Reality of failed predents, premeds, etc.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

I was just curious, do any of you pre dents know of any failed predents, meds, pharmacists, etc. that were not able to get into grad school?

I mean, what happens if you know its over after applying for like three cycles? How do you get a job with your degree? If you're a bio major, do you just go into researching for like 50 k a year? More schooling? Thats tough

Members don't see this ad.

People go back to school or switch to a different paths. Med students --> Dental Students --> Pharmacy students --> Nursing Students, etc. Generally from the people I know, they work and keep on applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
People go back to school or switch to a different paths. Med students --> Dental Students --> Pharmacy students --> Nursing Students, etc. Generally from the people I know, they work and keep on applying.
So since medstudents who didn't get into med schools switch to predental track, does that mean med school application process is indeed more challenging? (I'm actually sincerely asking this...)

I don't agree with this. I've debated between medical and dental at one point, but I wouldn't try another health profession just because I couldn't get into dental school. This implies people just want to be doctors; or pharmacists or nurses (I'm still not sure why anyone would want to be either of these). If I couldn't get into dental school, I would pursue my own passions: biomedical engineering, environmental chemistry, entrepeneurship, or gastronomy. Or take the fastest route and teach.

Reactions: 1 user
50k a year for research? Even that's being optimistic.......

Reactions: 3 users
50k a year for research? Even that's being optimistic.......

Seriously? Man, its hard scary to figure out what to do as a Bio major if you don't get into the health field... :scared:

I honestly wish I didn't major in Bio because if I never get into some sort of health care career then I'll have to live like a college student for a very long time. I understand that not everyone gets accepted into med/dental/pharmacy school but I really wonder what happens to those who don't make it. Its a scary reality after all of those hours and money spent on school, testing and applications.

Seriously? Man, its hard scary to figure out what to do as a Bio major if you don't get into the health field... :scared:

I honestly wish I didn't major in Bio because if I never get into some sort of health care career then I'll have to live like a college student for a very long time. I understand that not everyone gets accepted into med/dental/pharmacy school but I really wonder what happens to those who don't make it. Its a scary reality after all of those hours and money spent on school, testing and applications.

I was a neuro major and have been doing research for the 3 or 4 years since I graduated......I hate to be so negative about it but even if you decide to do research with your undergrad, its extremely competitive and once you get in it doesnt pay very well. On the flip side I have a massive desk with a view of the Rockies and loads of vacation. Its just the fate of bio science majors though, there's not much work for a BS degree in your field if you don't get into a graduate program. That's why so many of my friends now work in completely unrelated fields.

I love science and wouldn't have had it any other way when I decided to major in the sciences. But, I knew I wanted to go to dental school. I used the poor job prospects of a science degree to motivate me to do well enough to get into dental school. And lookie~ I'm here now. :p

As for the original topic - I have a friend who is applying to med school for the 3rd time now, but she also plans on applying to pharmacy school at the same time (why she "skipped" dental, I'll never know :p). No grad school for her as she dislikes research. From what I can see, people who generally can't get into the more competitive professions (MD > DDS > PharmD > DO > Nursing/Pod/Opt; throw PA somewhere in there, list up for debate) but are so adamant about entering the healthcare field move down the line until they can get into a program they like.

If all else fails, perhaps law school or the Caribbean (both bad decisions, in my opinion)?

I have a friend who is applying to med school for the 3rd time now, but she also plans on applying to pharmacy school at the same time (why she "skipped" dental, I'll never know :p).
Because some people don't like working with teeth?

I love science and wouldn't have had it any other way when I decided to major in the sciences. But, I knew I wanted to go to dental school. I used the poor job prospects of a science degree to motivate me to do well enough to get into dental school. And lookie~ I'm here now. :p

As for the original topic - I have a friend who is applying to med school for the 3rd time now, but she also plans on applying to pharmacy school at the same time (why she "skipped" dental, I'll never know :p). No grad school for her as she dislikes research. From what I can see, people who generally can't get into the more competitive professions (MD > DDS > PharmD > DO > Nursing/Pod/Opt; throw PA somewhere in there, list up for debate) but are so adamant about entering the healthcare field move down the line until they can get into a program they like.

If all else fails, perhaps law school or the Caribbean (both bad decisions, in my opinion)?

I guess this makes me feel a bit more optimistic, but I would really be disappointed if it came down to nursing because all of the undergraduate science classes I took would be for naught (pre nursing takes difference science classes).

I don't agree with this. I've debated between medical and dental at one point, but I wouldn't try another health profession just because I couldn't get into dental school. This implies people just want to be doctors; or pharmacists or nurses (I'm still not sure why anyone would want to be either of these). If I couldn't get into dental school, I would pursue my own passions: biomedical engineering, environmental chemistry, entrepeneurship, or gastronomy. Or take the fastest route and teach.
Just because you don't agree with it or you don't do it yourself doesn't mean other people don't. Imagine reapplying 3+ cycles. That's a long time and people's goals and ambitions change, and they feel bummed. Not everyone can bounce back or keep the same determination, that's the reality of it. When you have loans and interests accumulating, you can't afford to sit around and wait for another cycle, so people apply to a different (supposedly easier) route.
And why not change into those route? It's essentially the same general application, more or less. You would've fulfilled all the pre-reqs already so it's a lot easier to switch between healthcare paths, rather than doing something completely different like engineering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each person's circumstance is different. My dentist started with a nursing degree. Applied to medical and dental school at the same time. Got accepted into med school, but rejected into dental school. Turned down med school and was accepted into dental school on the second cycle. Guess he really wanted to be a dentist...

