Realistic view of life in dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliDDS1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not a thread to tell you don't go here or there. I've been where you are. I am a GP that has practiced for about 5 years now. I've been a predent. I know the feeling of thinking we'll if I don't go into dentistry there is nothing better. I came out of dental school with about 240k in loans, and closing in on paying them off. I make about 230k a year that has been trending upward. I will tell you that it's a HUSTLE in the real world. I can't tell you how many crappy associate jobs I've had or the countless stories of being taken advantage of. I'm still an associate in a better situation now, but as a GP to make more than average of have to hustle. Day to day I use dentistry to pay my bills and that's it. It's not a passion, it's a job. I am contemplating going back to orthodontic residency, and in the same dilemma most of you had regarding loans for residency. If you have a will to hustle you can overcome the loans. Just know going in that it's not a cakewalk and you have to hustle, hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately 240k is a bargain nowaways for dental school. People will only have it worse than you, however, 230k isn't a bad deal. Why haven't you gone to private practice yet?

Reactions: 2 users
This is not a thread to tell you don't go here or there. I've been where you are. I am a GP that has practiced for about 5 years now. I've been a predent. I know the feeling of thinking we'll if I don't go into dentistry there is nothing better. I came out of dental school with about 240k in loans, and closing in on paying them off. I make about 230k a year that has been trending upward. I will tell you that it's a HUSTLE in the real world. I can't tell you how many crappy associate jobs I've had or the countless stories of being taken advantage of. I'm still an associate in a better situation now, but as a GP to make more than average of have to hustle. Day to day I use dentistry to pay my bills and that's it. It's not a passion, it's a job. I am contemplating going back to orthodontic residency, and in the same dilemma most of you had regarding loans for residency. If you have a will to hustle you can overcome the loans. Just know going in that it's not a cakewalk and you have to hustle, hard.
Which states are you practicing in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately 240k is a bargain nowaways for dental school. People will only have it worse than you, however, 230k isn't a bad deal. Why haven't you gone to private practice yet?
I landed in an associateship where they were paying me pretty well, and I was still floating around the idea of going back for ortho. You make a good point, but getting a practice does not mean increased income. A lot of guys get a practice that just never takes off and is a lost opportunity.
Which states are you practicing in?

Haha yea cali, very saturated. Ethics become highly questionable in questionable areas

Reactions: 1 user
If you could go back to the beginning of the process and do it all again, would you have done anything different?

I know you say you're hustling, but 230k in Cali is a damn good deal.

Just make sure you don't burn yourself out early!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure your view on GD is the end all be all "realistic" view. Just because you view GD as a job, doesn't mean someone else can't see it as a passion.

Your view is a view. Not the view.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean... Can you think of a job that makes over $200K that doesn't require you to hustle?
Yes. Dentistry ~20 years ago. Which I assume is OP's point-that it's not what it used to be.

If you could go back to the beginning of the process and do it all again, would you have done anything different?

I would have tried to specialize earlier. The grass is always greener, and I don't know necessarily if you make more in certain specialties anymore. When you are a GP you have to be a jack of all trades to make good money and that's very difficult.

I know you say you're hustling, but 230k in Cali is a damn good deal.

Just make sure you don't burn yourself out early!

Exactly, burn out can happen. 230 also seems like a lot and when I was a predent or dental student I thought it was. When you get out and every other month you have to put 10k to loans, it evaporates pretty quickly. Then you have to save for a house, retirement, etc and it's not enough.

I'm not sure your view on GD is the end all be all "realistic" view. Just because you view GD as a job, doesn't mean someone else can't see it as a passion.

It could be, from what I've been around and seen in local markets dentistry is very questionable ethically. GPs often push their limits to make more money. The guys making the most as a GP are often (not always, but often) the worst dentists clinically and ethically, but business wise they know how to make money.

I mean... Can you think of a job that makes over $200K that doesn't require you to hustle?

Good point, but some days when you are trying to do 3 molar root canal/post/crowns, a difficult surgical extraction that insurance is paying you $60, and the crown insert on the second molar where the patient just can't open you start thinking there's gotta be an easier way to make 200k. If you don't understand, you will once your in the mouth hole for 10 hours a day with no lunch break.

