Realistic approach please? Chances of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanielK96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently an undergrad that will be taking the DAT this summer along with submitting my application. Kind of depressed with the Spring 2017 semester as I ended with a 3.5 gpa that lowered it from 3.73 to a 3.69 overall.

I am afraid that this will provide a bad reputation about me right before the application cycle begins. Some activities I have done throughout my undergrad include:
  • shadowing three dentists, two general and one oral surgery accumulating around 110 hours all together
  • volunteering at a hospital's emergency room for 100+ hours,
  • working two jobs during undergrad but shortly (semester each),
  • volunteering at a dental clinic for almost a year,
  • Research intern at a cancer center for a year
  • attended a dental summer learning program at a dental school meeting with dental students, advisors, and working in lab, etc.
  • Lastly being involved with my schools pre dental society.

Please give me your honest opinions. I am new to the process. I also do plan on starting to study in a week to take my DAT mid July.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're fine... 3.5 is not that big of a drop and will not raise red flags at all. Just make sure you beat down that DAT hard and you're all set ;).

Reactions: 1 user
You're fine... 3.5 is not that big of a drop and will not raise red flags at all. Just make sure you beat down that DAT hard and you're all set ;).
I'm just worried because the overall trend is to do better and better as time goes. Here, I just plummeted. Unfortunately, half my classes were 1 point off the A :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just worried because the overall trend is to do better and better as time goes. Here, I just plummeted. Unfortunately, half my classes were 1 point off the A :(
If you get a 20 on your DAT, you will get interviews. All those activities, great job. Making me feel lazy.

Reactions: 1 users
If you get a 20 on your DAT, you will get interviews. All those activities, great job. Making me feel lazy.
Don't be lazy! It's fun especially when it simulates to what you could be doing in a couple of years. Thanks for the advice though. :)

Great extra-curriculars which will slightly offset your "average" gpa. Most accepted applicants have a 3.4-3.6 range of gpa. Just do well on your DAT aim for a 21 AA and obliterate your interviews.

I finished my freshmen year with 3.8 GPA and ended up graduating with 3.4x GPA due to my GPA going downhill (2.9 and 2.6 in my senior year).
Ended up with multiple interviews and acceptances. You still have a chance.
Good luck OP!

Dont waste time being depressed, you're still in great shape.

Worried about a .04 oGPA drop after one semester..
upload_2017-5-3_12-48-56.png

don't sweat it..

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-3_12-48-31.png
    upload_2017-5-3_12-48-31.png
    764.5 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: 1 users
I got into with a 3.0 into several schools, don't stress yourself over a drop in .04