MD & DO REALITY CHECK: 3.78; MCAT TBD; Small Kingdom of red flags (e.g. 7 W's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sat0ri

Everything we see hides another
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DON'T QUOTE: I was considering making this anonymous, and I would like the ability to change my mind if I do need to make this private, as some of this is rather identifying.

I have a few red flags that are what I think small/negligible, but I'm worried they might coalesce into an overall impression that my app is a serious concern--and I'm familiar with how little it takes to give your app a bad taste and therefore a reason to chose one of the other thousand applicants. I just want to get a reality check, and to maybe see if I might actually need to pursue to alternative careers as a safety.

I didn't want to do a full WAMC thread, but I will give some background to obviate any preliminary questions. I will have to take a 1 1/2 gap year due to MCAT date, but given my most recent gaffe, I'm thinking this will be a long amount of time to invest given that I've made my app so risky in an admissions process that is already a 'crap shoot'.
General Background
  • Applying 2015
  • Overall GPA, 3.78 (cum. and sci.)
  • Biochemistry (chemistry major); Neuroscience (a track in psych major); Philosophy minor
  • Upper-division (at the "best" state university in home state) 3.91 (used to be 3.96, taking 19cr.hrs.; then I recieved a B after a W in the class, see below)
    Graduate Dec 2014 (only one class remaining to be taken)
  • MCAT: TBD, testing in Jan 2015, studying currently (I'm shooting very high)
  • Research:
    • 2 (will be 3) years Behavioral Neurosci.; Made plans with PI to publish (Likely 2nd author, possibly first, depending on the novelty of my contribution in writing); Honors thesis
    • 1 year Organic Synthesis; 1 manuscript (3-4 author??) finalizing for submission; another in progress (likely higher authorship (2-3 author); Less likely but possible third paper; Honors thesis
    • 1 summer internship (2014) of neurosci./stem cell research. Possibly co-authorship, TBD
    • Planing on publishing first author in cognitive/physiological psychology in a self (and peer) designed study as part of class. The professor was very nice and encouraging in my ambition to publish the research
    • Fingers crossed for a paid research position in neurochemistry for gap year and half.
  • A few leadership positions (VP's for a year or less); Really hoping to start my own special interest club upcoming semester (a veg/an club)
  • Clinical/Volunteer: Some shadowing (improving); 75hr at Hospital one semester; Will be year and a half at both hospice and free clinic (very hands on, very meaningful so far); A common theme of working with disabled inviduals throughout app--with bestbuddies for 3, to be 4 years. Some randome clubbage and volunteering. Worked as a serves in 'nice' restaurant while in CC, surprisingly impactful.
  • No significant awards or scholarships at university (Deans of course, PTK; AED and another one, I can't remember, but they both were supposedly given to top 15 and 10% of class). I'll be applying for a few others. At community college, I received outstanding student in humanities and in the sciences on two separate years. Service award
Red Flags
  • I took a W biophysical chem (the hardest in the chemistry major), only received a B on second attempt, this semester. This is the only one W I've got a university, and it was otherwise 3.5 years since I've taken a W with a 3.95 GPA in the next 90 credit hours taking 19cr/semester.
  • I have 7 W's from community college (One in Calc 1; the rest in Art history, print making, singing, etc). Once I found out about medicine I did very well from there out.
  • Many pre-reqs taken at CC; baring biophyical chem, I've done well at Uni.
  • 4 years in CC (also, if I take another year and a half off, this will mean I spent 4 years at university too, which I'm worried could be read as problem behavior).
  • I received a DWAL .02 violation (which means I was driving with above a .02 when a minor, I was 17). Then received another charge when I was 18 (not DUI or DWAL), almost 19. Clean ever since I will be 24/25 (summer birthday) at time of application. When I look myself up at the Clerk of Courts, it looks much less severe. I'm not sure if it was because I was so young, but I really don't know what med schools might see.
  • Brief explanations: Town was drug infested (literally ranked 2 in nation when I was in HS); Parents both work at walmart (Mom has clinical mental problems and Dad has gambling problem; has to this day taken money out of my debit card to gamble with). Was always that troubled gifted kid (at least teachers would say things like this), and I'm not sure if I regret it at this point because I did meet some cool friends, find art/literature/music, and got in to some cool philosophy (postmodernism due to a great teacher I had at community). Don't see any of this as an excuse, just giving an explanation.
  • Also, my volunteering is a bit broken up, because of transferring

The thing is, I really am passionate about medicine, hence the willingness to take time off to improve my app. I'm literally the type that would be a doctor if I was paid minimum wage. I'm very altruistic (I assert at least, for what it's worth; I'm vegan, recycle religously, etc etc, all sorts of stuff that won't show up on an app). However, I know that taking time off for improvement is raises the stakes, because if I don't get in, that was time I really should have been making better plans.

I really don't know where I stand: I spent so much of my upper-division undergrad preparing as if I was headed for top 20 (research and leadership), but I have ruled out DO either--low-tier DO to Harvard might indicated about how neurotic and uncertain I feel in all this.

I've seen this community give thoughtful comments before, and I would greatly appreciate everyone's/anyone's help! This site is like my advisor, just a bit more informed sometimes (at the cost of being inexplicably racists/sexists at times, haha)!

EDIT: horrendous typos/spelling--it was a late night post!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nothing? I'm at a really pivotal point and I really could use some help. Given my circumstance, I'm really lost. Idk if I should be shooting for DO, Ivy, or a new career path.
>>bump<<

Truthfully, it's hard to say where you should aim without an MCAT score. Your grades and research are excellent, and you have a very compelling back-story. But as you say, there is some element of risk. Not more than I would be willing to take, but then, it's not me you have to impress...