What a load of bul****

Even for the most specialized physicians, everything eventually becomes routine and a way to make a decent living. I always was attracted to dentistry as I viewed it as something which would enable me to pursue my real passions, I'm sure a lot (but not all) of pre-dents are the same way. If you can be passionate about drilling teeth all day, but making very little after that monthly loan payment is paid, then kudos to you. I want a good-paying job, with good mobility and less loan-related stressors (school, practice, residency loans).

Members don't see this ad :)
I can sympathize, but honestly, welcome to the real world. There is no easy way to make money, and there are many out there in our country who struggle to afford the most basic standard of living. I think once you put that in perspective, you'll realize we have it better than most. If not, I suggest you take some time to observe and understand the world outside the dentistry bubble.

Yea, a dental student welcoming a 5 year practicing dentist to the real world :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 users
If you don't specialize, do you plan to be an associate for the rest of your career?

I can sympathize, but honestly, welcome to the real world. There is no easy way to make money, and there are many out there in our country who struggle to afford the most basic standard of living. I think once you put that in perspective, you'll realize we have it better than most. If not, I suggest you take some time to observe and understand the world outside the dentistry bubble.

I take that as a compliment. When a 5-year practicing dentist struggles to comprehend how the real world works... happy to offer my two cents.

Hey man, I get it. I prob never had a job before I went to dental school and was spoon fed my whole life. Well, I worked from the bottom to the top man. Guess who was working the counter at Wendy's back in the day? Your boy. I respect your opinion, but when you graduate, have loans to pay and a family to support, you just worked all day trying to please patients that either are scared of you or have no respect for you because of other dentists, plus they get the ability to review your every move or even better sue you for farting the wrong way, reread what I wrote. You want real life dentistry, welcome to the real world.

If you don't specialize, do you plan to be an associate for the rest of your career?

Nope, I'm just waiting to see how this application cycle plays out then make my next move.

If you want to make it anywhere in life you have to hustle, my friend. Especially when you're just starting off. Did you think you were just gonna **** 230k/year out of your ass?

change the name of this thread to "personal view of life in dentistry"

Some of the pre-dents on here are arrogant know-it-alls.

Will make for great dentists, no doubt :)

Pretty mild here compared to the other subforums on sdn...unless you're talking about yourself

Well, idk I've noticed more respect for practicing physicians in the pre-med forums. At least no one is challenging their experiences out of their ass.

Hey man, I get it. I prob never had a job before I went to dental school and was spoon fed my whole life. Well, I worked from the bottom to the top man. Guess who was working the counter at Wendy's back in the day? Your boy. I respect your opinion, but when you graduate, have loans to pay and a family to support, you just worked all day trying to please patients that either are scared of you or have no respect for you because of other dentists, plus they get the ability to review your every move or even better sue you for farting the wrong way, reread what I wrote. You want real life dentistry, welcome to the real world.

Nope, I'm just waiting to see how this application cycle plays out then make my next move.

I have to ask, why not leave California?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I landed in an associateship where they were paying me pretty well, and I was still floating around the idea of going back for ortho. You make a good point, but getting a practice does not mean increased income. A lot of guys get a practice that just never takes off and is a lost opportunity.

Haha yea cali, very saturated. Ethics become highly questionable in questionable areas

Also, considering all the question marks around Ortho right now why take on the extra debt when you're already making what a lot of Orthos make?

change the name of this thread to "personal view of life in dentistry"

Every view is a personal view unless its published in a paper? I supposed if you want to be PG then "Personal view of 2012-2017 view of a while male in Californa's lifestyle in GP dentistry" Seriously, its really heavily implied if someone comments on a forum its their personal views....

Also, there's this thing where people push back so much against views not exactly the same as their own. Its his opinion, let him share it, and learn from it if you want and move on. There are more comments judging and talking about why hes talking than asking him actual questions. Thats my 2 cents.

Reactions: 6 users
Every view is a personal view unless its published in a paper? I supposed if you want to be PG then "Personal view of 2012-2017 view of a while male in Californa's lifestyle in GP dentistry" Seriously, its really heavily implied if someone comments on a forum its their personal views....

