Real stories of successful residency transfers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately, I'm going to agree with the comments above.

Any surgical career you may have considered is basically over. If you did not match into surgery this year, it's not going to happen. As mentioned, by the time you're submitting applications you'll have completed so little of your PGY-1 there won't be anything useful to say about your performance. GS programs are not going to see an IM year as a positive. Getting time to interview is not easy -- this is a job now, you can't just take days off when you want to. You matched to IM, but it sounds like you matched to a community program -- also not going to impress surgery programs. You will now have a major funding problem for a GS residency, which would be a bigger problem for smaller community GS programs where you might have a chance. And if you do apply and get interviews, match day is in late March and your current program may require you to sign or decline a contract for the next year before match day, and if you decline they will look for a replacement.

Moving closer to your partner is also a huge hurdle, but more realistic. The timeline is much later, usually after Jan 1. A closer program would need to have an opening, and be willing to consider you. Transferring as a PGY-2 is very difficult -- learning a whole new system while moving into the PGY-2 role is very challenging.

Your best plan is to assume you'll be at your current program for all three years. Getting a GS spot after completing IM residency is also very difficult but you could try -- if unsuccessful then you have your career in IM. If you want a fellowship then you need to focus on that, not GS.

Not couples matching was probably a mistake, unless you both had more than 15 programs to rank -- once you have more than 15 programs, you can't rank all combinations.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I know of two residents who transferred programs. One of them had a poor fit at the original program for several reasons and was struggling with depression and then my partner transferred into a PGY2 spot to be closer to me (best thing that ever happened). It's a bit redundant to say you need a "compelling reason" to transfer because obviously if you want to transfer you probably already have a good enough reason. It takes a lot of work and energy and I can't imagine anyone wanting to do it just for ****s n giggles. You do NOT need to have a sick relative or be trying to move closer to your spouse or anything like that in order to be considered as a serious candidate. The two most important things are support from your current PD (a letter from them is required) and finding an open spot. Because of the weird rules around Match and contracts and transferring you aren't technically allowed to contact PDs at other programs. However, the loophole is that it's acceptable to get in touch with program coordinators and after expressing interest in a transfer position they are allowed to contact you should a position open up (as they are simply responding to you reaching out). I'm really happy to speak more about this with anyone if they are in the process and want to PM me for more details!

I would like to chat, if this is still feasible? Interested in switching specialities. Have a long-long story. But short version: I am an IMG with good standing record. Have tried to discuss possible transfer within same speciality close to my family (have matched 2k miles away from husband and my babies and he is yet to find a job as he has solid work in home state). This did not happen due to COVID, even though I have had interview and PDs spoke. The new program had to create a spot for me (they were open to this), but with COVID all ends lost. And in the meantime I have progressed into the end of the year and now strongly feel I need to switch the girls (from primary care to OB) and have support from my husband. There is a position available, and I have submitted application, and they were interested, asked for letter from PD. I have not seen him for 3 months now (Covid) and have already asked two OB attendings. SO there is that. I have not spoken to my PD yet but Im afraid he won't like the idea... Plus I already asked for this once. Off note, it will be easier for my husband to find a job in new place (and its also geographically closer) and Im perfectly fine with starting all over, but something tells me it's not that easy.

I would like to chat, if this is still feasible? Interested in switching specialities. Have a long-long story. But short version: I am an IMG with good standing record. Have tried to discuss possible transfer within same speciality close to my family (have matched 2k miles away from husband and my babies and he is yet to find a job as he has solid work in home state). This did not happen due to COVID, even though I have had interview and PDs spoke. The new program had to create a spot for me (they were open to this), but with COVID all ends lost. And in the meantime I have progressed into the end of the year and now strongly feel I need to switch the girls (from primary care to OB) and have support from my husband. There is a position available, and I have submitted application, and they were interested, asked for letter from PD. I have not seen him for 3 months now (Covid) and have already asked two OB attendings. SO there is that. I have not spoken to my PD yet but Im afraid he won't like the idea... Plus I already asked for this once. Off note, it will be easier for my husband to find a job in new place (and its also geographically closer) and Im perfectly fine with starting all over, but something tells me it's not that easy.

What specialty are you currently in and what year of training are you? If it is a 3 year training program and you are in the middle of your 2nd year, then it would likely be better to just finish up your training and be done. Yes, it's not something that is ideal, but it gets you through the program.

I suspect you may not be the most competitive candidate which is why you ended up with a residency spot 2000 miles away from your family. If you give up your current spot and don't have a secured spot elsewhere, you may never get to finish your training. The fact that you started down the OB path without even talking to your PD but talking with 2 OB attendings would be concerning.

Be careful here.

First year resident. My application was not weak or anything. In fact, much better profile than many other people in my program. But applied late and did not do smart ranking. Initially we thought that my spouse will get a job in the same area, but circumstances have changed, and plus I don’t want to stay in the area. But that is a completely different discussion. Logistically and preferred career path wise we would benefit from starting new residency sooner than later, because I see very little emotional room for a brad new residency after having one done. A big jump specialty wise, but can’t stop dreaming of it and regretting initial applications, rankings, etc...

What specialty are you currently in and what year of training are you? If it is a 3 year training program and you are in the middle of your 2nd year, then it would likely be better to just finish up your training and be done. Yes, it's not something that is ideal, but it gets you through the program.

I suspect you may not be the most competitive candidate which is why you ended up with a residency spot 2000 miles away from your family. If you give up your current spot and don't have a secured spot elsewhere, you may never get to finish your training. The fact that you started down the OB path without even talking to your PD but talking with 2 OB attendings would be concerning.

Be careful here.

First year resident. My application was not weak or anything. In fact, much better profile than many other people in my program. But applied late and did not do smart ranking. Initially we thought that my spouse will get a job in the same area, but circumstances have changed, and plus I don’t want to stay in the area. But that is a completely different discussion. Logistically and preferred career path wise we would benefit from starting new residency sooner than later, because I see very little emotional room for a brad new residency after having one done. A big jump specialty wise, but can’t stop dreaming of it and regretting initial applications, rankings, etc...

OB-Gyn is much more competitive compared to FM. Being an IMG, you will have a harder time with a switch compared to a US grad. You don't want to end up not finding any training program to finish making all the time, effort, and money spent on your medical school go to waste.

I know you probably don't want to stay in the area for a bunch of very valid reasons, but this is a really big step. You really need to know your competitiveness for a spot in OB. If you have a residency program in OB at your training location, you should try to sit down with their PD and have a realistic conversation about your chances in the field. If you have applied at this new location, again, they will want to know what your current PD thinks and will likely want to talk to him if they haven't already.

This is a high risk thing you're wanting to do here. Make sure you do it right if you want to go through with it.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi I'm unable to DM u but I would like to know more!
That person hasn't posted in over 3 years. You are unlikely to get a response (not impossible, just very highly improbable).

Also, I see that it seems no one can send that person PMs. Personally, I think it is somewhat bad form to invite PMs, then not allow people to send them.

Reactions: 1 users