro :)? Have to decide soon. Will take me a little while to find another job, one that likely won't pay as well. Bad look doing non-hospital job in gap year?

Students work to make money. I worked two part time jobs during undergrad. If you're passionate about real estate, working with people in that capacity, architecture, etc and can weave it into your application in a creative way then I say go for it. Based on my experience people will appreciate your work experience in a client oriented sector.

anyone else? my fear is that they say to themselves a) if he was really passionate about medicine he would have gotten a job in a hospital. b) if he says hes doing real estate to get money to pay for rent/med school, what does that say about how he will prioritize money later in life?
Yeah, that's what some adcom members are likely to say. You are going to have to figure out how to spin it to your advantage.

You can do something else this year in addition (volunteer at a hospital a few days a week?) and put down that only to not have a "gap." My ethical barometer says you don't have to list every single job/extracurricular on an application. People start to question your motives and I find that quite unfair. God forbid you elect to pay rent and buy your own food...better mooch off of parents while you make 10/hr as a scribe.

If the real estate opportunity 'dropped into your lap' it's fine to pursue it, so long as you can explain it well. (Saving for school, working with people during stressful times, allowed flexibility to continue doing medical stuff and volunteering.)

Just don't stop your medical and altruistic volunteering. If anything, ramp them up if you can. You want to show that you haven't 'changed channels' at all and that you're still the dedicated, altruistic humanist you represented yourself to be on your application. In interviews, you'll want to be able to say "I had the most remarkable experience just last week, when I was volunteering at ___"

Also, if worst comes to worst and you don't get in this first cycle, you want to have a stronger app next year. What areas could most benefit from extra effort?

If the real estate opportunity 'dropped into your lap' it's fine to pursue it, so long as you can explain it well. (Saving for school, working with people during stressful times, allowed flexibility to continue doing medical stuff and volunteering.)

Just don't stop your medical and altruistic volunteering. If anything, ramp them up if you can. You want to show that you haven't 'changed channels' at all and that you're still the dedicated, altruistic humanist you represented yourself to be on your application. In interviews, you'll want to be able to say "I had the most remarkable experience just last week, when I was volunteering at ___"

Also, if worst comes to worst and you don't get in this first cycle, you want to have a stronger app next year. What areas could most benefit from extra effort?

This is all true and all, but adcoms should understand that students get many non medical jobs because above being humanists, altruists, and saints, students are most importantly human. They need money to do things, eat, sustain themselves, and pay for the incredibly expensive application process. The medical industry jobs at the undergrad level usually don't pay much.

This is all true and all, but adcoms should understand that students get many non medical jobs because above being humanists, altruists, and saints, students are most importantly human. They need money to do things, eat, sustain themselves, and pay for the incredibly expensive application process. The medical industry jobs at the undergrad level usually don't pay much.

Certainly true -- But there is some risk that going for the money now would be interpreted as revealing something about the OP's character that, for example, working as a nurse's aid in a nursing home would not.

Certainly true -- But there is some risk that going for the money now would be interpreted as revealing something about the OP's character that, for example, working as a nurse's aid in a nursing home would not.

I don't deny the risk, there are bad perceptions of this I am sure.

But why? Some people don't have the luxury of NOT going for the money now.

Say you are interested in real estate as a hobby/ learning about investments/ helping out the connection, supplement with volunteering.

Unless your ECs are weak