Also, there's this thing where people push back so much against views not exactly the same as their own. Its his opinion, let him share it, and learn from it if you want and move on. There are more comments judging and talking about why hes talking than asking him actual questions. Thats my 2 cents.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Yes. Dentistry ~20 years ago. Which I assume is OP's point-that it's not what it used to be.
I have been in private practice over 30 years. It was not any easier 20 years ago. You still had to hustle to build and maintain a practice. With the advent of more predictable implants and restorative opportunities, I actually think GD has gotten better, and in some way easier. Endo is definitely easier now than it was 20 years ago. Both of these are big practice builders and are also high paying procedures. The "golden years" of dentistry I heard talk about when I graduated (1983) were mostly about amalgam and gold restorations. I barely even do these anymore. Opportunities in dentistry are what you make of them.

Reactions: 13 users

Good retort.

If I had a prospective dental student tell me in the interview that Dentistry is their passion, I would not let them in. I've never met anyone that has a passion for dentistry. It's a job. A very very very tough job. And most dentists know that and that's why the passion is hard to find. There's no passion in insurance....debt....tough fills/crowns....maybe once a year you will find someone that you will help and feel passionate about...., and then they don't pay you or leave to another dentist....maybe you will find someone that you change their lives and feel passion. But simple drill and fill? Lol.

Good retort.

If I had a prospective dental student tell me in the interview that Dentistry is their passion, I would not let them in. I've never met anyone that has a passion for dentistry. It's a job. A very very very tough job. And most dentists know that and that's why the passion is hard to find. There's no passion in insurance....debt....tough fills/crowns....maybe once a year you will find someone that you will help and feel passionate about...., and then they don't pay you or leave to another dentist....maybe you will find someone that you change their lives and feel passion. But simple drill and fill? Lol.
Maybe you're right - maybe you're not. Just don't act like we all have to be as pessimistic as you.

Good retort.

There are a lot of jobs that are difficult that people are passionate about. Of course a lot of people are burned out, but if you disregard dentistry so much it seems to me the career just isn't for you.

I'm just a pre-dent though, so what do I know

Good retort.

I will agree with you that dentistry is simply a job, not a calling or some sort of life fulfillment, but it does sound to me like it's getting you down. I know lots of unhappy dentists, and I find that they are overwhelmed by all of the insane and inane things you have mentioned....and many more you did not. It is admittedly difficult to remain interested and engaged all of the time. This field is clearly not for everyone, and before anyone was admitted to D school, I think they should be very sure of what exactly they are getting into. From the PS's I have read for predents, it does not seem that way.

Good retort.

If you don't have your heart set in something, you won't have the passion. That's why you're supposed to find someone you love and be passionate with them.

Everything in life is tough. Nothing worth a damn is easy. I'm not sure what your argument is to be honest.

I will agree with you that dentistry is simply a job, not a calling or some sort of life fulfillment, but it does sound to me like it's getting you down. I know lots of unhappy dentists, and I find that they are overwhelmed by all of the insane and inane things you have mentioned....and many more you did not. It is admittedly difficult to remain interested and engaged all of the time. This field is clearly not for everyone, and before anyone was admitted to D school, I think they should be very sure of what exactly they are getting into. From the PS's I have read for predents, it does not seem that way.

Simply a job? Not a calling or life fulfillment?

Good retort.

I disagree with this statement. Dentistry might not be a passion for some dentists but it is for others. My aunt is a dentist and she feels very passionate about it. She always say how much she loves her job, sometimes is hard, but she enjoys what she does.

What the hell is passion for dentistry? Passion for the sciences? Passion for drilling on teeth?

I think when people say that, they mean a passion for the elements that make up the dental field.

A passion for interacting and getting to know people

A passion for helping and guiding people

A passion for fixing things

A passion for advising others

A passion for problem solving

A passion for the application of the sciences

A passion for using one's hands

I don't think anyone specifically has a passion for fixing teeth and looking into people's mouths. They have a passion for the large scale elements that make up the field as a whole.

Reactions: 7 users
What the hell is passion for dentistry? Passion for the sciences? Passion for drilling on teeth? Passion for the $$?

What is passion for your wife? husband?

Many things.

Sure, but what about when things go wrong? What if you're struggling with people because you haven't developed your social skills? What if you just can't seem to get a handle on your hand-skills? What if people just don't seem to listen to you as a dentist? What if you do the best darn work in the city, but you can't seem to get a strong, growing pt base? Isn't everyone passionate about exciting things so long as things go as planned?

