Real Gases and Ideal Gases TBR CBT6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glam407

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So from skimming the other forums I see that every test company kinda approaches it a bit differently but the general rules are Ideal gas: high temperature, low P (for negigl IMFs) and a and b are equal to 0 for ideal gases.

But according to the formula
(P + ~a^2) (V- nb) = nRT

If a real gas has a normal value of B, then shouldn't it have a lower Volume (V-nb) observed than an ideal gas with has a Volume of ~Vobs ?

A ) Which of the following statements is/are valid?

I. The ideal volume is greater than the real volume.
II. As the value of the b term increases, the size of the molecule decreases.
III. An ideal gas has both the a and b terms equal to zero.

In here III is true, but I and II would be false because b increases with molecular size and the real volume (V obs) is greater than the ideal volume (V obs- nb), right?

B) For the a value of a real gas, a is - when there's repulsion and + when there's attraction. Would there only be repulsion for charged gases?

C) If the external pressure exerted on a piston containing inert gas is decreased from 1.5 atm to 1.0 atm, what is the final volume?

It told me the answer is between the initial Volume and 1.5 L. Why is this? I thought it would just be 1.5 L.

Members don't see this ad.