Realistic Chance of Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Randomwerks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get so much different feedback from different people, that I'm just super confused. I need to speak with someone who is very familiar and knowledgeable about Pharmacy admissions so I can get a realistic answer.

I graduated in May 2006 with a biochemistry degree. My GPA is pretty low (3.11) and my science GPA (~2.7) is even lower. I've been doing research in a genetics lab since August and Im hoping to start volunteering in a pharmacy soon. I will be taking the Pharmacy Certification Test soon and the PCATs in June. In June I will also quit my job and take summer school courses in probably OChem and Calc to replace some of my formerly bad grades. I feel like I have solid Rec Letters from professors and employers.

With all of this said and done, where do I stand? Do I have a decent shot at getting into any pharmacy school at all? What can I do to make myself a better candidate besides score well on the PCAT and take classes?

Members don't see this ad.

3.11 is not bad at all. There are a lot of people that got accepted with GPA of even lower than a 3.0. The key is to apply really early to the schools that have rolling admissions and apply to those newer pharmacy schools. Good luck!!!

With all of this said and done, where do I stand? Do I have a decent shot at getting into any pharmacy school at all? What can I do to make myself a better candidate besides score well on the PCAT and take classes?

Get experiences in pharmacy and excited about going to pharmacy school. You need to show that not only are you intelligent, but you are a hard working student-through grades. Get a good PCAT score, and you'll be right there. I was 4/4 with my applications this year as a first time applicant, and that's how I approached things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides hopefully doing well with summer classes and the PCAT you should definitely get experience as a tech. Forget volunteering, work for a pharmacy…why not get paid? By the time next fall rolls around make sure to study up on certain schools that you are interested in. I would say forget schools that are 0-6 programs. They’ll only have limited seats open, if any, for transfers. Your best bet is to apply to 2+4’s or 3-yr accelerated programs. You’d probably have the best chance at a private or in-state school. Also, look for schools with rolling admissions and apply as early as you possibly can…this is key. The later you apply, the steeper the competition will be. There is a thread about improving your chances on getting accepted…search for that and read up, best of luck.

Get experiences in pharmacy and excited about going to pharmacy school. You need to show that not only are you intelligent, but you are a hard working student-through grades. Get a good PCAT score, and you'll be right there. I was 4/4 with my applications this year as a first time applicant, and that's how I approached things.

Thanks Acetyl and congrats on your admissions! I was wondering if you would be willing to share what your GPA is and what schools you applied to. I feel strongly that this is my limiting factor and I cant do much to really change it except take classes in summer to show them that I can handle the material. This won't do much of anything for my GPA but I think it would speak on my behalf with dedication and competence.

Besides hopefully doing well with summer classes and the PCAT you should definitely get experience as a tech. Forget volunteering, work for a pharmacy…why not get paid? By the time next fall rolls around make sure to study up on certain schools that you are interested in. I would say forget schools that are 0-6 programs. They’ll only have limited seats open, if any, for transfers. Your best bet is to apply to 2+4’s or 3-yr accelerated programs. You’d probably have the best chance at a private or in-state school. Also, look for schools with rolling admissions and apply as early as you possibly can…this is key. The later you apply, the steeper the competition will be. There is a thread about improving your chances on getting accepted…search for that and read up, best of luck.

Thank you for the reply nightcrawleRx. I'm hesitant to quit my current job as I work fulltime and have given a year of verbal commitment. I also plan on asking my PI for a letter of rec and Im afraid he wont write a good one if I suddenly quit now. (I work in an academic lab at a university)

Also, I was wondering if you had any statistics on 3-year accelerated programs vs. traditional 4-year ones. I would think the 3-years would be in much higher demand!

On another note, does anyone have updated statistics on accepted students at various schools from the entering class of 2006?

Thank you for the reply nightcrawleRx. I'm hesitant to quit my current job as I work fulltime and have given a year of verbal commitment. I also plan on asking my PI for a letter of rec and Im afraid he wont write a good one if I suddenly quit now. (I work in an academic lab at a university)

Also, I was wondering if you had any statistics on 3-year accelerated programs vs. traditional 4-year ones. I would think the 3-years would be in much higher demand!

On another note, does anyone have updated statistics on accepted students at various schools from the entering class of 2006?

No problem...I'm not so sure that the 3-yrs are in more demand. Every school gets a large amount of applications. The bottom line is that all pharmacy schools are competetive. I'll try and PM you when I get a chance about some other things that may help you.

GPA~ 3.7, slightly higher in math and science courses. I applied to UK, UNC, Ohio State, and Michigan.

Haha. With grades like that acetyl, you shouldn't have any problems anywhere. All the more power to you! Congrats! Clearly, you deserve it! :)

GPA~ 3.7, slightly higher in math and science courses. I applied to UK, UNC, Ohio State, and Michigan.

I would be interested in this info as well, but I suspect it's not available/compiled, just the 2005 data at AACP.

each school typically has this statistical data if you look hard enough. ours was up-to-date within a few months of our first day.