I'd suggest studying your tail off for the MCAT, then applying to a broad mix of MD schools. I don't think you have to 'downgrade' your school list because of your 'red flags' and may have a shot at 'above your LizzyM' schools due to your back-story and research.

Good Luck --

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly. Depending on your MCAT I would shoot for mid tier MD schools based on your stats. Those charges are definitely not going to look good on your application so be prepared if you don't get into any schools at all.

Your app besides your unknown mcat seems strong. As far as the flags, the one W I think will be fine given a half-decent explanation, getting a B on retake isn't killer either, you aren't expected to always have gotten a perfect A to get into med school. The CC W's you could probably explain around if they happened a long time ago, you reinvented yourself and moved on to show you can succeed. The legal troubles are thankfully in the past and I don't think they will equate to autorejects at many schools (although it is something that will be a challenge, and will need to be explained on secondaries/at interviews) since it was a good time ago and you've seemed to reinvent, you may want to look into your ability to expunge the records though depending on your local laws and what not.

Thank you @DokterMom @Tariqd @lmn -- that was the right amount of cautious optimism tempered with sober warnings.

I read tons of these WAMC's, and never like when these are posted without MCAT scores (because I know how incredibly pivotal that can be), but I think I'm an exception because I'm mostly trying to figure out how my red flags will be viewed, and the other information is just contextualizing background. So, can any AdCom's wiegh in (@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM @Catalystik )? I'm concerned with statements like "so be prepared if you don't get into any schools at all." (@Tariqd ), and I'm literally trying to figure out if and how I should prepare for this. I will be taking 2 gap years, which is a risky investment considering how capricious things can be, so I need to decide how to plan.

This should not be an issue, especially with the exemplary UG performance
I took a W biophysical chem (the hardest in the chemistry major), only received a B on second attempt, this semester. This is the only one W I've got a university, and it was otherwise 3.5 years since I've taken a W with a 3.95 GPA in the next 90 credit hours taking 19cr/semester.
I have 7 W's from community college . Once I found out about medicine I did very well from there out.

Not necessarily
4 years in CC (also, if I take another year and a half off, this will mean I spent 4 years at university too, which I'm worried could be read as problem behavior).

Given that these were long ago enough, I think that they can be forgiven.
I received a DWAL .02 violation (which means I was driving with above a .02 when a minor, I was 17). Then received another charge when I was 18 (not DUI or DWAL), almost 19. Clean ever since I will be 24/25

Don't use these to explain your poor choices. It comes off as excuse making. Rather, save them for secondaries as to show how for you've come and what you've overcome, which is the key to the story. Rather compelling, your story is.

Brief explanations: Town was drug infested...

Not an issue
Also, my volunteering is a bit broken up, because of transferring
If I may be a little blunt, EVERYONE is passionate about medicine. the key is proving that you're worthy and can handle medcial school. I feel you have done this.

The thing is, I really am passionate about medicine, hence the willingness to take time off to improve my app. I'm literally the type that would be a doctor if I was paid minimum wage. I'm very altruistic (I assert at least, for what it's worth; I'm vegan, recycle religously, etc etc, all sorts of stuff that won't show up on an app). However, I know that taking time off for improvement is raises the stakes, because if I don't get in, that was time I really should have been making better plans.

From what I see, medium-high tier, depending upon your MCAT score. Please come back and tell us how you do, and then we can direct you further. Good luck!
I really don't know where I stand: I spent so much of my upper-division undergrad preparing as if I was headed for top 20 (research and leadership), but I have ruled out DO either--low-tier DO to Harvard might indicated about how neurotic and uncertain I feel in all this.

Reactions: 1 users
Come back when you have an MCAT score. You aren't applying until Summer 2015 anyway, correct? Next March we can give you a list of schools well in advance of application day.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much, Sages of SDN!
@Goro Thank you especially, for such a well considered answer. I definitely feel more reassured now, knowing that you went through the details. It was incredibly helpful (though I know my work isn't over yet by any means) on so many fronts.
@LizzyM Trust me--I'm not a SDN neophyte! I always hate WAMC's without MCAT. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't dead in the water beforehand (for instance, if I was, I should probably be studying the GRE instead). I'm going to surmise though, that I'm not dead in the water given that you suggested taking it. Yes, I will be applying 2015, and graduating December 2014 (so a year and a half out of school). Thank you though. Your comments are always very cool and calculated--and you didn't disappoint!

Now of course, I just need to get a MCAT score to complete my picture.

"I received a DWAL .02 violation"

I know hindsight is 20/20, but a .02 BAC would have certainly been within the margin of error of whatever breathalyzer was used and could've been contested in court, even w/o a lawyer. Won't help you now, obviously, but perhaps someone reading this may have to consider it someday (hopefully not).

As I understand it, there is a world of difference between a DWAI and a DUI for medical schools.

Like you, I have a "stupid-mistake-when-I-was-younger" alcohol-related charge on my record. Everyone I've talked to about it - including a former Adcom - said it'll be a non-issue. Good luck.

"I received a DWAL .02 violation"

I know hindsight is 20/20, but a .02 BAC would have certainly been within the margin of error of whatever breathalyzer was used and could've been contested in court, even w/o a lawyer. Won't help you now, obviously, but perhaps someone reading this may have to consider it someday (hopefully not).

As I understand it, there is a world of difference between a DWAI and a DUI for medical schools.

Like you, I have a "stupid-mistake-when-I-was-younger" alcohol-related charge on my record. Everyone I've talked to about it - including a former Adcom - said it'll be a non-issue. Good luck.
I feel that in general, so many of my problems were due to lack of information--how to approach college and school in general. My personal plan, is though I can't change my past, maybe I can help steer someone clear of this and provide the information I gained the hard way. I guess, as you said, a lot of what this site is is just that--hoping someone can learn from this.