real lifestyle of CCM attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstAid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. MS4 considering a possible career in CCM after anesthesia residency. I know there's a few threads on this and I've been talking to some pulm/CC fellows, but it seems like there is no real concensus on what the true lifestyle of a full-time CCM attending really is (private, academic, pulm-based, anesthesia-based, surgery-based, etc)

Just wondering if anyone out there is considering (or is currently) doing this full time as a career (no pulm. clinic for pulm/CC trained attendings, no O.R. for anesthesia-trained/surgery-trained attendings, etc.)

I understand that the compensation is not that great, but still "decent" for a physician. But, I'm more concerned about the hours worked and the over all lifestyle. I hear that there are some hospitals (and CCM groups) attempting to work towards more "shift" work similar to ER docs rather than the usually 1-2 weeks straight with 24 hour call. Is this true?

The one thing I have noticed though is that EVERYONE says that the burnout rate is REALLY high. This worries me a lot since I'd like to possibly do CCM full-time throughout my medical (hopefully long) career. I'm assuming that the current lifestyle has a lot to do with the burnout rate as well as possibly the "relative" unpopularity of the field among medical students/residents (although I find CCM absolutely fascinating!) . Anybody see any changes in the CCM lifestyle in the next 5-10 years?

I apologize in advance for the long post. Any thoughts, opinions, critiques, positive outlooks, or insults toward my naivety are welcome :)

FA

Members don't see this ad.