Realistically, What do you think you scored on the AUG MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneStrongBro

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although we would all like a 40 on the MCAT, many of us will probably have a general idea on what our score will be based on AAMC practice tests.

With that said, and considering how you felt after the exam on Aug 17. what do you think you scored?

I'm feeling a 33. 9 verbal, 13 PS, and 11 BS.

It should be interesting once you get your score, how close you are to your prediction.

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone..

keep your heads up. You did the best you could, and now you should just wait....if you didnt score what you know you are able to score, then retake it April 2003....take a break, then start hitting the books hard in january....if you can afford it, take a review course, if not, then don't....Just do your best that you can..that's all you can ask for.....

Guess who's back!!!

Fellas, I think it is my duty to clarify some views that I hold about the MCAT.

First of all, I have no vested interest whether you believe my theory or not. You are entitled to your opinion. I would just like a logical forum to discuss some of my premises. Your feedback is welcome. However, I will not respond to you, IF YOU START EXPRESSING an EMOTIONAL argument. MUDD KNOWS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

As many of you know, I am a very analytical person that loves to solve puzzles. I have taken the MCAT. 13's on BS and PS. I have also taught an MCAT class.

With that said, here we go.

I believe that the MCAT has an experimental section. This is how I have come to this conclusion.

1. I snooped the MCAT website to find information about the
MCAT. I found this link.
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/research/gsrp/kmmono2.pdf
This link is a promotion for new students to join a gsrp research program. If you open up the sample GSRP(you need adobe acrobat). YOu will find the goal of one of the projects is to compare MCAT scores from 2 different years(i.e. to test long term reliability). If you look at the number of questions on the 1997 and 1993. IT SPECIFIES THE NUMBER OF GRADED QUESTIONS as 55 FOR VERBAL AND 63 FROM PS AND BS.

2. I called up the MCAT office. I asked them whether the experimental section was graded (kudos if you see the INTENDED assumption). The gatekeeper asked the supervisor. And, then told me NO. The experimental section was not graded. I asked him than you are saying that there is INDEED an experimental section. He said he was not at liberty to talk about the MCAT.

3. 65-10=55, Thus it would fit perfectly if a 10 question experimental section was NOT GRADED. This would fit the GSRP research quota of ONLY 55 Graded questions on verbal.

4. I took the Aug 2000 MCAT. AAMC practice test 6 is the exact exam that I took. Although, I can't verify all 65 questions since it was two years ago, however, all of the passages are in the same order, and some of the questions, I do remember. One of the reasons I remember is the frankenstein and the invisible hand passages handcuffed me. Also, the ps and bs were the same.
This is where I got the theory that old AAMC exams are actual exams. I have also heard that AAMC 5 was given in 1998.

5. Simple logic. 65 questions divided by 9 passages. That is about 7 questions/passage. If the questions are selected randomly at best you would get 6, 7, or 8 questions per passage. This is exactly how many questions you get for ALL KAPLAN AND TPR practice tests. However, AAMC has couple 10 question passages on the real mcat and the practice exams. BUT NO PASSAGES HAVE 9 QUESTIONS. Furthermore, NO TPR OR KAPLAN TEST HAS 10 QUESTIONS PER PASSAGE. NONE!!! This implies that the 10 question passage was a goal of the test writer.

6. Reliablity. I agree with SHAM, that all questions are written to be tested. However, all test writers KNOW that they have an inherent bias on whether a test question is easy or hard. The only way to be fair is to FIELD TEST potential questions. This will allow a test writer to receive a feedback on questions ideal for the MCAT. For example, an ideal "hard" question on the MCAT is a question only the students that scored 12, 13, 14, or 15 got correctly. If a student with a 12, 13, 14, or 15 got this question wrong too, than it is not a good question to ask. All multiple choice exams give out a stastical feedback to the instructor. Hard questions are judged as fair or unfair. Fair hard questions are answered correctly by the students with the highest scores. Unfair hard questions have a random correct distribution.

7. The 10 question MCAT passages on the practice tests have the highest variability. The Confucious passage on 3, the brand awareness on 5, the picasso passage on 6. The experimental passages are NOT HARD PER SE. But have a nice easy to hard spectrum. Notice on AAMC 6, the last verbal passage about icebergs is actually the HARDEST PASSAGE. However, it doesn't have a good distribution(i.e. variability).

8. Actual MCAT on test day seems more difficult. Some of it is psychological. However, another part of it is that some of the difficult experiemental questions are not graded. It is human nature to focus on one's mistakes. Thus, when we walk out of the test room. We focus on the hard questions we missed. This snowballs into thinking the exam was hard.

9. Although I didn't recheck. I do believe by extrapolation that 2 BS and PS sections are experimental. I believe that 2 experimental science passages have 6 questions. 77-12= 65. And I think 2 free response questions are experimental 65-2=63.

10. Lastly, as some of you guys know. Some of the forms are very close to one another. For example EK and EG, from aug 2002. Check out www.examkrackers.com. I believe the only difference between these two forms are the experimental sections. Thus, students with different forms feel like they had the same form. This would also apply to the other forms.

This is all i can think for now, but I will add some more later.

One more thing. If you are looking for indisputable confirmation about the experimental section on the MCAT from the MCAT people, you will not get it. It is in the best interest of an experimental test to NOT be thought of as one with an experimental section.

Whoa, Chandler! Where am I? What just happened? Did you say you are in research?

Can I read that passage again? I would like to believe what you are saying, and your footwork is impressive. I excuse my feeble brain power to still recovering from the exam and gearing up to have to start studying again soon. I guess I don't know what to think anymore, and will just keep an open mind; try and be like Buddha and do some Zen stuff. ;) :love: Peace, man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have another comment. If you look at the last page of the AAMC practice test VI (paper form) you will notice that the passages are fairly recent. Some are as recent as 1999. This PROVES that new passages are ADDED. How often? Who knows? Also, on the REAL MCAT, the bibliography of the sources are on the last page of the verbal exam. You can see what books or journals are used to make the MCAT.

