This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imlosinit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone
Call me neurotic but I'm really worried about my GPA and how my courses this semester are going to play out. I currently have a 3.85 cummulative with a 3.93 Science GPA. I think I am going to end up with 3 As in my classes but I am really worried about biochemistry. I just had my first exam and got a C, and will need to score 3 high As on the next three exams to pull an A. I was able to do this in one of my hard science courses but I feel like biochem is a different beast.
Say I get a B+ in biochem, are my chances for top notch schools screwed?
Thanks

P.S. I know this looks like I'm crazy but I'm just really worried and I know the competition out there.
"Top notch schools" ... there's a fire starter... But, seriously, you'll be fine. Crush the MCAT and do some meaningful things that get you out of bed excited. I'll also add that after all that you can do, the element of luck is a factor.

Reactions: 4 users
"Top notch schools" ... there's a fire starter... But, seriously, you'll be fine. Crush the MCAT and do some meaningful things that get you out of bed excited. I'll also add that after all that you can do, the element of luck is a factor.

Ok, thank you. I have done 3 years of research at a T20 university, vice president of student ran organization at my university, Co-Founder of tech startup based on social, mental, and physical well being and have a couple different personal hobbies that I enjoy like drawing anime and animating what I draw using photoshop and aftereffects. I just hope my work pays off

Members don't see this ad :)
I am unsure of what year of school you are in but it seems that if you are already taking biochem then you've got to be at least a Junior; a B+ in Biochem isn't going to hurt your gpa with the hours that I am assuming that you have.

Like said, kill the MCAT, and all of the doors that you've ever wanted to be open will be opened.

Your MCAT will really determine all of this. That said, you can still be a doctor without going to “top-notch” schools.

My best friend had a similar GPA but only got a 512ish MCAT, only managed to snag an acceptance to a DO school. Still a doctor.

Perspective.

Last edited:
  • Love
Your MCAT will really determine all of this. That said, you can still be a doctor without going to “top-notch” schools.

My best friend had a similar GPA but only got a 512ish MCAT, only managed to snag an acceptance to a DO school. Still a doctor.

Perspective.
Lol top-notch. Still makes me chuckle

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone
Call me neurotic but I'm really worried about my GPA and how my courses this semester are going to play out. I currently have a 3.85 cummulative with a 3.93 Science GPA. I think I am going to end up with 3 As in my classes but I am really worried about biochemistry. I just had my first exam and got a C, and will need to score 3 high As on the next three exams to pull an A. I was able to do this in one of my hard science courses but I feel like biochem is a different beast.
Thanks

P.S. I know this looks like I'm crazy but I'm just really worried and I know the competition out there.
No, it doesn't look like you're crazy. It looks like you're neurotic, which is a prereq to post here, so welcome to SDN! :cool:

Your GPA is sky high, and is in range for any school in the country. Clearly you are very smart -- do the math, what would the impact of a B+, or even B, be on your GPA? Whatever your answer is (based on how many credits you are calculating over), your GPA will still be in range for every school.

Not sure exactly what you consider a "top notch school," but in general they are crazy hard to get into anyway. I have no idea what the rest of your application will look like, but I promise you, having a GPA that is 0.01 lower than if you had an A in biochem is not going to be the reason you don't get into Harvard, if, in fact, you don't get into Harvard.

Last edited:
Is this a troll :p ? I'm pretty sure AAMC notes that schools view anything 3.8+ as relatively the same. As others have said at this level your MCAT will be the determinant since you already passed the GPA box for any school. Just power through biochem and make sure to nail all the pathways and amino acids so you can score high on the MCAT. Usually, biochem's the last "weedout" class perse, so know that this is the last big hurdle and that upper-level courses usually aren't going to annihilate you in regards to curving and the like.

