Realistically, how much can I expect to be paid daily when moonlighting while in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy Williams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm graduating in a month and starting residency in July. Our program lets us moonlight, but the cost of licensure in the state I will be in is a little over $3k.

I was planning on trying to moonlight about 1 Saturday each month. I was wondering how much I could expect to be paid for each day so that I know whether or not it will be worth my time to moonlight compared to the cost of the license itself.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What type of residency? If it’s a GPR/AEGD and you’re only working a day a month, I can’t imagine making enough to offset the license fee and make it worth while. That’s only 12 days of work, so $250 each day just for your license. You’ll also need malpractice insurance.

Big Hoss

Hi everyone, I'm graduating in a month and starting residency in July. Our program lets us moonlight, but the cost of licensure in the state I will be in is a little over $3k.

I was planning on trying to moonlight about 1 Saturday each month. I was wondering how much I could expect to be paid for each day so that I know whether or not it will be worth my time to moonlight compared to the cost of the license itself.

Thanks!
How are you finding a position for 1 day a month as well?

I'm looking into moonlighting as well during my residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What type of residency? If it’s a GPR/AEGD and you’re only working a day a month, I can’t imagine making enough to offset the license fee and make it worth while. That’s only 12 days of work, so $250 each day just for your license. You’ll also need malpractice insurance.

Big Hoss
Yeah that's what i'm thinking. Even if i were to net $1-2k, idk if that would be worth it for all the time spent

I had a lot of free time in my ortho residency. I would have been really good at Instacart if it had been a thing back then.

I used to moonlight for a mobile dental company mainly doing extractions during ortho residency. Most ortho residents I met from other programs thought that was crazy but I was extremely bored. But I didn't pay $3000 for a license either so that wasn't a factor. I did not moonlight during my GPR, being on call ate up a lot of time. For the remainder of the time, I just enjoyed living and being in NYC. I think 1 guy did moonlight but again, a dental license costs under $400 in NY.

but the cost of licensure in the state I will be in is a little over $3k.
wow. hopefully that's a front loaded 1 time expense and renewal is more manageable.
I was wondering how much I could expect to be paid for each day
depends- say you get 30% of adjusted production, produce $4,000-6,000 adjusted to 3,520-5280 and take home $1056-1800/day. it's so variable and based on a number of factors: 1) your skillset and 2) how busy of a practice you work in as well as 3) what type of practice it is. (emergency clinic? comprehensive care?). if the school has a connection maybe they know more about all of this.

congrats on starting residency!

I had a lot of free time in my ortho residency. I would have been really good at Instacart if it had been a thing back then.

I used to moonlight for a mobile dental company mainly doing extractions during ortho residency. Most ortho residents I met from other programs thought that was crazy but I was extremely bored. But I didn't pay $3000 for a license either so that wasn't a factor. I did not moonlight during my GPR, being on call ate up a lot of time. For the remainder of the time, I just enjoyed living and being in NYC. I think 1 guy did moonlight but again, a dental license costs under $400 in NY.
lol. I've been doing DoorDash for the past two years. It's actually fairly easy and relaxing work as compared to dental school. buuuut it really doesn't pay much.

Hoping I can find somewhere I can make a few hundred bucks a day on the weekends. Ideally I could do hygiene, exams, and exos with the occasional restorations.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks!

What program are you headed to? You can be as discrete as you want? Is it in NC?

Its discreet, not discrete
sally kohn grammar GIF by The Opposite of Hate

....it's also the wrong its

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Thanks!
Wow, $3k for the license is a lot. Is it for every 2 years like in my state, CA?

I worked 2 Saturdays a month while I did my GPR residency. I got paid $250 a day....and $300/day was the average pay for associate GP at that time. The license fee (renewed every 2 years) was only $365….it's $650 now. Malpractice insurance was around $600/year (new grad discount)…...it's $3300/year now. And DEA fee (renewed every 3 years) was $510.

Last edited: