MD & DO Realistic Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brangus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year Exercise science student at the University of Texas at Austin, did 2 1/2 years of Aerospace Engineering before changing my major. After taking a systems physiology class this semester i realized i had an interest in the medical field. I will be graduating next May 2015, and applying next fall to MD/DO schools.

My cGPA=3.28 and sGPA=3.16, reason my science GPA is so low is i received a D my freshmen year in Engineering Physiscs and then retook it and received an A. I averaged out the two grades because i assumed that they would include it in the science calculations even though it was engineering physics.

I still have to take OChem 1/2 with lab, Physics 2 with lab, BioChem, and the MCAT.

Looking at my stats should i go ahead and continue in pursuing MD/DO? Is there any realistic chance? Should i retake my chem 1 and bio 1 received Bs? Do y'all have any suggestions in how to strengthen my application since GPA is not up to par?

Members don't see this ad.

So it seems you aren't graduating this year correct? How many more quarters/semesters do you have in school? You should be able to pull up your gpa's a bit more before your graduation, but depending on your MCAT, you will likely have a much smoother route getting into DO schools due to the grade replacement policy. Use that to boost your gpa up a bit, score a decent score on the MCAT, and make sure you get clinical volunteer experience, shadowing, and a letter from a DO if at all possible.

I will be taking summer class this up coming summer and I have 2 semesters left after that, also should i perhaps try to do some research this up coming year to help my chances somewhat?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not competitive for MD, but will have decent luck with DO programs. The GPA will be higher due to AACOMAS' grade replacement.

I'm a 4th year Exercise science student at the University of Texas at Austin, did 2 1/2 years of Aerospace Engineering before changing my major. After taking a systems physiology class this semester i realized i had an interest in the medical field. I will be graduating next May 2015, and applying next fall to MD/DO schools.

My cGPA=3.28 and sGPA=3.16, reason my science GPA is so low is i received a D my freshmen year in Engineering Physiscs and then retook it and received an A. I averaged out the two grades because i assumed that they would include it in the science calculations even though it was engineering physics.

I still have to take OChem 1/2 with lab, Physics 2 with lab, BioChem, and the MCAT.

Looking at my stats should i go ahead and continue in pursuing MD/DO? Is there any realistic chance? Should i retake my chem 1 and bio 1 received Bs? Do y'all have any suggestions in how to strengthen my application since GPA is not up to par?

So should i even bother applying to MD programs? And if there really isn't much of a difference between DO and MD programs how come DO programs are much more relaxed on GPA?

So should i even bother applying to MD programs? And if there really isn't much of a difference between DO and MD programs how come DO programs are much more relaxed on GPA?
It really depends on what you want/what kind of money you are willing to spend. If you have the money and want to include MD apps, sure why not, but your chances are very very slim. Search up if you want to know why the historical difference in DO's and why that makes them less competitive now, and why they are also becoming more and more similar to MD programs, but essentially you will be absolutely fine with a DO unless you are going for a highly competitive specialty.