Realistically speaking, what BCMP GPA puts you in good standing?

About the Ads

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Oh God, please don't say 4.0!

You don't want to separate out BCPM -- you need both cumulative and BCPM to be good. Eg a high BCPM of 4.0 but with a cumulative of 2.9 doesn't get you into med school. In general, the average GPA of folks getting into US allo med schools is a 3.6. Since the majority of applicants are still science majors (for now), the BCPM is also probably close to that 3.6. Assume you are competitive if you have this or higher, and less competitive the lower below this you have.

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
Oh God, please don't say 4.0!

For 2008 matriculants, mean science GPA ranges from 3.30 (for blacks) to 3.72. Likewise, cumulative GPA ranges from 3.44 to 3.75. The mean MCAT ranges between 24.9 and 32.2. But race is not really a solid determining facor as there also factors like the extracurricular activities, LORs, and essays that can allow you to be competitive with lower GPA or require that your GPA be higher to make up for them.

TehDoc

What a pain...
10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2008
CA
Status (Visible)
People have gotten in with surprisingly lower gpas but good standing would be 3.4+

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
For 2008 matriculants, mean science GPA ranges from 3.30 (for blacks) to 3.72. Likewise, cumulative GPA ranges from 3.44 to 3.75. The mean MCAT ranges between 24.9 and 32.2. But race is not really a solid determining facor as there also factors like the extracurricular activities, LORs, and essays that can allow you to be competitive with lower GPA or require that your GPA be higher to make up for them.

Out of curiousity...why was it necessary to make racial distinctions at all in your response?

scrubsaresexy

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
podunk, md
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Out of curiousity...why was it necessary to make racial distinctions at all in your response?

Not to start some sort of SDN battle, but it is kind of silly to pretend that there aren't differences in GPA based on race. Pick up your handy copy of the MSAR and you'll see that some of the traditionally minority-based medical schools have a lower median GPA and MCAT score (for example, Howard). I doubt that Excelsius meant to offend anybody, but maybe in the future, URM would be a better word to use than 'blacks'...

biophysicianai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Bup-boh!
moz-screenshot.jpg
154615__blues_l.jpg

it's starting again!

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Not to start some sort of SDN battle, but it is kind of silly to pretend that there aren't differences in GPA based on race. Pick up your handy copy of the MSAR and you'll see that some of the traditionally minority-based medical schools have a lower median GPA and MCAT score (for example, Howard). I doubt that Excelsius meant to offend anybody, but maybe in the future, URM would be a better word to use than 'blacks'...

welp, here we go again

GetYoPopcornReady.gif

bluesmd

10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2008
is in countdown mode
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

so for east asians do matriculants have higher gpas and mcats ... just kidding :D

About the Ads

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status (Visible)

I thought we would be more or less over the race hypersensitiveness (and yes, I did vote for Obama). The reason I only mentioned black was because it was the lowest on the spectrum and I wanted to give a data range. If it was white, I would say so. You can go here: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2007/mcatgparaceeth07.htm and see that data too. All I am doing is reproducing the lowest and the highest ends of the spectrum.

Let's be civil enough to distinguish between a restatement of statistics and racial remarks. It is offensive.

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
I will also add: Why is everyone assuming that somehow having a low GPA numbers for your ethnicity is a bad thing? The reason you think so is because you are affected by all those people saying that it is shameful. These are the people who are the real racists and it doesn't do service to minorities to be affected by these remarks, because the remarks are a fallacy. It's the people saying those things that you need to address.

I think that given the historical poverty level among some ethnicities and the hardships they have to overcome, low GPAs are explainable, not shameful.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
I thought we would be more or less over the race hypersensitiveness (and yes, I did vote for Obama). The reason I only mentioned black was because it was the lowest on the spectrum and I wanted to give a data range. If it was white, I would say so. You can go here: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2007/mcatgparaceeth07.htm and see that data too. All I am doing is reproducing the lowest and the highest ends of the spectrum.

Let's be civil enough to distinguish between a restatement of statistics and racial remarks. It is offensive.

This is amusing. First, I don't think I wasn't being civil in any way. Second, there's more to the spectrum than hypersensitivity and gross apathy. Third...thanks for the political confession but that has no bearing on what we're discussing. Voting for Obama is not a prerequisite for being racially open-minded.

I'm simply confused why it was necessary to mention race instead of simply providing the range. If your intention was truly to make the OP aware that the range is different for different minorities than why not share that range rather than simply tossing in that the lowest is for blacks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dispute that blacks have lower median scores than other applicants each year. That's cold hard statistics. I also don't dispute that Asians have higher statistics each year. My issue was with your decision to toss in the racial identification (and incompletely so), especially given the nature of these boards. It simply wasn't needed.

So please don't try proposing that your remarks were simply an attempt to present the statistics. It's offensive.

LossForWords

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I had a 3.1 and got in, so I'd say a 4.0 isn't necessarily necessary.

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
This is amusing. First, I don't think I wasn't being civil in any way. Second, there's more to the spectrum than hypersensitivity and gross apathy. Third...thanks for the political confession but that has no bearing on what we're discussing. Voting for Obama is not a prerequisite for being racially open-minded.

I'm simply confused why it was necessary to mention race instead of simply providing the range. If your intention was truly to make the OP aware that the range is different for different minorities than why not share that range rather than simply tossing in that the lowest is for blacks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dispute that blacks have lower median scores than other applicants each year. That's cold hard statistics. I also don't dispute that Asians have higher statistics each year. My issue was with your decision to toss in the racial identification (and incompletely so), especially given the nature of these boards. It simply wasn't needed.

So please don't try proposing that your remarks were simply an attempt to present the statistics. It's offensive.

I agree with you that perhaps I could list a range and leave out the specific race, but I really didn't even think about that because I just thought that mentioning one of the ethnicities would make it clear to understand what my data was about. Someone who has been accused of racism before would likely pay attention to that detail. I had no reason to. I also wanted to list all the ethnicities, but that was too much work. In retrospect, I guess it's worth going through the extra work to keep those who are still very sensitive satisfied.

Your last sentence is upsetting and also shows your immaturity. You are ready to attack someone without even knowing who or what that person is. I don't have anything else to add.

Maxwell Edison

Majoring In Medicine
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2007
Minneapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If multi-generational poverty were indeed the root cause of the alleged "lower expectations" then race would not have earned mention in your first post. I don't know where you were trying to go with that comment, but I don't imagine that you lacked the self-consciousness not to know that the racial qualification would be a provocative statement.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.