Realistic, but hopeful? Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndlyon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to SDN, and have spent far too much time this summer attempting to extrapolate my chances at an MD from other people's posts, so here are my own stats:

cGPA 3.44/sGPA 3.25

Yes, I am aware these numbers are low. My grades have shown a significant upward trend since freshman year (3.25 to 3.78(Dean's list) this semester). I am beginning my junior year in a matter of weeks, and by the time I apply to medical school next summer, aim to have a 3.5/3.3 gpa (I'm hoping for higher, but I think I can guarantee this much.)

Research experience beginning in January 2010, 9-week fellowship this summer, will be working in the same lab until I graduate. Hope to publish this year.

EC's heavily concentrated within Student Government, which has given me leadership experience as well as service. Being from Colorado, I also have some interesting outside experiences (marathon, triathlons).

LOR's should be good. I will be taking the MCAT in January and studying until then. My diagnostic was a 27, I am hoping with 4 months of dedicated studying for a 35.

I do not want to go to DO school. I am not ready to give up on my MD dream yet, but am bracing myself for any/all advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm new to SDN, and have spent far too much time this summer attempting to extrapolate my chances at an MD from other people's posts, so here are my own stats:

cGPA 3.44/sGPA 3.25

Yes, I am aware these numbers are low. My grades have shown a significant upward trend since freshman year (3.25 to 3.78(Dean's list) this semester). I am beginning my junior year in a matter of weeks, and by the time I apply to medical school next summer, aim to have a 3.5/3.3 gpa (I'm hoping for higher, but I think I can guarantee this much.)

Research experience beginning in January 2010, 9-week fellowship this summer, will be working in the same lab until I graduate. Hope to publish this year.

EC's heavily concentrated within Student Government, which has given me leadership experience as well as service. Being from Colorado, I also have some interesting outside experiences (marathon, triathlons).

LOR's should be good. I will be taking the MCAT in January and studying until then. My diagnostic was a 27, I am hoping with 4 months of dedicated studying for a 35.

I do not want to go to DO school. I am not ready to give up on my MD dream yet, but am bracing myself for any/all advice.

Its unfortunate you're from Colorado, thats a pretty competitive school but you have a shot. Apply broadly and if you had a 3.5/35 you would likely get in somewhere.

The biggest glaring deficit based on what you've written here is patient and doctor contact. You need to have some EC that gives you exposure to doctors and patients so you can clearly express your desire to be a doctor and convince them that you understand the field and know what you're in for.

My best advice would be to wait until you graduate before you apply so as to have the best possible cGPA and BCPM, and thus a much less stressful, and more-likely-to be-successful season. With a 3.5/35, you would pass screening at a number of schools, but your low BCPM will give adcomms pause. So it would be ideal if you can raise that number further with some As in upper-level science classes to reassure adcomms that you can survive their science-intense curriculum. Keep in mind that 3.6 in the mean BCPM GPA for those accepted through AMCAS (and cGPA of 3.66).

Your research, leadership, and hobbies will be fine. You haven't mentioned plans for gaining clinical experience (about 1.5 years is average), physician shadowing (~50 hours is average), or regular nonmedical, noncampus community service (as much as possible). If a teaching opportunity comes along, that would further strengthen your application.

Don't be in such a rush to apply at the end of junior year. This process should be looked on as analagous to a marathon, not a sprint. You really don't want to apply a second time because your application wasn't all it could be.