How would a socially undeveloped person have a passion for interacting with people? If you can't get a handle on your hand skills, you practice more than your peers to get better. There's a basic level of competency needed to graduate dental school.

If people don't listen to you, there isn't much you can do. That's life. You can try to be more persuasive, but some people have their mind set.

Well my first question is why are you working in a city that has a limited patient based due to saturation? Do your homework first before setting up a practice.

No. A passion is a passion. Just because you run into some problems that you can't solve doesn't mean you lose your passion for problem solving.

I don't see the point in always thinking of the negatives. It is important to be practical, but sometimes people misconstrue that as looking at the worst case scenario for everything.

Anyone that goes into a health profession to make a bunch of money is delusional. Is the pay good? Sure. But if money is your only motivation, there are plenty of careers where you can make more money / just as much money with less work.

This thread man lol. Good luck getting into ortho @CaliDDS1986 !! Seemed too chill for me, but lifestyle seemed great. Hope you have the grades ;)

Anyone that goes into a health profession to make a bunch of money is delusional. Is the pay good? Sure. But if money is your only motivation, there are plenty of careers where you can make more money / just as much money with less work.

Yup! If you are passionate about money, go into finance, commerce, Wall Street, real estate, etc.

Don't go into dentistry to become a millionaire

You can definitely have under-developed social skills and be "passionate" about interacting with people. The trouble is, you may not know that your social skills need work until you realize they are lacking through things not going your way. As far as hand skills go, I agree that you can practice practice practice; however, sometimes things do not go your way even though you try your best to do everything right. Plus there are time constraints when you're working as a dentist. It's one thing to be good, it's another thing to be good and fast.

While there are many people who cannot be persuaded to accept tx, there are some that can and this goes back to social skills. The really good dentists are able to persuade their patients either themselves or through their assistants.

I never said anything about a limited patient base due to saturation. The thing is, and I think you would know this, is that good work does not guarantee anything in the business world. In fact, often the best workers (who probably are the most "passionate") do not obtain the levels of success that their lesser skilled colleagues do.

I'm not trying to push people to think negatively. I am playing Devil's advocate here. I can't wait to be a dentist and I love the field. That being said, I think it's naive to think that "passion" is this thing that will save so many. Everyone is passionate about something until things go awry. When and if it happens, I don't think passion will save you, but self-awareness, wisdom, and a systems-approach will.

Everything in your first two paragraphs are things that can be worked on.

Sure, but that's why you need to have good business sense in order to open up your own practice. If you know you don't have the business sense or the drive, why screw yourself over by opening a practice? Seems nonsensical.

Nowhere did I say passion will save anybody. You asked what passion for dentistry means, and I answered the question.

If you're in this career for the money, you went into the wrong one. If you aren't ready to work harder than the average joe, you went into the wrong one. Passion remains whether things go wrong or not. That's literally what a passion for something is. But that has nothing to do with the success of a dentist; it only deals with the motivation and happiness of the person themselves.

Many professions (making a living in general) are a hustle. As a non-traditional dental school applicant, I'd rather hustle while making 6 figures and making positive impacts than to hustle barely making $40,000 with my Mbio degree. Many employers will try to take advantage of you whether you're an associate dentist or not. Dentists have it really good compared to many, many average people out there. If some people are upset (I'm not saying you are, OP) because they can't make half a million dollars, it's time they wake up.

Reactions: 7 users
I disagree. This field has done very well for a lot of people compared to what's out there, but you have to grind and hustle like OP says. Complacent dentists who think the $$$ is owed to them are the ones that struggle. Same with the ones who think they know-it-all. You keep ignoring my point which is that passion and success are related to each other. When things go right, people become more passionate. When they go wrong, people get down on themselves. You don't have to look far to see this.

You're right, they are related to each other. But we disagree on how exactly they relate to each other, which is fine.

To me, passion can, but doesn't necessarily, lead to success. The presence of success does not make one passionate. Nor does the absence of success lead to an absence of passion. That's just the way I view it.

Yup! If you are passionate about money, go into finance, commerce, Wall Street, real estate, etc.