For example, when I took the verbal exam. I looked at the last page to get the title of each passage. The title is helpful if you are trying to deduce the main idea.

One last thing. If there is indeed an experimental section, it wouldn't make sense to put a 10 question passage on slot 8 or 9. Believe or not test takers know that most students will run out of time. It would be fruitless to put an experimental section for the end. Remember to maximize an experimental section, it is ideal if all test takers TRY to take that passage. Therefore, I propose that all experimental sections are in slot 4, 5, or 6. This means that ONE COULD logicaly PREDICT the experimental section. Also, you wouldn't want to put a 10 question passage on slot 1,2, or 3 because these passages are too soon to MAXIMIZE a student's concentration. Here is an exercise. Go over AAMC 3,4,5, and 6. Try to spot where the 10 question passage is located. TRY THIS ON THE REAL MCAT!!

I have to disagree slightly with some of the above posts...

Right after the August 02 MCAT recently I saw several posts here about experimental passages. I already knew there would be some, so that was fine by me. But then I read that, at least for Verbal, it is usually 10 questions. I have to disagree with this. Think about it, if it were always 10 questions, we would all skip it and use our time more wisely. I am no expert, but why would you give an experimental passage that is so easy to spot? Including such passages is obviously important to AAMC, but I think they'd want to confuse us as to which one it is. It just doesn't make sense that you could pick it based on the number of questions.

Also, some have mentioned Picasso and Confucius passages from early AAMC as experimental passages. These were really, really hard passages. However, on my Aug test, there was no passage that was quite that hard. The 10 ? passage for me was about environmental pollution from some type of sulfides (I had form FG). And yes, I attempted it and felt good about my responses. Plus, AAMC 6's toughest passage was on Ice Ages, which had less than 10 ?'s. Hence there seems to be no rhyme or reason for a correlation between the hardest passage, # of ?'s, and which one is experimental.

My point, I don't think you can predict which passages are experimental. You can have confidence that they exist, and hope they're the ones you messed up on, but it's just gonna be a matter of hope. I even called EK about this, and J Orsay agreed you can't pick the verbal exper passage based on the number of questions.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I needed to clarify...

Franklin,

you are entitled to your opinion. However, I MUST REMIND YOU that my argument is that the experimental passage has the largest cross section of easy to hard. I DID NOT SAY THE EXPERIMENTAL SECTION IS THE HARDEST!!! In fact, easy questions have to be field tested as well!!

As for the 10 question experimental passage. Have you ever seen a 4 question passage? Or a 5 question passage? NO!!

The only way to go from 65 to 55 is a 10 question passage.
Also, explain to me why NO KAPLAN OR TPR EXAMS HAVE A 10 QUESTION PASSAGE?

For the record, YOU HAD TWO 10 QUESTION PASSAGE ON THE MCAT!!

NO ONE IS DUMB ENOUGH TO SKIP TWO 1O QUESTION PASSAGES.

One more thing, if you don't believe there is an experimental section(i.e 99% of the MCATers). You would make sure you answer the 10 question passage(rather than a 6 question passage). Because this is the passage with the most number of questions. Also, if one is running out of time on the verbal section, and has two passages to choose from. It would be MORE LOGICAL to read the passage with the more # of questions.

Therefore, a 6 question passage is less likely to be a experimental passage.

Originally posted by chandler742
Guess who's back!!!

7. The 10 question MCAT passages on the practice tests have the highest variability. The Confucious passage on 3, the brand awareness on 5, the picasso passage on 6. The experimental passages are NOT HARD PER SE. But have a nice easy to hard spectrum. Notice on AAMC 6, the last verbal passage about icebergs is actually the HARDEST PASSAGE. However, it doesn't have a good distribution(i.e. variability).

Look at my point 7

As for J.Orsay. Although one might consider him an authority on the MCAT. Just remember, he makes money if he enrolls more students for Examkrackers. I have no vested interest. Also, even J.Orsay will admit at one time, he did not believe an experimental section existed. So, how can he irrefutably doubt that an experimental section CANNOT be predicted.

What Orsay meant is that with the information that he has available, he does not think an experimental section can be predicted. Trust me, if you challenge him with this statement he will agree. He will not "fall" into his own logic trap. Orsay is a capitalist, nothing more, nothing less.

relax buddy

No need to reply with all caps, I/we can read either way. I was trying to let people know that they shouldn't think a 10 question passage is the experimental one and skip it. I'm trying to help other people, whether they think I am right or not doesn't matter. I'm not going to argue with you though....my opinion is that you can't predict which one is experimental. That's all...

I called MCAT today, and they said tomorrow is the likely date(worse case scenario is FRIDAY MORNING). Furthermore, it will be up on the website sometime between 9 to 5:30 CDT.

I hope that helps.

One last chance to make a prediction on your MCAT SCORES!!!

I am not JOKING!! I got the score that I predicted. Unfortunately, my score in 2000 was 7, 11, 13.

Just checked tonight, I got a 9 Verbal, 13 PS, and 11 BS. So I went down two points in BS(ouch). Still, I knew it when I walked out of the test center.

Originally posted by OneStrongBro
Although we would all like a 40 on the MCAT, many of us will probably have a general idea on what our score will be based on AAMC practice tests.

With that said, and considering how you felt after the exam on Aug 17. what do you think you scored?

I'm feeling a 33. 9 verbal, 13 PS, and 11 BS.

It should be interesting once you get your score, how close you are to your prediction.