Quantcast

Realistic Specialities for Academically Poor IMG Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what specialities can a Caribbean medical student (US citizen) realistically match into with a low gpa and USMLE Step I scores of below 80?

doc_strange2001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Family medicine for sure. And possibly some community pediatircs and internal med programs. But if there is something you really have your heart set on (omit Derm, optho, rads, ortho) you should do some subI's and really bust your a$$. Get some stellar LORs. Then ace step II.

2ndyear

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the gas interview trail this year, you should definately have a shot at the 'less desireable' anesthesia programs. I met many IMG's at interviews and I'm sure that they weren't all stellar numbers-wise. Just by pure numbers there are a ton of positions out there. As long as location isn't confining you you can get into many specialties. Many of these 'less desireable' programs are based purely upon location. Either too rural or in places that not many people want to be. There are still plenty of programs in more desireable places that have a track record of accepting IMG's, they are just less well known.

panch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[although it pains me to say this]:
i would add neurology at less desirable places to live/less desirable programs into that mix. over the past few years there are more US seniors/grads going into neuro, yet there still are more spots than US seniors/grads.

there generally are a handful of neuro spots left after the match and another 1-2 dozen that open up during any given year as ppl decide during their intern year or during their neuro years to switch to medicine or gas (or even rads?)

if you're willing to live in semi-rural location and/or go to a less desirable program (and of course are interested in the neurosciences), you might be able to match neuro. also as it is an early match, even if you don't match you can still be in the regular match during the same year for all the residencies.

i agree w/ the other posts re (in no particular order): FP, IM, Peds, Path, Psych

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.