Realistic chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batrleif

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey how realistic is it that a person will survive med school if she takes eight or nine hours of science prereqs a semester, none other classes,nothing else [no job], and gets ~4.0 in them?

Members don't see this ad.

Less than 12 hours = not-full time student. If you aren't working either, you'll probably be grilled on that before even being accepted to any school. Plus, it would take you 5-6 years to finish your degree at that pace!

And to be honest, you'd be doing yourself a disservice. That kind of plan is very anti-med school. Med school isn't hard because of the difficulty of the material, but the volume (so I've been told). Thus, while college is supposed to prepare you for med school, you'd be doing the exact opposite. And I shudder to think what kind of excuse you might come up with if you get anything less than an A in your classes when time is the major enemy for most.

what are your other qualifications? do you really want to compare medical school coursework to science prereqs? think ~25 hours of science courses.

Well, if you can pull it off, a 4.0 GPA will get people interested. However, the fact that you did nothing ELSE is going to raise HUGE flags for any admission committee. Someone who's only taking nine hours at a time I'd expect to see at least two of the following (and maybe more): work experience, big research experience, lots of clinical exposure, other volunteer/service EC's.

Also, expect to be grilled how you'll handle med school (Often described as being "Like drinking from a firehose") when you've never taken a full class load.