Really bad ECs and about 1.5 years left. This sound like an okay plan?

grindtime1

7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Have done pretty much nothing through my first 2+ years in undergrad and am looking to start now.

Assuming an average gpa and mcat (3.65/low 30s), would these ECs suffice for an MD school?

- 1 year of hospice volunteering
- 100 hours of ER volunteering
- 20 hours shadowing 4 different specialties
- 100 hours of nursing home volunteering
- TA for chemistry lab one semester (not one full year, just one semester)

Would that be enough or is it not even close?

wanderer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I had about 2 years or perhaps a little less listed in terms of activities (other than hobbies). I got several acceptances though I likely I would have had more if I had activities before then listed. I also had good answers if i was asked what I had done early on in college (they usually asked this indirectly).

Your clinical ECs look fine but you NEED non-clinical things. (E.g. research, community service, hobbies, etc.)

OP
G

grindtime1

7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I had about 2 years or perhaps a little less listed in terms of activities (other than hobbies). I got several acceptances though I likely I would have had more if I had activities before then listed. I also had good answers if i was asked what I had done early on in college (they usually asked this indirectly).

Your clinical ECs look fine but you NEED non-clinical things. (E.g. research, community service, hobbies, etc.)
What about the 100 hours at the nursing home.

Jan 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
in my limited experience with this process research seems to be the biggest gap in your ECs. I have one research experience and it was brought up everywhere I interviewed.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Depends on what you did there.
Yeah agree with this, if you anticipate doing things closer to caring for individuals' health it might be a safer bet to do something really obviously not medical (i.e. habitat for humanity, to pick a common one)

wanderer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
So the non-medical volunteering should have less interaction with/caring for people pretty much?
Sort of. In my experience clinical volunteering isn't really looked at as community service (for the most part).
Some examples of community service:
Soup kitchen, Habitat for humanity (as previously mentioned), working with homeless, tutoring underprivileged students, being a big sibling, church-related-activities, delivering meals. There are also some things that involve patients that aren't necessarily clinical. For example playing musical instruments for sick children or whatever.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
Hopefully you meant 20 hours each for four different specialties rather than 20 hours total, so as to appeal to a broader number of schools?

Why not substitute one of the clinical experience gigs with some weekly nonmedical community service along the lines that wanderer100 has suggested above? You'd still have enough clinical experience and nonmedical volunteerism seems to be increasingly important to adcomms from feedback we've seen here on SND.

Jul 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
So the non-medical volunteering should have less interaction with/caring for people pretty much?
The ECs you listed look pretty much like a premed doing some solely to get in med skul. what are your hobbies outside of academics??? You need to do some outside of normal premed course. Also you need some leadership which IMO is lacking here.

MacVA

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
Status
Non-Student
Have done pretty much nothing through my first 2+ years in undergrad and am looking to start now.

Assuming an average gpa and mcat (3.65/low 30s), would these ECs suffice for an MD school?

- 1 year of hospice volunteering
- 100 hours of ER volunteering
- 20 hours shadowing 4 different specialties
- 100 hours of nursing home volunteering
- TA for chemistry lab one semester (not one full year, just one semester)

Would that be enough or is it not even close?
I am not sure that this would be considered "pretty much nothing". I would suggest adding on some more Shadowing...

Other than that, I think you are fine.

Jul 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I am not sure that this would be considered "pretty much nothing". I would suggest adding on some more Shadowing...

Other than that, I think you are fine.
he is saying that these are the things he plans to do in the future