Real reasons patients cancel surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMDAware

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Young and old anesthesiologists, tell me why do you think patients cancel *elective* surgeries? I'm not talking about a valid medical reason. Cost too much? Can't get a ride to/from the hospital? Don't trust the surgeon? Get nervous? Not convinced surgery is even needed? Figure they can always cancel later? Simply forget?

What's your experience been?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Young and old anesthesiologists, tell me why do you think patients cancel surgeries? I'm not talking about a valid medical reason. Cost too much? Can't get a ride to/from the hospital? Don't trust the surgeon? Get nervous? Not convinced surgery is even needed? Figure they can always cancel later? Simply forget?

They are workers comp and have no injury and want to string everyone along giving them narcs and filling out disability paperwork and then last minute dont want to get cut

1. Still drunk from the night before
2. The bus doesn't go to the hospital
3. In ICU intubated because I took too much oxycontin
4. You mean I have a deductible of $6,800? I thought Obama said it was free....
5. New girlfriend...having too much fun
6. Siri took me to Albany NY instead of Albany GA
7. Terrified of the anesthesia for the cataract surgery
8. Didn't want to scar my beautiful flawless skin. The cancer can wait.
9. I decided I was too hungry to have surgery
10. Dr. Oz said to try supplements first

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

10/10

If I gave you a bonus for decreasing cancellations what would you do to achieve this?

The number one reason ALWAYS for canceling elective surgery is money. Period.

Keywords ELECTIVE SURGERY, true elective

Reactions: 1 user
Women back out of tubal ligations all the time. Not money or any of the above. Probably the most common patient cancelled elective procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Women back out of tubal ligations all the time. Not money or any of the above. Probably the most common patient cancelled elective procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The affordable care act pays for tubal ligation with zero cost to women. It's part of the HHS regulations.

So money DOES NOT FACTOR into tubal ligation.

And as a side political note. I argue with my liberal women's tubal ligation are paid for by Uncle Sam without cost. But men's vasectomy are "free" like tubal ligations. Talk about gender inequality. I call my liberals friends out on this. They claim vasectomy "covered" yet when pressed on if it's "free" like vasectomies they are dumbfounded.

https://www.mainstreet.com/article/obamacare-drives-women-get-tubes-tied

Could be. How do we explain when patients have zero copay and still cancel?

I've covered quite a few for profit surgery centers.

We get so many calls for cancellation and besides sickness/family member can't transport them the main reason is financial with elective surgery.

In fact just today alone. 5 cancellations for Fridays ELECTIVE OUTPATIENT surgery. 4 of the 5 is because of cost. Other one had ride issues.

hqdefault.jpg

The affordable care act pays for tubal ligation with zero cost to women. It's part of the HHS regulations.

So money DOES NOT FACTOR into tubal ligation.

And as a side political note. I argue with my liberal women's tubal ligation are paid for by Uncle Sam without cost. But men's vasectomy are "free" like tubal ligations. Talk about gender inequality. I call my liberals friends out on this. They claim vasectomy "covered" yet when pressed on if it's "free" like vasectomies they are dumbfounded.

https://www.mainstreet.com/article/obamacare-drives-women-get-tubes-tied

Relax.

Those godd*mned hippy liberals and their devil contraception.

Young and old anesthesiologists, tell me why do you think patients cancel *elective* surgeries? I'm not talking about a valid medical reason. Cost too much? Can't get a ride to/from the hospital? Don't trust the surgeon? Get nervous? Not convinced surgery is even needed? Figure they can always cancel later? Simply forget?

Are you doing a survey for some company?

We want to be remunerated for our time.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't ask questions and I don't care. Patients are free to do whatever they want and need to take responsibility for their decisions to have or not have surgery. I get to go home earlier and that is what's critical.

Interesting. Any common surgeries people do this for?

All the usual surgeries pain players get: Carpal Tunnel , Knee scope, Neck/Back injections/lamis. Things resulting from a car accident or accident at work.

To go along with the BTLs, a liot fo the women end up cancelling cause they don't want to wait and get hungry.

Can't blame them... OBs put them on the addon list all the time while they're doing their 4+ hour robotic hysterectomies and 5PM rolls around and the patient wants a burger. I'd want to eat a day after giving birth as well (if I was female...)