Also, you mentioned you do research at a T20 school, not sure if that implies that you attend, but if you do, you'll probably also get some minor leeway in regards to your GPA...nothing extremely significant but to say that a 3.82 or whatever would shoot you down for top schools is wrong. To calm you down, just know the average GPA for "top notch schools" is usually hovering around 3.88-3.92ish...that means like half of the students probably have below that, and a quarter significantly so.

Hey everyone
Thanks

You could fail the course and still get into a "top notch school"

But what if you only get into Drexel or Miami?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Is this a troll :p ? I'm pretty sure AAMC notes that schools view anything 3.8+ as relatively the same. As others have said at this level your MCAT will be the determinant since you already passed the GPA box for any school. Just power through biochem and make sure to nail all the pathways and amino acids so you can score high on the MCAT. Usually, biochem's the last "weedout" class perse, so know that this is the last big hurdle and that upper-level courses usually aren't going to annihilate you in regards to curving and the like.

Also, you mentioned you do research at a T20 school, not sure if that implies that you attend, but if you do, you'll probably also get some minor leeway in regards to your GPA...nothing extremely significant but to say that a 3.82 or whatever would shoot you down for top schools is wrong. To calm you down, just know the average GPA for "top notch schools" is usually hovering around 3.88-3.92ish...that means like half of the students probably have below that, and a quarter significantly so.

I am note sure this statement above is totally accurate. The AAMC data grid does lump all applicants/matriculants with GPA more than 3.8 in one bracket, and also MCAT more than 517 into one, thus the LizzyM score does not differentiate between a GPA of 3.8 versus gpa of 4.0, or a MCAT score of 519 from 528.. There are about 10,000 applicants every year in that GPA bucket of 3.8-4.0 , about 4500 applicants with MCAT above 517, and about 2500 who meet both criteria. It would be interesting to know the acceptance rates/ interview invitation rates between 3.8 versus 4, and similarly for those with mcat 518 versus 528. This is a major limitation of the lizzym score, due to lack of data within the subgroup gpa 3.8-4, and also has the same limitation for MCAT scores above 519 that there is no change in lizzym score, because of lack of data. Maybe the famous @LizzyM can give her thoughts on this.

It is hard for me to assume that the interview rates for GPA of 3.8 is same as 4.0, just like it is hard to believe the interview invitation rates are the same for MCAT 519 and MCAT 528. There could be a difference, it is just that we dont know that the difference exists.

Reactions: 1 user
I am note sure this statement above is totally accurate. The AAMC data grid does lump all applicants/matriculants with GPA more than 3.8 in one bracket, and also MCAT more than 517 into one, thus the LizzyM score does not differentiate between a GPA of 3.8 versus gpa of 4.0, or a MCAT score of 519 from 528.. There are about 10,000 applicants every year in that GPA bucket of 3.8-4.0 , about 4500 applicants with MCAT above 517, and about 2500 who meet both criteria. It would be interesting to know the acceptance rates/ interview invitation rates between 3.8 versus 4, and similarly for those with mcat 518 versus 528. This is a major limitation of the lizzym score, due to lack of data within the subgroup gpa 3.8-4, and also has the same limitation for MCAT scores above 519 that there is no change in lizzym score, because of lack of data. Maybe the famous @LizzyM can give her thoughts on this.

It is hard for me to assume that the interview rates for GPA of 3.8 is same as 4.0, just like it is hard to believe the interview invitation rates are the same for MCAT 519 and MCAT 528. There could be a difference, it is just that we dont know that the difference exists.
@LizzyM can comment, of course, but on time on the adcom, the difference between 3.8 and 4.0 is minuscule... especially when we're talking about higher level science courses. There are much more important things to consider at that point like MCAT, the PS, etc.

@LizzyM can comment, of course, but on time on the adcom, the difference between 3.8 and 4.0 is minuscule... especially when we're talking about higher level science courses. There are much more important things to consider at that point like MCAT, the PS, etc.

Is there a difference between MCAT 518 and 528 ?

