Realistic number of schools to add with my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentSwag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.93 overall GPA, a 4.0 Science GPA, and a 22 AA, 22TS (27 ochem, 22 Gen Chem, 20 Bio), 25 RC, 20 PAT, and 18 QR DAT. I marked only 4 schools originally on my aadsas, and now I have recieved some conflicting advice as to how many schools to add. Again, I don't want to drop thousands on applying if I don't have to, but I also really want to get in this cycle. Let me know what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

Kinda depends which four schools you picked, IMO. You have great stats, so you shouldn't have to worry unless you picked like 4 OOS schools or something like that. I personally am not one to gamble, so I would added 1 or 2 more, but it's your call :)

Kinda depends which four schools you picked, IMO. You have great stats, so you shouldn't have to worry unless you picked like 4 OOS schools or something like that. I personally am not one to gamble, so I would added 1 or 2 more, but it's your call :)
I have one in-state school, which I obviously applied to. I'm from the midwest; any schools you might recommend that are out of state friendly?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am Midwest too with similar stats. Where did you apply? I applied to 6, but since I am from a state with no dental school, the surrounding schools tend to not consider me as OOS as other applicants (not tuition wise though, unfortunately;)). Creighton, Marquette, Minnesota are all pretty OOS friendly. Always add a few private schools if possible - Case Western may be another option. With your stats it doesn't hurt to apply to Nebraska, they like a high GPA, but they do make it clear they are a Nebraska school first, but a regional school second (for those states w/o dental schools - ND, SD, MT, WY, etc. ) I got an interview at Iowa as well, and they accept about half of the OOS applicants interviewed, so your chances there are pretty good if you get an interview! Hope this helps.

I have so far applied to Iowa, Nebraska, Creighton, and Marquette. I am thinking Ohio State as well. How is Case Western in terms of tuition?

It's a private school, so around what you would pay for an OOS state school. I would definitely add Minnesota!
See, for some reason I've always thought that Minnesota was way expensive compared to Nebraska. Is that just me?

It is, but you're going to be in debt no matter what. The cost of living is also much cheaper in Lincoln compared to the cities. I can't even factor in cost because I will have to pay OOS no matter where I go. I won't really look at the numbers too heavily until I see where I get in. I like that you are only putting down schools you really want to go to though. Totally up to you! I would just look into it because they are pretty OOS friendly and will increase your chances of an acceptance.
That's a good call. It's just hard to wrap my mind around $400000 lol

I feel ya, it's a big number. Every dentist I talk to though, even the newer ones, say don't let money get in the way - it's more manageable than you think. I'm a minimalist though, so I'm fine living in a box and keeping my college car for several years lol.
Are we the same person? Haha I'm keeping my college car until it literally cannot drive

Haha probably! Lots of similarities it seems - I drove my last car until it literally died in the middle of the intersection. Oops.
Nothing wrong with that- get your money's worth!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey not trying to crash your post lol, but I was wondering if I could jump in on this for some advice as well.

oGPA: 3.79 sGPA 3.84 DAT: AA 21 PAT 21 TS 21 (No section below 17)

So far I have applied to Ohio state, VCU, WVU. I am an Ohio resident and went to WVU as an undergrad. Should I be adding other schools? If so, what would you guys add?