Just because you don't agree with it or you don't do it yourself doesn't mean other people don't. Imagine reapplying 3+ cycles. That's a long time and people's goals and ambitions change, and they feel bummed. Not everyone can bounce back or keep the same determination, that's the reality of it. When you have loans and interests accumulating, you can't afford to sit around and wait for another cycle, so people apply to a different (supposedly easier) route.
And why not change into those route? It's essentially the same general application, more or less. You would've fulfilled all the pre-reqs already so it's a lot easier to switch between healthcare paths, rather than doing something completely different like engineering.

I'm not saying people don't do it. What I disagree with is your pathway. It's too definitive. You make it seem like dentistry is some fallback for med school wannabes. I believe if you didn't have what they were looking for in medicine, you still don't in dentistry unless you made drastic changes.

Reactions: 1 users

Haha um, it should be more like MD > DO > DDs ....

I agree. Even though DO/DDS may be comparable, there is no way DO is below PharmD. That's craziness.

I always said if I didn't get in after 2 cycles I would go to school for dental hygiene. You make pretty good money for an associates degree and it's still dental related.

Luckily, I never had to resort to that.

I'm not saying people don't do it. What I disagree with is your pathway. It's too definitive. You make it seem like dentistry is some fallback for med school wannabes. I believe if you didn't have what they were looking for in medicine, you still don't in dentistry unless you made drastic changes.
It's a general statement that people tend to fall back onto what they consider "easier". I don't necessarily mean that all failed pre-meds go to pre-dentistry. For all I care, they can go to pre-pharm, pre-nursing, etc. There is no definitive way people change their paths.

SERIOUSLY haha 50k? sign me up!!!
After I graduated I couldn't even get a research job cleaning beakers $10 an hour. It was extremely competitive.... I ended up working in a non science field haha figures..

I agree. Even though DO/DDS may be comparable, there is no way DO is below PharmD. That's craziness.

It was just a personal opinion, but I made it as such because DO allows for grade replacement. You can't screw up your first year in undergrad and have too high hopes of getting into DDS or Pharm (talking sub-3.0 cumulative). At least you can retake the classes for DO and AACOMAS will take your most recent grade.

LOL at PharmD being more competitive than DO school.

Anyone with a pulse nowadays can get into Pharmacy school.

C'mon now, no need to LECOM it and talk trash on PharmD students. "Anyone with a pulse" sounds pretty insulting, give the people who get in some credit. If all I needed was a pulse to be a pharmacist. I'd be all over that.

It was just a personal opinion, but I made it as such because DO allows for grade replacement. You can't screw up your first year in undergrad and have too high hopes of getting into DDS or Pharm (talking sub-3.0 cumulative). At least you can retake the classes for DO and AACOMAS will take your most recent grade.

That is fine. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Dentists and Pharmacists. They are crucial in healthcare. We should all work together and help each other. Peace be with you my friend.

edit cuz actually idc

Last edited:
There are 'plan Bs and Cs' for all of these. A lot of pharmacy technicians originally wanted to be pharmacists before realizing they'd never get an acceptance with a 3.3 gpa (Canada).

Re 'anyone with a pulse...' - I will say I am astounded at how low avg gpas are for pharmacy schools in the U.S. The average gpa at acceptance for my year in pharmacy school was 3.7. I realize that opens an entirely different can of worms re comparison of systems - not my intention. Just commenting.

Last edited:
My personal ranking system seemed to have generated some opposing opinions, which is totally fine. I can see why people would say DO is more competitive than Pharm (more applicants, only around 30 schools), but c'mon, give Pharm students some credit. I browsed around and the average GPA for accepted students seems to be around 3.5 (more or less depending on the school). They ain't in the Caribbean.

I was just curious, do any of you pre dents know of any failed predents, meds, pharmacists, etc. that were not able to get into grad school?

I mean, what happens if you know its over after applying for like three cycles? How do you get a job with your degree? If you're a bio major, do you just go into researching for like 50 k a year? More schooling? Thats tough

Try for a 4th time. Take graduate courses, improve DAT, do research and do whatever else you can to better your app. An extra year (or 2 or 3 or 4) working to get accepted is nothing to what youll lose if you quit and settle for less than what you aspired for. In the long run, whats a few years compared to being a practicing dentist for 30 or so years.

Though if you absolutely have to for whatever reason then you should go to a trade school. Absolutely do not go back to undergrad or waste money on a masters or phd. All that is bunk.

Try for a 4th time. Take graduate courses, improve DAT, do research and do whatever else you can to better your app. An extra year (or 2 or 3 or 4) working to get accepted is nothing to what youll lose if you quit and settle for less than what you aspired for. In the long run, whats a few years compared to being a practicing dentist for 30 or so years.

