Really Annoyed at LOR writer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TotalDomination

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,

I asked this prof for a rec 2 years ago. She told me 1.5 years ago she wrote it and turned it in. Just found out from my committee it was never turned it. Called her and asked her if she could turn it in ASAP, she said yes definitely sorry about that. She told me to email her and it would be turned in by Tuesday. I emailed her (3 times once on monday, then wednesday and yesterday), no reply. I called her and she's not picking up. I'm stressing because if it's not in, my committee won't write my letter and it's going to reflect extremely poorly. I am not sure what to do and would love some advice.

Thanks.

Edit: I'm currently living in Maine and can't go to her physically because I didn't go to school here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Keep working with her, but you might want to find a backup writer asap. Also, let your committee know about the trouble you are having so that they may be more lax on the deadlines. They also might have advice for you.

I had a writer who was two months late, and my committee just went ahead and wrote the letter because I had enough letters without her letter. Once she had submitted the letter, they just attached it to the package. It all worked out, but it was incredibly stressful.

Can you get a new writer? It's pretty obvious she won't do it/doesn't want to do it/can't do it and isn't able to just admit it. Find someone else and move on. Be sure to tell the committee so they don't hold it against you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you get a new writer? It's pretty obvious she won't do it/doesn't want to do it/can't do it and isn't able to just admit it. Find someone else and move on. Be sure to tell the committee so they don't hold it against you.

It's way too late to find someone new! I just wish she told me earlier she didn't want to write it. I'm going to contact the university dean if she doesn't follow through because it's really screwing me over. She said she would be more than happy to write me a letter and even told me this week she would definitely get it in soon. Like wtf?

It's way too late to find someone new! I just wish she told me earlier she didn't want to write it. I'm going to contact the university dean if she doesn't follow through because it's really screwing me over. She said she would be more than happy to write me a letter and even told me this week she would definitely get it in soon. Like wtf?

I would suggest talking to your pre-med advisor (probably also the person writing your committee letter) about your issue. I was in a similar situation at one point, my professor said she would write a letter and was happy to do it. I contacted her about it 2-3 more times (a voicemail, two emails--spread out over time, definitely not pushy) after the initial contact point and she still hadn't turned anything in. Honestly, some people just don't like writing or are just very busy. I mentioned the situation to my advisor, he contacted her, and within a week I had a letter. I think contact from an advisor is official enough for them to get their stuff together but not SO official (i.e. the Dean) that they resent you. Also, think back and make sure that this is someone who actually did like you, rule out the possibility that they said yes only because they didn't know how to say no and are now avoiding you.

After you get your advisor involved you need to back off. Remember that you want a positive letter, the last thing you want to do is annoy your letter writer because then the letter you've fought so hard for may just be a letter you don't want.

I would suggest talking to your pre-med advisor (probably also the person writing your committee letter) about your issue. I was in a similar situation at one point, my professor said she would write a letter and was happy to do it. I contacted her about it 2-3 more times (a voicemail, two emails--spread out over time, definitely not pushy) after the initial contact point and she still hadn't turned anything in. Honestly, some people just don't like writing or are just very busy. I mentioned the situation to my advisor, he contacted her, and within a week I had a letter. I think contact from an advisor is official enough for them to get their stuff together but not SO official (i.e. the Dean) that they resent you. Also, think back and make sure that this is someone who actually did like you, rule out the possibility that they said yes only because they didn't know how to say no and are now avoiding you.

After you get your advisor involved you need to back off. Remember that you want a positive letter, the last thing you want to do is annoy your letter writer because then the letter you've fought so hard for may just be a letter you don't want.

I asked my advisor for help. I think that's the best course of action. I'm just upset because she told me it was turned in a year ago. There was zero reason to lie to me.

I'm going to contact the university dean if she doesn't follow through because it's really screwing me over.
Don't drag the dean into this. Complaining to your professor's boss is not going to make her happy. Do talk to your premed advisor. He or she has probably had to deal with finicky letter writers many times before and will have a diplomatic way of dealing with the situation.

Contacting the dean is definitely a bad idea. Don't take offense, but it sounds partially like your fault for never checking that the letter was received for almost two years, then having to scramble to get it together in a week. While it's unfortunate that your professor didn't follow through with what they originally said they would do, that is just the way it often is. Never just assume people will follow through with what they will do, especially when dealing with people who typically have a lot on their plate as most professors do.

Contacting the dean is definitely a bad idea. Don't take offense, but it sounds partially like your fault for never checking that the letter was received for almost two years, then having to scramble to get it together in a week. While it's unfortunate that your professor didn't follow through with what they originally said they would do, that is just the way it often is. Never just assume people will follow through with what they will do, especially when dealing with people who typically have a lot on their plate as most professors do.

No I confirmed with her that she sent it in a long time ago. She emailed me saying it was sent in and wished me good luck with the applications. Also my premed advisors made a mistake and told me it was in about a year ago as well.

I agree with the dean, I'm just communicating with my advisors and hope they can help me.

I was in a position kind of like that. I needed a letter from this person and she kept saying she would write it. After a dozen e-mails of her saying she would write it, and two months of wasted time, I finally said "screw it." Some people are spineless and can't say "no." Find another letter writer, if you can.