Realized Mcat is expiring this cycle, need to apply now. Is my gameplan good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had always thought that Mcat scores can be used for 3 years (MD/DO) but recently became aware that is not entirely true. Depending on the school's policy, to the date vs. matriculation date vs. time to application. Assumed it would be the date you submitted your app since that is when everything is finalized for your app. Regardless, my Mcat from September 2015 may not be accepted next summer to bunch of MD/DO schools, rather than figure out what the policy for every school is, I am giving this cycle a shot. Considering I am about to submit my application now, it seems I may have a better shot at DO over MD matriculation. Relevant details/questions below.

CA, asian, ~3.75 overall, ~3.7 science, 27 (10/7/10) mcat (Jan 2015), and 511 mcat in sept 2015 (130/125/128/128) plus EC's not worth mentioning for this particular post.

I have searched the DO forum already but I'm paranoid and want to be sure I've got this right. With my gpa/mcat I can apply to most DO schools. Will make a school list soon but first I need to submit my application asap. Pre-write secondary's for schools that SDN members posted on the school forums.
My biggest weakness is lacking a DO LoR so fix that while waiting on being verified since LoR's can be submitted after verification (no idea this was even necessary, always knew physician letters were optional but it seems for DO schools they are a necessity. Can anyone link me to a source that shows schools that do not require it so I can maybe apply there asap if I don't have the LoR by that time?)

I feel that's all I can do at this moment. Seems pretty simple, but I get the feeling I might not know something I should.

Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My biggest weakness is lacking a DO LoR so fix that while waiting on being verified since LoR's can be submitted after verification (no idea this was even necessary, always knew physician letters were optional but it seems for DO schools they are a necessity. Can anyone link me to a source that shows schools that do not require it so I can maybe apply there asap if I don't have the LoR by that time?)

Where did you read this that physician letter is optional? Some DO schools accept MD letter. If you haven't shadowed DR then how do you know you want to be a doctor? You MUSt have DO/MD letter. You are a very competitive applicant. Shadow a DR, get letter asap.

Most schools accept MD letters. Don't go too nuts trying to get a DO letter. It's good, but a really strong MD letter beats a meh DO letter any day, including at DO schools.

I don't understand why you're only applying now. Actually I don't understand why you're even applying DO. Your numbers are pretty damn strong

Members don't see this ad :)

Where did you read this that physician letter is optional? Some DO schools accept MD letter. If you haven't shadowed DR then how do you know you want to be a doctor? You MUSt have DO/MD letter. You are a very competitive applicant. Shadow a DR, get letter asap.

I should have been more clear. I meant that from what I had seen in the past, which must have been MD schools not DO. If I had checked DO schools then I'm sure I would have known for years. I have shadowed physicians (didn't list ECs) but not a DO.

As for why apply now and why not MD? I don't want to deal with a sept 2015 expiring. Since some schools look at your Mcat score from the time you start med school, which for applying next cycle would be in 2019 fall for me, my mcat would be older than 3 years. I'll give MD schools a shot as well but being verified in November seems a bit late and I don't have any qualms with DO schools anyway.

Last edited:
It's a shame you didn't realize this earlier...your app is MD worthy, but at this point in the cycle your chances are slim except for maybe at your state schools. Then again, you mentioned you're a CA resident, so probably not....

I might be wrong on this, but I believe that for an MCAT score to be valid, you have to matriculate within 3 years of the score? In that case, you would be SOL for pretty much everywhere if you didn't apply till next cycle, because you'd be matriculating in 2019. So, unfortunately unless you feel like taking the MCAT again, it looks like you're gonna have to shoot for DO this cycle and hope for the best.

Practically every school doesn't require a DO letter. Some require a physician letter, but it can be MD or DO.

A lot of schools don't require a D.O. letter. But many say its "strongly recommended" or will ask "why osteopathic medicine." You probably want to have a good answer for it, and show you were willing to go the extra mile.

I can totally get that you're worried about losing the MCAT score you worked hard on. Gap year limbo sucks. But as you go through this cycle start looking toward the next. Be aware a lot of MD interviews will be out by the time you're verified, and some DO schools are already onto Dec and Jan with their interview dates. Your scores are kind of middling for MD. Given the schools stratify apps getting late interviews if you're complete in November might not be out of the question. For DO you should at least get some shadowing done if you won't get a letter.

Thanks folks. I can ask a MD I shadowed to write a letter now in case I don't find a DO willing to shadow/write letter in the next week or 2. Also, good luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 1 user