Realistically, how impossible is it to get into a Clinical PhD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouskate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've read on the internet and from what rumors I've heard from other students, it sounds like it's practically impossible to be accepted to a clinical PhD program without a number of years of research with at least one publication, experience working with patients, impeccable straight As, and glowing recommendations from top-of-their-field Academics.

I'm not perfect, but it is safe to say that I am a good student, good researcher, and a responsible and intelligent person. I'm in my final year of an Honors Psych undergrad at a well respected university. I have about a 3.5 CGPA (hopefully better after this year), and I have a few years of research experience (albeit not with super-famous profs). I've written an excellent thesis, impressed my profs, and done volunteer work with patients. I still haven't been published.

I have been so excited at the idea of going on to get a PhD in clinical psychology, but all this talk has made me feel like I have no chance at all of getting in. Instead of being excited, I just feel terrible. I think I'd make a good psychologist and good grad student, but apparently I'm not good enough.

Does anybody know the truth of the matter? Are the chances really this slim?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds to me like you probably have a good shot. Part of why it seems so impossible is that many people apply without really knowing what they are getting into. Remember that you only need to get into <b>1</b> place, but you may need to apply to 15 to do that. Everyone is in the same boat there. Make sure that you find a research match with a faculty member and can articulate that match in your statement of purpose.

Members don't see this ad :)
it sounds like it's practically impossible to be accepted to a clinical PhD program

That may be the case if you are looking at any one school, so that is why you need to hedge your bets and apply to several universities. Your odds are much better if you apply to four or five schools, instead of one.

Honestly, I didn't find the process as daunting as people made it out to be (it still sucked, but it's not like you're don Quixote fighting windmills or anything).

I maintain that if I got in my first try, almost anyone can. ;)

Honestly, I didn't find the process as daunting as people made it out to be (it still sucked, but it's not like you're don Quixote fighting windmills or anything).

+1 for the Spanish lit reference!

I'm applying this year and I feel a little inadequate at times, but then remember that the one thing that really matters is match. I find a program I "click" with that's the one that's going to work out. Positive thinking..... right?!?!? : )

it's practically impossible to be accepted to a clinical PhD program without a number of years of research with at least one publication, experience working with patients, impeccable straight As, and glowing recommendations from top-of-their-field Academics.

Getting into a Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program is competitive, but not impossible. From your discription of your qualifications, I think you have a great shot.

I reviewed applications for several years at a respected Clinical Psyc Ph.D. program and the qualifications that we weighed most heavily are as follows:

1. GRE scores (although I don't think GRE scores differentiate between good and poor students - a 1200 [verbal plus quant] was required for applications to be looked at - unless the rest of the applicant's record was outstanding)
2. Letters of recommendation (didn't have to be from well known psychologists, but glowing letters that speak about the applicant's record and ability to get along with others are ideal)
3. Research experience (about 90% of applicants don't have pubs so I wouldn't worry about your lack of pubs. However, we always looked for applicants who had a year or two of research experience - working in a professor's lab. This doesn't have to be in the research area that you are applying. Research experience indicates that you know what you are getting yourself into by applying to Clinical Psyc programs [lots of research required])
4. Undergrad/Masters program grades (you just have to have a minimum 3.5 is fine)
5. Clinical experience (most applicants don't have much of this - volunteering for a suicide prevention hotline is good here)
6. Everything else.

When I was applying for grad school I applied to 12 places. I got interviews at 11, but I only accepted interviews at 5 (one place accepted me without an interview so I refused interviews that were ranked lower on my list). I was accepted into 2 programs, and wait listed at 1. I was attractive on paper, but wasn't really focused on what type of research I wanted to do at that time - I think that hurt me in the interview process.

I suggest you target a specific area of research that you would like to focus your life on for 5-6 years, find professors accepting students in that area, and apply to 12-15 schools. I also suggest that you apply to Clinical and Counseling programs. Counseling programs are sometimes a bit easier to get into. Hope this helps.

Also,
Try looking at some programs that are in undesirable locations. A lot of those schools will be less competitive than say BU. Also, if you are more interested in clinical than research, I would say look at some "less prestigious" schools. The prestige comes from the amount of research that is produced, and not always the caliber clinician that comes out. For example, my school does good research (but by no means is incredibly prestigious) however we have a 100 percent match rate and get into some of the best internships in the country because of our massive amount of clinical experience (plus a legit amount of research).

But you were a really good applicant! :)

I've had some faculty "beat" the fear of Gd--er, admissions committees ;)-- into me. In a way, I'm grateful for it, as it made me look harder for and seek out opportunities to better myself as a researcher and clinician and thus as an applicant. On the flip side, it's made me rather gun shy/grounded about applying. Now that I've turned myself into a decently strong applicant (allegedly at least), a good number of people seem to have confidence in my ability to do well in the process, but I'm still going into the process knowing that outcome might not be so rosy. But it IS possible--the grad students and faculty I work with every day are proof of that (even though they are amazing--in some cases, intimidatingly so)! :)

You seem like you have a strong chance! Your GPA may be a bit on the low side, but it should meet cut-off at most places! Good luck! :luck:

I reviewed applications for several years at a respected Clinical Psyc Ph.D. program and the qualifications that we weighed most heavily are as follows:

1. GRE scores (although I don't think GRE scores differentiate between good and poor students - a 1200 [verbal plus quant] was required for applications to be looked at - unless the rest of the applicant's record was outstanding)
2. Letters of recommendation (didn't have to be from well known psychologists, but glowing letters that speak about the applicant's record and ability to get along with others are ideal)
3. Research experience (about 90% of applicants don't have pubs so I wouldn't worry about your lack of pubs. However, we always looked for applicants who had a year or two of research experience - working in a professor's lab. This doesn't have to be in the research area that you are applying. Research experience indicates that you know what you are getting yourself into by applying to Clinical Psyc programs [lots of research required])
4. Undergrad/Masters program grades (you just have to have a minimum 3.5 is fine)
5. Clinical experience (most applicants don't have much of this - volunteering for a suicide prevention hotline is good here)
6. Everything else.

Also don't forget the personal statement. In some programs, once you clear the GPA/GRE hurdle, I think this is one of the top considerations that can set you apart from 40 other applicants who have decent research experience. I had one or two profs mention my statement specifically in an interview as something that stood out to them, so don't underestimate its value (or the amount of time it will take you :)).

Also don't forget the personal statement. In some programs, once you clear the GPA/GRE hurdle, I think this is one of the top considerations that can set you apart from 40 other applicants who have decent research experience. I had one or two profs mention my statement specifically in an interview as something that stood out to them, so don't underestimate its value (or the amount of time it will take you :)).

That is great! Do you have any specific suggestions that might be helpful to te rest of us on what you did so well? I am working on SOPs now, so any help is welcome :D

Also don't forget the personal statement.

You are correct that the personal statement can be important. However, personal statements have the potential to hurt an applicant more than helping them. My advice is to have 3 or more trusted individuals (graduate students, professors, etc.) read your personal statement and give you feedback. There are many people who disclose information that should remain private in their statements (e.g., past substance abuse, past eating disorders, family history of disorders). In my opinion this type of disclosure can do much more harm than good.