Is there a difference between MCAT 518 and 528 ?

A little bit but not enough to push the 518 off of the interview invitation list if everything else is up to snuff.

I developed the LizzyM score over 10 years ago as a way of comparing one's stats to a medical school's average for matriculants. It was meant as a guide so that someone with a 3.5/30 (old MCAT) didn't apply to the top 25 schools, claim to have applied "broadly" and then bemoaned the fact that they had gotten no interviews when a better targeted application might have gained considerable traction.

I did not make the LizzyM application assistant available on this site. It does lump together the top grades and scores because AAMC does not make data available for a more granular reporting of likelihood of admission by GPA/MCAT.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Well, you're probably right in some regard, but again you need context to every GPA which is why the MCAT is a better determinant past the 3.8 threshold, from what I can understand. At my UG, a T10 notable for pretty rigorous academics, a 3.85+ puts you in the top 15% of premeds per data they give out. I'm sure that value would be skewed much higher at a decent state school. I mean realistically do you think an adcom will look at decent applicant with a 3.83 and not give them an interview because they got a B+ and 2 A-'s freshman year? Or would it be dependent on non-academic factors past that point? Given a high MCAT, let's say 520, what does a 3.95 vs. 3.85 GPA actually signify in regards to admissions? What's the difference? (not rhetorical, I'd like to understand your viewpoint).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you're probably right in some regard, but again you need context to every GPA which is why the MCAT is a better determinant past the 3.8 threshold, from what I can understand. At my UG, a T10 notable for pretty rigorous academics, a 3.85+ puts you in the top 15% of premeds per data they give out. I'm sure that value would be skewed much higher at a decent state school. I mean realistically do you think an adcom will look at decent applicant with a 3.83 and not give them an interview because they got a B+ and 2 A-'s freshman year? Or would it be dependent on non-academic factors past that point? Given a high MCAT, let's say 520, what does a 3.95 vs. 3.85 GPA actually signify in regards to admissions? What's the difference? (not rhetorical, I'd like to understand your viewpoint).

I would think if everything else was equal, a 3.95 is more likely to get interview offer than a 3.85 (maybe by a few percentage points) . Probably wont make any difference at the interview. I have No data, to back that statement.

I would think if everything else was equal, a 3.95 is more likely to get interview offer than a 3.85 (maybe by a few percentage points) . Probably wont make any difference at the interview. I have No data, to back that statement.
Hm, I'm sure you're right, but it's quite a bold assumption that two applicants will ever come across "completely equal" given the fact that you have to submit plenty of essays and have MM's and countless other ways to come across in your application. Maybe if you have a cookie cutter app and are a robot; but then again, the goal is not to :)

A little bit but not enough to push the 518 off of the interview invitation list if everything else is up to snuff.

I developed the LizzyM score over 10 years ago as a way of comparing one's stats to a medical school's average for matriculants. It was meant as a guide so that someone with a 3.5/30 (old MCAT) didn't apply to the top 25 schools, claim to have applied "broadly" and then bemoaned the fact that they had gotten no interviews when a better targeted application might have gained considerable traction.

I did not make the LizzyM application assistant available on this site. It does lump together the top grades and scores because AAMC does not make data available for a more granular reporting of likelihood of admission by GPA/MCAT.

Does this also mean that MCAT really is not a compensatory factor beyond 518? For instance:

3.8 GPA with 518 MCAT (36) = LM 74
3.6 GPA with 522 MCAT (38) = LM 74

Would these candidates not be viewed equivalently under your system?

Does this also mean that MCAT really is not a compensatory factor beyond 518? For instance:

3.8 GPA with 518 MCAT (36) = LM 74
3.6 GPA with 522 MCAT (38) = LM 74

Would these candidates not be viewed equivalently under your system?

Yes, and both would be advised not to limit their applications to Harvard, Hopkins and Stanford.

Reactions: 3 users