Though if you absolutely have to for whatever reason then you should go to a trade school. Absolutely do not go back to undergrad or waste money on a masters or phd. All that is bunk.

Why do you suggest a trade school over a postbach or masters?

Why do you suggest a trade school over a postbach or masters?
Most degrees hold little real world value, job opportunities are limited, even in some STEM fields. Its like a bad joke people with bachelors/masters/phds/etc unable to find work with their degrees and the lucky ones that do arent much better off. This is such a common occurrence that the college graduate who works at starbucks has become a cliche.

Trade school offers a plethora of lucrative opportunities nationwide (and worldwide) b/c demand for tradesmen is far greater than the supply. Great upward mobility as you become more skilled and better job security b/c they are essential to society. Do your research if youre ambitious, find a niche in great demand that's severely shorthanded then go to a community college or an inexpensive trade school for an year or 2 to study that trade. You could find more success as a tradesman then many do as dentists.

Most degrees hold little real world value, job opportunities are limited, even in some STEM fields. Its like a bad joke people with bachelors/masters/phds/etc unable to find work with their degrees and the lucky ones that do arent much better off. This is such a common occurrence that the college graduate who works at starbucks has become a cliche.

Trade school offers a plethora of lucrative opportunities nationwide (and worldwide) b/c demand for tradesmen is far greater than the supply. Great upward mobility as you become more skilled and better job security b/c they are essential to society. Do your research if youre ambitious, find a niche in great demand that's severely shorthanded then go to a community college or an inexpensive trade school for an year or 2 to study that trade. You could find more success as a tradesman then many do as dentists.

He's 100 percent right. I work for a big research center, we're hiring for a 30k a year lab assistant job and have gotten applications from: 4 PhD's, 1 neurosurgeon, and 1 software developer. There's nothing for masters/PhD's. It sucks that these people need to work a super entry level job just to get by.

4 PhD's, 1 neurosurgeon, and 1 software developer...
Software developers/software engineers are in great demand for the next 20 years. I hardly believe any of them has trouble finding a job... And NEUROSURGEON, really? Man, I imagine that neurosurgeon must have been tired of Medicine and wanted to switch careers...

Software developers/software engineers are in great demand for the next 20 years. I hardly believe any of them has trouble finding a job... And NEUROSURGEON, really? Man, I imagine that neurosurgeon must have been tired of Medicine and wanted to switch careers...

I know quite a few neurosurgery residents who quit due to extreme levels of stress to work at coffee shops, clothing stores, etc.

Try international software developers who need something to hold down a work visa.......even with a high demand job you're not just going to walk outside and get hired, people forget that, that's why so many college grads assume they're going to get 60k a year handed to them the day they graduate and yet are working at Starbucks. It's a tough time for jobs.

I applied to over 1000 research jobs after I graduated and only got 5 interviews, which did not land me any jobs because I did not have enough experience and there were hundreds of other applicants. These jobs would have only paid $30k. I think the recession is over now but I heard it's still very competitive.

This is why if you are going into a science field, you got to make sure you have a good GPA so that you can advance your career. These days you can't expect to get out of college and easily land a $60k job. Might as well major in engineering.

I'm just starting prerequisites this year to apply to dental school, but I have bachelor and master degrees in business. I really have an interest in law also. I think I'd go into consulting. I might consider law school although I'm not sure that is the best financial decision.

I'm not even going to think of those options though because I'm on a mission to get accepted. Realistically I guess it is always a good idea to have a Plan B, but I usually only come up with the Plan B when it becomes necessary. If I focus too much time thinking of a Plan B, I can never fully commit to Plan A. Good luck to you in whatever you decide!

Chiming in, I have a BS in bio. 50k in research is very optimistic. I applied to a few lab tech positions for research, and they were each ~30k a year and competition was stiff. You're competing against people with Master's and even some with PhDs. I gave up and started working with a temp agency that placed me at a corporate toxicology lab, and I now work as a chemist. It's mostly tech work, but you have some opportunities to work your way up the ladder to more interesting work. It's not an easy job, and it's production-based. But pay is pretty good. It's been close to 3 years since I graduated, and I'm trying to go back to school in hopes of someday working for myself. Working for a large company and all the bull that entails wears you out pretty quickly.

I started out as pre-med in undergrad, but I made the switch because of the experiences I had working at a hospital while in undergrad. I vastly preferred the outpatient setting to the inpatient, and I couldn't stomach some of the stuff I saw. If I don't get into a dental school after a few (2, maybe 3) attempts, I'll probably jump ship on healthcare since medicine (MD/DO/PA/nursing) doesn't appeal to me and neither does pharm or optometry.

embrace the all or none principle if you're going to be pre anything. either you put in near 100% of your effort or don't plan on ever getting a decent career. you can easily spot the person who's not gonna get in. they talk a ton in class, they don't pay attention and they're definitely not interested in whatever they're studying. just act the part and depending on that role you'll probably do well or spend a couple years wandering the wilderness before reaching camp.