Don't go into dentistry to become a millionaire
I feel like everyone ALWAYS says this and I think it is completely wrong. So you get a degree in finance right? You get hired at around 50-60K. If you're lucky you may hit 100K in 5-10 years, but you will always be working for someone else. Plus your average finance major won't make anywhere near what a dentist makes and won't have anywhere near the type of lifestyle a dentist would. So no, going into finance does not equate to making a lot of money. I have countless family friends that are dentists and MD's and they all have excellent lives, make great money, and love their jobs. Dentistry is a great field and can lead to a luxurious lifestyle.

I feel like everyone ALWAYS says this and I think it is completely wrong. So you get a degree in finance right? You get hired at around 50-60K. If you're lucky you may hit 100K in 5-10 years, but you will always be working for someone else. Plus your average finance major won't make anywhere near what a dentist makes and won't have anywhere near the type of lifestyle a dentist would. So no, going into finance does not equate to making a lot of money. I have countless family friends that are dentists and MD's and they all have excellent lives, make great money, and love their jobs. Dentistry is a great field and can lead to a luxurious lifestyle.

I'm not sure this is accurate because all of the people I know that graduated with business degrees are starting at 75k a year (most working at PwC). The kicker is a lot of them don't even have undergrad debt.

If money is your one and only focus, there are much better and faster paths to obtain it if you're willing to put in the sacrifice.

I'm not sure this is accurate because all of the people I know that graduated with business degrees are starting at 75k a year (most working at PwC). The kicker is a lot of them don't even have undergrad debt.

If money is your one and only focus, there are much better and faster paths to obtain it if you're willing to put in the sacrifice.

Ok, so 75K. That's a great starting salary for a young 21/22 year old, but that is pennies when you compare it to 230K dentist salary. Sure, there is debt to deal with, but you would be making enough money to be able to pay it off. Money isn't the only factor, but it definitely plays a role. My point is, your typical business major will most likely never achieve a 200K salary in their life. Most of them will cap out around 100K.

Ok, so 75K. That's a great starting salary for a young 21/22 year old, but that is pennies when you compare it to 230K dentist salary. Sure, there is debt to deal with, but you would be making enough money to be able to pay it off. Money isn't the only factor, but it definitely plays a role. My point is, your typical business major will most likely never achieve a 200K salary in their life. Most of them will cap out around 100K.

The average dentist salary isn't 230k though, it's like 146k. Sure you'll make more as a practice owner/if you live rural, but that comes with more debt and potential pit falls.

Don't get me wrong, Dentistry is a very rewarding profession. However, IMHO if all you're concerned about is dollar bills it's not the best way to get them. Even within Dentistry the highest earners end up becoming de facto businessmen by owning multiple practices and hiring associates.

The average dentist salary isn't 230k though, it's like 146k. Sure you'll make more as a practice owner/if you live rural, but that comes with more debt and potential pit falls.

Don't get me wrong, Dentistry is a very rewarding profession. However, IMHO if all you're concerned about is dollar bills it's not the best way to get them. Even within Dentistry the highest earners end up becoming de facto businessmen by owning multiple practices and hiring associates.

In my area the average salary ranges from 170-250K (There are some that are around 120-140 as well). But I understand what you're saying. There is a lot of responsibility and stress when it comes down to owning and maintaining a practice. Anyone who isn't prepared to deal with that, should probably stay away from dentistry. And yes, there are certainly other ways to make money. But to me, the dental field seems like the best option. Great job, great work environment, great salary, autonomy, etc. But of course everyone has their own opinions.

Maybe you're right - maybe you're not. Just don't act like we all have to be as pessimistic as you.
I agree. I think the word passion really is a naive word that pre dent Med pharm throw around. That irks me that someone can say passion when the OP has been in the field for a long time.

40 hours shadowing and uncle that has a practice and tells stories does not equate to passion to help people.

Now if you are a dental assistant or hygienist and have been in the trenches and decide to go back to school to be a dentist...sure that's a passion. If that's you, then my apologies and best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyone working at PwC will tell you he/she is HUSTLING as well...and for what 75K with a cap of 100-120K max? all the while working for someone else and not having a lifestyle compared to that of a dentist? Also couple that with job instability (knowing you could be fired if you f'ed up?)
Sorry dentistry is way better even if it is ONLY about the money.

My investment banking friends at goldman are jealous of me being in dental school right now. I also have minimal loans so that helps my case better. I can see how this would tip the favor to someone in finance if a dentist has massive amounts of debt.