Realistically, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

green lantern

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior small Liberal Arts College with a major in Pre-Physical Therapy
My cGPA is 3.7, sGPA 3.7 (with room to improve)
I have multiple academic awards and honor societies for my grades.

ECs
I played Basketball for two years
Resident Assistant for a year and a Lead Resident Assistant currently.
Director of a Leadership organization on campus.
Tutoring Anatomy
I volunteer at a hospital for over 2 years and have 100+ hours working in Surgery room and Physical Therapy department. I also volunteer with Ronald McDonald House with 50+ hours. I have been on two service trips to NYC and Boston through my school
I shadowed a Doctor for 40 hours and plan on shadowing a D.O. over winter break.

MCAT
I got a 22 my first time. I know it is a bad score. I am enrolled in a Kaplan Course to raise my MCAT score. Aiming for a 30.

I have to take a year off to get my MCAT up. During my year off I plan to save up money and work in a hospital setting. Ideally, a Patient Care Assistant to get patient experience.

Question
With my EC, Grades, Experiences, what are my chances at getting into medical school if I improve my weak areas?

Is there anything else I should improve upon to better my chances?

Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

ECs
Tutoring Anatomy
I volunteer at a hospital for over 2 years and have 100+ hours working in Surgery room and Physical Therapy department. I also volunteer with Ronald McDonald House with 50+ hours. I have been on two service trips to NYC and Boston through my school
I shadowed a Doctor for 40 hours and plan on shadowing a D.O. over winter break.

MCAT
I got a 22 my first time. I know it is a bad score. I am enrolled in a Kaplan Course to raise my MCAT score. Aiming for a 30.

I have to take a year off to get my MCAT up. During my year off I plan to save up money and work in a hospital setting. Ideally, a Patient Care Assistant to get patient experience.

Question
1) With my EC, Grades, Experiences, what are my chances at getting into medical school if I improve my weak areas?

2) Is there anything else I should improve upon to better my chances?

Thanks for your help!!
1) Chances at a DO med school with a 26+ MCAT are very good. Chances at an MD acceptance with a 3.7/30 have for All Applicants historically been 66%.

2) You might consider getting in a research experience. Continue the local nonmedical community service.

[A DO is a doctor, too, BTW. It helps if some of the shadowing is with an office-based primary care doc.]

I looked into research possibilities but, they never worked out. With graduation I can't do research with my school. I don't know of anywhere I can do research outside of school. I also took a Phelbotomy course and I am looking into jobs with this as well. At either a lab or blood giving centers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't bother doing any applications until you re-take that MCAT. Shoot for >30.

ECs
Tutoring Anatomy

MCAT

Question
With my EC, Grades, Experiences, what are my chances at getting into medical school if I improve my weak areas?

Thanks for your help!!

I think your EC's are great, GPA is great, and working in a hospital setting definitely can help. To echo what others have said before, your biggest issue is the MCAT. Definitely retake it, and that should put you in a better position for applying.

Also get a letter of rec from one of the physicians (the MD or the DO) because you'll need one when applying to DO schools.

Your GPA is really good
Just bring that MCAT up and I think you have a good chance. Take a prep course, they really help. The princeton review books are great. You should also look into getting exam kracker workbooks with 1001 questions

Getting the bare minimum medical school acceptance range for you (considering your GPA) 28 MCAT score should not be hard with effort. Good luck!

Last edited:

ECs
Tutoring Anatomy

MCAT

Question

Thanks for your help!!

With current MCAT: 0% chance.
With 30 on the MCAT: very good chance.

I have the EK 1001 questions and I am taking a Kaplan course so I should be able to get my MCAT to where I need it to be. I also have shadowing of a DO in the works so that will be taken care of shortly.

Make sure you do the AAMC tests too. I have found that the Kaplan course tests' curve is more generous that the AAMC. Also, the Bio section from Kaplan has more informational passages, but the real MCAT has more experimental passages that require you to analyze the data. Other than that, I think you're doing great and no matter what kind of test prep you get, they'll all help (and none can mimic the real MCAT).

Last edited: